UTC Quizbowl: transition in leadership

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

UTC Quizbowl: transition in leadership

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

I wanted to make the broader quizbowl community aware of changes within UTC Quizbowl. It is with mixed feeling that I am officially resigning as coach of the UTC program, effective July 31, 2014. Jacob Vannucci, who has served as Assistant Coach since early 2013, has graciously agreed to step in as interim coach, pending confirmation by the UTC student organization in the fall. I have humbly asked that they team invoke a bylaws provision that would allow them to name me Coach Emeritus (from the Latin e- (meaning you're out) and -meritus (meaning you deserved it.)

After the tournament Saturday, UTC alumni and supporters convened for the Third Council of Provino's and discussed the future of the program. We are assembling an advisory council to support Jacob and the team in their future endeavors. At this point it is hard to say how active UTC will be as a tournament host in the coming academic year, but there is a great deal of interest in maintaining the tradition of hosting tournaments. I will continue to be involved in a lesser capacity, to the best of my ability, if the team so desires.

Quite by coincidence, Saturday's Moon Pie/NAQT HS Mirror was the 100th academic tournament (including HS, college, and open) during my tenure as coach. (Records on trash tournaments are a little fuzzier, but we believe we hosted 62 trash events during that same period.) As I have grown older, I no longer have the stamina I had, and coupling that with an increasingly demanding career, it's been apparent for the past few years that it was time to hang it up. For all the players and other volunteers too numerous to mention, for those who have collaborated on or provided question sets, and for the literally hundreds of schools and teams that have shared some of their weekends with us, I am eternally grateful for some of the greatest experiences and friendships in my life. For my critics over the years, especially those who have offered constructive criticism, I respect and often agree with your opinions and acknowledge many flaws over the years, especially those involving time management, All I ask is that you respect the effort, and the genuine love for the game, that I have given to quizbowl in the Southeast over the years.

Here's hoping for a great new chapter in the history of UTC quizbowl.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)