Discussion forums for old sets

Old college threads.
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Discussion forums for old sets

Post by 1.82 »

I'm not sure where the right place is to put this ("Rules and global announcements" would seem to be the most relevant board, but it's locked), but for roughly the last three years, discussion forums for old sets haven't been made public, even after the set is posted. Presumably this isn't an intentional decision (I'm not sure what purpose it would serve to embargo discussion of sets that are already clear), but it's a mild frustration and it would be great if all the discussion forums for sets that have already been posted to the packet archive could be made public, as they were in the past.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Victor Prieto
Auron

Re: Discussion forums for old sets

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hi, popping in to say that Naveed is right about this, there are numerous old discussion groups dating back to 2014 that are cluttering things up a bit and it would be great if someone could archive them.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

I've started cleaning some of these up (moving the threads to College Area Archives and deleting the subforums). One thing I'll note is that I would be very grateful if, as we move forward, private forum administrators would begin all of their thread titles with a tournament-specific identifier (e.g., naming your threads "ACF Regionals 2019: General Discussion" rather than "General Discussion"). Having to rename every thread in a bunch of the forums is a time-consuming step that I think we can avoid in the future.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Susan wrote:I've started cleaning some of these up (moving the threads to College Area Archives, deleting the subforums, and deleting any associated usergroups that are still hanging around). One thing I'll note is that I would be very grateful if, as we move forward, private forum administrators would begin all of their thread titles with a tournament-specific identifier (e.g., naming your threads "ACF Regionals 2019: General Discussion" rather than "General Discussion"). Having to rename every thread in a bunch of the forums is a time-consuming step that I think we can avoid in the future.
Thanks for doing this, Susan!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

It appears that the 2018 FST General and Specific Question discussion was transferred from a usergroup to this forum. The set was not clear and there was still a planned mirror at Virginia Tech in the fall, though now that mirror will need to be cancelled for question security reasons. This is partly my fault for not making it clear in the set announcement post that a mirror was still happening in the fall, but in the future can the forum mods check with set editors to see if a set is clear before moving the set discussions? Thanks
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

TaylorH wrote:It appears that the 2018 FST General and Specific Question discussion was transferred from a usergroup to this forum. The set was not clear and there was still a planned mirror at Virginia Tech in the fall, though now that mirror will need to be cancelled for question security reasons. This is partly my fault for not making it clear in the set announcement post that a mirror was still happening in the fall, but in the future can the forum mods check with set editors to see if a set is clear before moving the set discussions? Thanks
I don't see that forum? subforum? so I'm not sure there really is an issue here; are you positive?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

I can see both threads on the "Collegiate Discussion" sub forum. Maybe I can only see these threads because I am in the original usergroup? It looked to me like it was view-able to anyone, but it could just be me/ others in the original usergroup.
Last edited by TaylorH on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

I can't see them either. Try logging out, if you can still see it not logged into your account then there's an issue.
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

I logged out and could still see the threads (along with threads from CMST, SMT, Historature, and others) a ways down the first page, as could two of my teammates when logged out.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

I can definitely see these, and I never had access to the discussion group in the first place.
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =9&t=21172
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =9&t=21173
Matt
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

As someone who was never part of the (now since deleted) usergroup, the threads are definitely there and publically accessible, so there is no real way to undo this since anyone could have viewed the threads.

While I didn't do any of the usergroup/subforum pruning, I'd like to apologize that this happened, and we'll be more vigilant about making sure sets are clear before removing them in the future.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10