FRENCH Open

Old college threads.
Shorts are comfy and easy to wear
Lulu

FRENCH Open

Post by Shorts are comfy and easy to wear »

I look forward to seeing what people have to say and welcome any and all respectful constructive criticism. Much of why I wrote FRENCH was to learn how to improve my question writing, so I'd appreciate your feedback.

Before we begin, you should know that more than one version of the set has been distributed. After sending it to Oxford, many questions were edited for clarity, clue ordering, and prompt instructions, and I'm currently doing those things again after seeing it played at Michigan. The changes are small, but could impact the course of discussion.
Alex Fregeau
UIUC 2016 Linguistics
Lewis Univeristy 2022 Secondary Education
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Re: FRENCH Open

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

Are there more mirrors of this set planned? If so, this discussion should occur in a private forum.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Agreed on the private thing.

In terms of general-ness, while I'm not a buff of the particular topics emphasized (even the American seemed really heavily military), I enjoyed playing the set. The things I did know, I felt featured good clues for the most part.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This was the most fun I've ever had playing a quizbowl tournament, even though I played like an utter moron. It's also the first time since my freshman year of college that I got a higher percentage of buzzes from "real knowledge" than quizbowl-specific studying. I highly recommend playing.

EDIT: I also hope final stats are up soon! :)
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

I'd say more in detail in a private discussion but:
1) for a 1 man tournament, this was exceptionally well thought out, with a few exceptions.
2) Perhaps my major criticism (which may well have been dealt with by further editing!) was that some answerlines, especially descriptive ones, quite often could have done with extra prompts or details - especially as (at least in the UK) most of the readers were kind non-history players giving up their time to indulge the historians, so might be less familiar with other acceptable answers given.
3) Thank you for writing a tournament geared almost precisely to things I know.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I had a blast playing this set. It had some of the polish problems listed above, but it also had a ton of questions on exciting material and felt more fun and fresh than the 2 CO History events I've played. Keep up the good work!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

I had a great time seeing this set evolve from a few questions Fregeau wrote and we played at UIUC practices to a final product. This was a great first writing effort and, based what I heard in the hallway, people had a blast playing it.

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:EDIT: I also hope final stats are up soon! :)
I've already talked to a few people privately but final stats for the Michigan site should hopefully be up in the next few days. There are a few issues with the existing stats stemming from the roster shakeup as people left and other things that popped up but these should be simple fixes when I have some time to sit down and look at them.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

jasonzhou wrote:Are there more mirrors of this set planned? If so, this discussion should occur in a private forum.
Yes, Canada's doing a mirror on the weekend of 3/18-3/19
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Yeah, the subject matter of this set was far too ancient/medieval heavy for my taste, but all the questions were pretty solid, and it's not like I can say I wasn't warned in advance.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I've created a private discussion forum for FRENCH. You can join through the user control panel in the usual way.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum