Female Player Winning Tournament Solo?

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Female Player Winning Tournament Solo?

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So on Saturday, Valencia's Cassandra Logan went undefeated (12-0) playing alone to win a small (18-team) CC tournament held in Ocala. Cassandra is in her third year with us, moving on to UCF in spring, and last spring she finished sixth as an individual in CCCT scoring as part of the champion Red Team. And to be fair, most of the teams she was playing comprised newbies, though in the finals she had to beat a State College of Florida team featuring Michael and Naimul, very good players with CCCT experience whom I figure to be the team to beat in spring.

So I write not to brag (though of course I'm proud of her) but to ask if anyone knows if this has happened before. Lord knows, at the CC level we've had plenty of solo males wreak havoc (Dallin Kelson, for instance, won the whole damn CCCT playing solo), but has a female player won a tournament solo against college (even community college!) competition?

As I've said over the years, female participation and success is still robust among CC teams, and not just in Florida.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup
Kimahri

Re: Female Player Winning Tournament Solo?

Post by Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup »

Hats off to Cassandra! The whole tournament we were keeping an eye on her stats, and we obviously knew she would be a tough match. In the end, she had a stellar performance in the finals with a lot of really great buzzes. She has always been great at cancelling my game, and in a round who's answer lines favored myself more than Naim, I came up a little short. Overall it was an exhilarating match!

Congrats to Cassandra for an awesome achievement and a great display of her prowess as an individual player!
Michael Moore Jr.
President/Captain, State College of Florida - Manatee
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

So far I haven't come across any solo female players winning any of the regional or national tournaments (although I haven't gotten to CC sectionals yet) -- that's an amazing accomplishment! I look forward to entering her stats into my "women's results" spreadsheets; this is exactly the kind of inspiring stuff that needs to be publicized more.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That should calm the millions AND MILLIONS of Valencia fans who were thinking it was time for a change at the 'ol quizbowl coach position.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Cheynem wrote:That should calm the millions AND MILLIONS of Valencia fans who were thinking it was time for a change at the 'ol quizbowl coach position.
Has the Florida media ever done a "local community college kicks ass at quizbowl" story? It would be worth it just for the sentences where the reporter describes Chris.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I believe the phrase is "electric personality," Bruce.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/200 ... ls-borglum (I take no responsibility for the typical newspaper hyperbole/misunderstanding of the game in that link, though I will admit to loving it).

In a bizarre twist, the woman who wrote that article for the Sentinel now writes copy for Valencia; I've sent her the stuff about Cassandra for in-house hyping.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

As epilogue, here's the in-house Valencia story for the college webpage on Cassandra, by Linda Beaty, the same person who wrote the article in the post above:
http://news.valenciacollege.edu/valenci ... ge+News%29

Also, not that this is the "women in quizbowl" discussion proper, but 22 of the 64 players at this tournament at Central Florida College (Ocala) were female, and my player Jen was the third overall scorer. I have binders full of women! Woot!

Edit: coordinating conjunction
Chris Borglum