Grad Students and DII

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Grad Students and DII

Post by Cheynem »

As far as I know, both NAQT and ACF do not consider any grad students, regardless of quizbowl experience, to qualify for Division II. I seem to recall talking about this at one point before, but that was a while ago:

EDIT: Apparently, I'm wrong and grad students can be considered DII.

I wonder if Division II should entirely focus on quizbowl experience and not consider undergraduate/graduate status. If a grad student is genuinely new to college quizbowl, I am not sure if the advantages of greater age/education (presumably) outweigh simply lack of experience at quizbowl. Being a grad student is extremely time-consuming and difficult, and I would imagine "new to the game" examples are rare. What do people think?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Re: Grad Students and DII

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:13 pm EDIT: Apparently, I'm wrong and grad students can be considered DII.
I agree with this for NAQT, since NAQT only bases DII off of SCT/ICT performance. But looking at the ACF website, the rule is:
Official ACF Eligibility Rules, Rule 13 wrote: For collegiate tournaments that recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of “Division II” status (such as all ACF tournaments), a “Division II” player is any player who first enrolled in a collegiate program in the ongoing competition year or in the competition year immediately prior to the ongoing one (i.e. is any freshman/first-year or sophomore/second-year)
To me, that rule means that only undergraduate collegiate freshman and sophomores can play (Edit: DII). Am I interpreting "first enrolled in a collegiate program" wrong?

On another, but related, note: why does NAQT remove DII eligibility upon receiving an invite for ICT? I'm sure I've missed a discussion on this in the past or something.
Eleanor
they/she
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Grad Students and DII

Post by Important Bird Area »

As Mike's edit notes, graduate students are eligible to play Division II at NAQT SCT and ICT (assuming they meet the other requirements).
settlej wrote:why does NAQT remove DII eligibility upon receiving an invite for ICT?
In general terms, what we're trying to measure here is overall quizbowl skill and experience. So the eligibility criteria list "were you on a team that was invited to ICT?" in addition to "did you actually compete at the ICT?" - it doesn't seem quite right to keep a player's eligibility in Division II just because they were unable to make travel plans for the ICT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred