Harvard Fall Tournament III (11/15/08) -- Cambridge, MA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Harvard Fall Tournament III (11/15/08) -- Cambridge, MA

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

This is going at the top because it's really important.

We're finally okay with buzzers.

We're also okay with teams, since Kellenberg and State College both have extra kids who wanted to form teams, so this is all great. One of the eleven teams, between the two schools, might be a little bit mixed, but this is as yet unplanned.

On with the regularly scheduled programming.

The Harvard College Bowl Club will host the third annual Harvard Fall Tournament on Saturday, November 15, 2008.

My name is Andrew Watkins, and I will be serving as tournament director. Kyle Haddad-Fonda and I will be serving as the tournament's editors. Register through me, by email: I can be reached at [email protected]. In order for me to put you down as having registered, I need to receive an email with "HFT Registration" in the subject line from you. "School X will be bringing five teams" is okay. "We are thinking of maybe bringing 1-7 teams" is not. I will reply to it (probably briefly) if I receive it, and that will be your confirmation.

Confirmed Field (36 teams)
State College (x7)
Kellenberg (x4)
Brookwood (x2)
Simsbury (x2)
Concord Carlisle (x2)
Dunbar (x2)
The Ranney School (x2)
E. O. Smith (x2)
Hunter (x1)
Mount Pleasant (x1)
Shady Side Academy (x1)\
Whitman (x1)
St. Andrew's (x1)
The Bromfield School (x1)
Norwich Free Academy (x1)
Newtown High School (x1)
New Rochelle High School (x1)
Gonzaga (x1)
Needham (x1)
Half Hollow Hills West (x1)
Stuyvesant (x1)

The tournament will be PACE gold, meaning that the top eight teams--rather than the top four--will get automatic bids to the PACE NSC.

Questions

As in previous years, the questions will be house-written. They are longer than the typical NAQT or state-format tossup, and they are weighted towards academics.

To get a sample round from last fall's tournament, visit our website.

Tournament format

Rounds will be untimed and consist of packets of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses. Assuming we hit our projected field of 36 teams, teams will be assigned to six brackets of six teams, play a full round robin, and then, after any necessary tiebreakers, get rebracketed into six brackets of six teams, followed by a playoff round robin and subsequent finals (if necessary). This means that every team is guaranteed ten rounds of play, plus the possibility of tiebreakers and finals.

We're running the top two playoff brackets on questions of higher difficulty, in a similar manner to how NAQT writes questions for both Division I and Division II college teams: four brackets would hear a tossup on The Great Gatsby, and two would hear a tossup on Tender Is the Night; four brackets would hear a tossup on the Peloponnesian War, and two would hear a tossup on the battle of Aegospotami.

Fee structure

Just like last year, essentially:

$70 base fee
$60 additional teams from the same school
-$10 buzzer discount
-$10 travel discount for more than 200 miles

Long distance teams

We love New England teams, but we also want to attract teams from all over the country, especially when these teams have juniors and seniors who might be particularly interested in our campus (it's awesome) and playing excellent quiz bowl. Consequently, further fee discounts are negotiable.

I can provide information about travel arrangements and hotel accommodations, so email me about that if you need to.

Our group rate is filled, and that's all she wrote.

Logistics

The tournament will be held in Sever Hall like last year. When the time of the competition nears, I will provide competing teams with necessary directions. So that the most teams possible can make this a day trip, we plan to start the tournament at a decent hour (leaving room for travel on both ends, albeit with a very early departure and very late return home). More information on that, of course, as tournament time approaches.

Disclaimer

Though there is little reason why any of this should need to change, we ought to leave ourselves an out. Though the date of the tournament currently does not conflict with any college tournaments, or with the SAT or ACT, if the world ends and one of these things changes, we'll need to change as well. However, this is very, very unlikely.
Last edited by Mechanical Beasts on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Andrew Watkins
The Infanta
Wakka

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament III (11/15/08) -- Cambridge, MA

Post by The Infanta »

I'm 95% sure we'll be there.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Your alma mater would like to be there. Now I have to convince Dr. Malone...
-Charlie
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

While I appreciate both of your enthusiastic responses, I'd love to see other teams--particularly those teams that have contacted me specifically about their interest in the tournament through other media--post in this thread, as well.

Phone tag is underway with the last of several hotels with which we're negotiating.

If you are a coach or otherwise interested party and don't receive an email within the next hour or so, but would like to be kept up to date on proceedings through that medium, please email me at [email protected] or [email protected] (or both!) so that I can add you to our list.

EDIT: reality check
Last edited by Mechanical Beasts on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Watkins
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

everyday847 wrote: If you are a coach or otherwise interested party and don't receive an email within the next hour or so, but would like to be kept up to date on proceedings through that medium, please PM me your email address so that I can add you to our list.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but PMs are not enabled on the boards.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

You break my heart. Original post edited (just email me at [email protected] or [email protected]).
Andrew Watkins
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hey, I have a request/suggestion: would it be feasible to attach a side-event to this tournament? Since HFT generally attracts the strongest field outside of WoQ and nationals, I think it would be worthwhile. Right now, I'm on borderline for attending this tournament since I'm not sure if great questions and a great field would be worth $100 (with hotels and whatnot) and 7~ hours of travel. A cool side event would definitely make WJ lean towards attending.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

How's this for a side event?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Matt Weiner wrote:How's this for a side event?
For what it's worth, I plan on sending a team to this, and it would be great if we could get a few others too.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Although I do enjoy playing against Guy Tabachnick, it's not much of an incentive since I was planning to head back and play at the UMD mirror with some cool kids.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

aestheteboy wrote:
Although I do enjoy playing against Guy Tabachnick, it's not much of an incentive since I was planning to head back and play at the UMD mirror with some cool kids.
Wouldn't it be just as easy for us to just play this mirror and then go home?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Andy is writing a "20th century" side event. The theme (I believe) is humanities of the 20th century. If people want we could potentially tweak the side event to something more concrete like history or arts.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Ted's right. I'm not so sure it'd be terribly easy to tweak it to arts, say, given that currently there's 0/0 arts in the tournament--but I'd be all too willing to write some tossups on whatever subject is in high demand for a side event. Once I have 100 tossups written for my tournament, I'll start considering what else might be in high demand.

But yeah, Daichi, attending our tournament allows you to play HFT plus IO. Plus the IO side, if it gets mirrored, if you want. Plus five to seven rounds of twentieth century lit, history, and trash.

It would be an extraordinary thing if the presence of the IO mirror would enhance attendance. That would say great, great things about the circuit.

One note: by Thursday we will have final hotel information in terms of group/preferred/whatever rates, not to mention general recommendations of where a good place to stay is (and absolutely by Thursday, since the person I have dealing with this is getting her wisdom teeth out the next day and probably won't be interested in talking to hotels). What it looks like at the moment is that the most convenient hotel will give us up to four times as many rooms if we grab two nights (and the other hotels will likely have similar policies). So we're going to be doing that for as many as forty rooms. So it's a very good idea financially for everyone if y'all stay for IO.
Andrew Watkins
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Notes on the Balinese Foglight wrote:
aestheteboy wrote:
Wouldn't it be just as easy for us to just play this mirror and then go home?
Yeah, it would be almost equally convenient either way, which is why it wouldn't be an incentive.

Anyway, 5-7 rounds of 20th century humanities sounds pretty cool (without trash it would be even cooler). I mean, I would love a fine arts side event, but I'm happy to play anything that you guys come up with. Our attendance will depend on a lot more than just my desire to attend, so I can't say for sure if we'll make it, but thanks for writing this.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

aestheteboy wrote: Anyway, 5-7 rounds of 20th century humanities sounds pretty cool (without trash it would be even cooler). I mean, I would love a fine arts side event, but I'm happy to play anything that you guys come up with. Our attendance will depend on a lot more than just my desire to attend, so I can't say for sure if we'll make it, but thanks for writing this.
Yeah, the decision to include trash was a difficult one, mostly because I myself don't love playing trash and am somewhere between mediocre and terrible at it. I decided to do so both so that I could develop some knowledge, so that I could write tossups on subjects I really wanted to write about, and because since frequently schools on trips operate as groups, more people are likely to be able to attend the event if there's a good reason for more than one or two players to stay behind. I empathize with you, though.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Original message edited with information about one of the hotels with which we have negotiated a group rate. As I say up there--don't call them until Thursday September 4th; because of administrative lag they might not actually enter our request until then.
Andrew Watkins
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

$189 a night?! Yeesh.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Cambridge, by and large, is awful with all prices especially when it comes to hotels. I'd assume most communities whose populations like double nine months out of twelve are like that.
Andrew Watkins
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Last year for the HMMT I stayed at the Best Western Hotel Tria, and rooms were about $130 per night with AAA discount. The rooms were pretty nice, easily fit 4 people, and there was a free continental breakfast plus waffles. Also there was an indoor swimming pool, and the parking lot was perfect for a snowball fight. Just putting it out there.

Edit:
Oh, and also they had a free shuttle to Harvard square, but it only ran every half hour.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
yisun
Lulu

Post by yisun »

I stayed at the same Best Western when moving in to Harvard and will also give my endorsement for decent pricing. It's also located about half a mile away from the subway, which will get you to Harvard as well.
Yi from Harvard
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

The Mismeasure of Flan wrote:Last year for the HMMT I stayed at the Best Western Hotel Tria, and rooms were about $130 per night with AAA discount. The rooms were pretty nice, easily fit 4 people, and there was a free continental breakfast plus waffles. Also there was an indoor swimming pool, and the parking lot was perfect for a snowball fight. Just putting it out there.

Edit:
Oh, and also they had a free shuttle to Harvard square, but it only ran every half hour.
For four people, the rate right now is $188 with AAA, $209 without. I'd expect that that rate will get worse as the hotel gets fuller, meaning that the average rate that teams will pay as the hotel fills up from its current state to full will probably be worse than what we can get elsewhere, plus it's further. I'll look into it, but I don't foresee this resulting in any savings for anyone.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Final hotel information posted. Note that both of these hotels are more convenient than and cheaper than that Best Western option. Even if you can apply the AAA discount to the Best Western and not on top of the group rate (which I do not think is the case), you're spending two dollars more a night for a whole lot more convenience--no big loss, I'd say. So save money, and in the process help to meet our contractual obligations!
Andrew Watkins
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Re: hotels, I would also look into the Gateway Inn. I have never been there and don't know why it's so much cheaper than other places in Cambridge, but they advertise double-occupancy rooms for $95/night. It is not, however, particularly convenient. They claim to have a shuttle to the Alewife T station, but that's a lot of different modes of transportation to have to use.

Re: parking, you should be able to park on campus for $5 if you register 24 hours in advance (Andy will get you the access code and a map, closer to the date). If you plan on bringing a *bus*, however, you should let Andy know immediately so that he can start looking into places for you to put it. I think it should work out this year because the Littauer lot is no longer being renovated and because there is no home football game that weekend, but you should still let Andy know soon.

Re: non-quizbowl side events, in past years many teams have had interest in seeing Harvard as well as coming to play quizbowl. While I'm not totally okay with the idea of our campus as a tourist destination, I recognize that teams with seniors or juniors are interested in a tour. Last year after a few weeks of wrestling with trying to get official tour information, I told one team that I would find them a freshman to show them around on Friday night if they would slip him a $10 bill afterwards. I'm sure there will be lots of new, bubbly, content, idealistic freshmen willing to share a positive view of our university and life inside its gates. If you're interested, tell Watkins and he can set your team up.

Re: questions, we're busy writing. It's going to be a good tournament, so you should all definitely consider coming!
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
The Laughing Man
Lulu

Post by The Laughing Man »

It is pretty likely that we will bring a bus, although we aren't sure at this point.
Ben, State College '09
Swarthmore '13
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood (GA) is planning on attending with two teams.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I'd like to echo what Chris said in his thread about the Maryland tournament. Though I can get a good preliminary sense of things from this thread, I can't count anyone as being registered in any final sense until you send me an email with "HFT Registration" in the subject line. This way I can quickly filter through my communication with coaches, which already is over two hundred emails, into messages that actually have to do with final known quantities.

Please feel free to let me know preliminary concerns et cetera in this thread and through email, but if you show up with ten eager teams that you mentioned you might want to bring either in this thread or in an email, but never finalized, I'll have to--sadly, mind you--turn you away.

So that's [email protected], please.
Andrew Watkins
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Ok, just to clarify: is HFT the only thing going on that weekend in Cambridge, or will there be IO and/or 20th century side tournament?
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

The 20th Century deal is still going on, though I haven't finished the set yet. I'll announce it once I do.

The Brandeis IO mirror is, regrettably, happening on Saturday as well, because classrooms couldn't be secured for Sunday.
Andrew Watkins
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Bloomfield has extreme interest in going, will get back to you when we find out if our District will let us go.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I've updated the field a few times.

Don't forget to let me know that you're coming by email, et cetera.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

More field updates are up top. We now have 20-21 teams confirmed as attending. Get those registrations in, people! I'm happy to write more packets or do whatever's necessary to accommodate a larger field, but I'd much prefer to write two packets over the next two months than write them both the night before the tournament. So if you happen to be planning on taking twelve teams... do please let me know.

