A Friendly Message to Canada

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

A Friendly Message to Canada

Post by Cheynem »

Canada is a friendly land, full of great heroes like Mike Myers, Robin Sparkles, and Chris Benoit. It is good to see that more or less, pyramidal quizbowl is making headway there and that there is enthusiasm for it.

However, it seems like the majority of Canadian collegiate tournament announcement threads are very high on the enthusiasm to an almost excessive amount, like they are filled with back and forth in-jokes, banter, and statements that are hard to interpret as factual or not. As a moderator, this is not overly appealing, so i'm urging our friends north of the border to cool it a little, at least in the announcement threads. Use your Facebook pages or at least, the off topic sections, to engage in these odd back and forths--hopefully some of the FZ's and mod post edits have delivered this message across. The reason why we're doing this is not because we're mean but because they clutter up announcement threads which are meant to provide meaningful information about quizbowl tournaments and how to play them; certainly I don't wish to impugn anyone, as I've been guilty of mucking up such threads myself.

Thanks!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger