Virginia universities active in QuizBowl?

Old college threads.
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Virginia universities active in QuizBowl?

Post by SpanishSpy »

As you can see by my signature I'm at William & Mary. I know that Virginia Tech, UVA, and Liberty all have active teams. Are there any other colleges in Virginia that have active teams?
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Re: Virginia universities active in QuizBowl?

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

VCU

Roanoke played D2 SCT last year, though I know nothing of their current status
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

From a look at Harry White's search tool, Radford and Longwood have showed up to events hosted by Liberty on NAQT's IS-C sets this year and the year previous. Both of their last regular-difficulty events appear to be the 2014 SCT, which both attended. Southern Virginia University attended the 2014 SCT but hasn't been anywhere since then. George Mason attended the NAQT IS-C event at Georgetown this year, their first recorded appearance at an event since 2013 ACF Nats (there's also a high school called George Mason, which makes searching for them a lot of fun), so hopefully that team is building. Roanoke came to SCT but hasn't been to any events thus far in the fall. Add them to the list of teams that are well-known and established programs.

George Mason, Liberty, UVA, Virginia Tech, and W&M are the only universities within the Commonwealth of Virginia to have attended a quizbowl event listed by hdwhite.org since the semester began -- correct me if I'm wrong. This isn't too bad given that ACF Fall is yet to happen, but not ideal at all since EFT has passed and I doubt teams which aren't yet established are going to make the journey to one of two regional Penn Bowl sites. (Maybe get them to Terrapin?)

There are a number of schools outside the state that show up to Virginia events and host events which are attended by Virginia teams in DC, Maryland, and North Carolina. Additionally, there are a number of schools which could probably support a team and which have experienced varying degrees of outreach but for whatever reason aren't involved with quizbowl.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

gettysburg11 wrote:VCU

Roanoke played D2 SCT last year, though I know nothing of their current status
I am a idiot for forgetting VCU. I went to VCU last year for competition.

Seeing RexSuciaes' post, I can see GMU does stuff and Roanoke did one thing. I've also run into Duke and Maryland at Virginia events.

I've been tossing around reaching out to Old Dominion for a potential team - I have contacts there and access to some of their groups.
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019