Also, be sure to stay in the Residence Inn to nab that group rate.
Andrew Watkins
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

everyday847 wrote:I'm happy to make Kyle write more packets
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Kyle wrote:
everyday847 wrote:I'm happy to make Kyle write more packets
I want ten tossups on "hills" on my desk by tomorrow morning.
Andrew Watkins
Salt Lake Dream
Lulu

Post by Salt Lake Dream »

Whitman will attend and bring a buzzer.
Whenever "Falkland Islands" is the answer, you know that you're supposed to say "Islas Malvinas" because they truly belong to Argentina.
Daniel Brezina
Walt Whitman 09'
UMBC
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

brezhnev wrote:Whitman will attend and bring a buzzer.
Excellent. One team, then? Also, email me so that I have your email along with everyone else's. So that you don't miss the memo when we cancel the tournament due to squirrel attacks.
Andrew Watkins
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

everyday847 wrote: So that you don't miss the memo when we cancel the tournament due to squirrel attacks.
You joke about this, but we lost electricity for almost five hours here last Sunday because of one of those demons.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

See! See! I told you all!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

C'mon, guys, yer derailing my thread!

In all seriousness:

Field update. At the moment, teams deciding to bring their buzzers would be very welcome indeed.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I've just been informed that schools wishing to stay at the Residence Inn Cambridge, as they should wish to, need to get reservations by 10/24.

Also, teams that have vaguely indicated strong interest--i.e. Bloomfield, State College, you know who you are--should actually register as soon as you know you can come. It helps us a lot. Thanks.
Andrew Watkins
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Yeah yeah, I'm in the middle of it. My adviser was worried hotels would be filled, but with a hard date to give her I can actually get an answer now.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

TheCzarMan wrote:Yeah yeah, I'm in the middle of it. My adviser was worried hotels would be filled, but with a hard date to give her I can actually get an answer now.
Yeah, the idea of taking a group rate is that we bear a WHOLE LOT of risk so that you guys have guaranteed--and decently cheaper--hotel space. So basically--please, please, please stay in the hotel. We're contractually obligated to pay for the rooms we don't fill, and we're pretty much broke. Also, it's literally the best hotel there.

Other noted team that hasn't said anything decisive enough yet: Hunter. Come on, Guy, where else will you get to play Dunbar and Brookwood?

Guys, continue to recruit other teams on your circuits. Do my work for me!
Andrew Watkins
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

Byram is considering this (and by considering it, I mean that I'm going to try to convince our A team to go on the Fung Wah bus at 5 in the morning).
Eric Fischer
Byram Hills High School '09
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Just email me when you know for sure.

This also goes for noted team that has been considering going State College, in addition to the aforementioned ones. Also, Whitman needs to give me a contact email address (possibly by emailing me!).
Andrew Watkins
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

erkifish26 wrote:Byram is considering this (and by considering it, I mean that I'm going to try to convince our A team to go on the Fung Wah bus at 5 in the morning).
Last I heard, Fung Wah didn't have any buses leaving from New York anytime near 5:00.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Stay in the hotel then! We could use the action.
Andrew Watkins
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

dyetman89 wrote:
erkifish26 wrote:Byram is considering this (and by considering it, I mean that I'm going to try to convince our A team to go on the Fung Wah bus at 5 in the morning).
Last I heard, Fung Wah didn't have any buses leaving from New York anytime near 5:00.
Maybe we'll take it up the night before then and crash in the room of our ex-captain... he claims he can fit us.
Eric Fischer
AgentZero
Kimahri

Post by AgentZero »

Bloomfield cannot attend.
Some kid from Bloomfield High School in New Jersey
Seriously, knock this fake signature stuff off - Fred
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

Put Byram down for one... I'm determined to make this work. I'll e-mail you right now as well.
Eric Fischer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Big field update. Note that the upper bound on the number of teams that may have registered (because people have guaranteed that they'll bring at least n teams, and so I'll at least consider how many more they might bring) is currently 34. This means that getting your registrations in is increasingly important, people. We may consider expanding the field as necessary, but I make no guarantees.
Andrew Watkins
NRacademicteam
Lulu

Post by NRacademicteam »

put New Rochelle High School down for one spot. Looking forward to more competition than Chip Beal could ever offer :grin: :grin: