George Oppen: Errata

Old college threads.
Eddie
Rikku

George Oppen: Errata

Post by Eddie »

Here's some typos and grammatical mistakes I found yesterday while reading the set.

Round 1:
TU 8: "The Wasteland" for "The Waste Land"
Bonus 9: "this its patriotic song" for "its patriotic song"

Round 2:
TU 6: "This building was were Duccio's" for "This building was where Duccio's"
Bonus 4: "renowed" for "renowned"
Bonus 9: "eastern part Karelia" for "eastern part of Karelia"
Bonus 10: "New York city" for "New York City"
Bonus 12: "such Alan Sillitoe" for "such as Alan Sillitoe"
Bonus 13: "the Eleanor Roosevelt" for "Eleanor Roosevelt"

Round 3:
Bonus 3: "largest, that" for "largest, that" (the first one has two spaces between "largest," and "that")
Bonus 9: "Lest we forget—lest we forget!" for "Lest we forget - lest we forget!"
Bonus 10: "mutated belong" for ????
Bonus 13: "economic recover" for "economic recovery"

Round 5:
Bonus 5: A couple of people in my room were confused by the usage of "disciple" to refer to Luke, since he isn't considered one of the Twelve Disciples.

Round 6:
TU 5: "Daily Dispa tch" for "Daily Dispatch"
Bonus 6: "to this of this" for "to this"
Bonus 6: "batlles" for "battles"
Bonus 11: "was longer necessary" for "was no longer necessary"
Bonus 12: "Phaeton" for "Phaethon" (not an error per se, but the spelling "Phaethon" was used earlier in the question)

Round 7:
Bonus 3: "statue" for "statute"
Bonus 7: "wrote a wrote a" for "wrote a"
TU 12: "this deit" for "this deity"
TU 18: "include" for "which include" (I think the wording of that entire sentence is rather awkward)
Bonus 19: Some people in my room were confused that "helium" was the answer to the second part after having been mentioned in the first part.

Round 8:
Bonus 4: "HWR" for "HWE"
Bonus 6: "[or Sun Wukong;" for "[or Sun Wukong]"
Bonus 11: Also not an error, but there was some confusion over "Feynman diagrams" being an answer after "Feynman" being tossed up earlier
TU 17: "open with slow movements" for "open with slow introductions"

Round 9:
Bonus 1: "historicTampa" for "historic Tampa"

Round 10:
Bonus 1: "evinced" for "evidenced"
Bonus 6: "chromsomes" for "chromosomes"
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
t-bar
Tidus

Re: Errata

Post by t-bar »

I'll let Auroni address the things related to his questions, but as for the ones I wrote:
Dmitri Shostakovich wrote:Bonus 19: Some people in my room were confused that "helium" was the answer to the second part after having been mentioned in the first part.
Whoops--the first one should actually be "hydrogen." My bad.
Dmitri Shostakovich wrote:Bonus 11: Also not an error, but there was some confusion over "Feynman diagrams" being an answer after "Feynman" being tossed up earlier
Feynman was mentioned a total of five times in the set, though in different contexts and with different clues each time. I agree that it might be slightly suboptimal to have him in the answer line twice, but if it's going to happen, I'd rather have the second instance be a bonus than a tossup so that people have the opportunity to talk it over rather than potentially get screwed out of a good buzz due to confusion.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I think that the hemispatial neglect question claimed that people with it "omit" the numbers 7-12 from the clock face. I put my lecture slide from last semester on it here: http://i.imgur.com/qUMSIaw.png

I think that "compress into one side" might be a better description.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Actually that's not strictly correct; I've seen people just do 12 through 7 instead of compressing it (e.g. http://trialx.com/curebyte/2011/07/06/p ... mineglect/)
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I think the claim that David Foster Wallace is a "postmodern" author is on extremely shaky ground. I couldn't quite figure out if we were really expected to say "New Sincerity" or how to reconcile his inclusion in that bonus part with the previous text, which did more or less identify "postmodernism" as the desired answer. If you need a canonical name to throw out there, why not someone like John Barth, who is more or less uncontroversially included in the postmodernist canon?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Actually that's not strictly correct; I've seen people just do 12 through 7 instead of compressing it (e.g. http://trialx.com/curebyte/2011/07/06/p ... mineglect/)
My bad then!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Dmitri Shostakovich wrote:Round 5:
Bonus 5: A couple of people in my room were confused by the usage of "disciple" to refer to Luke, since he isn't considered one of the Twelve Disciples.
Well that's their problem for not knowing what a "disciple" is. This was completely fine.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.