FEUERBACH Mirror at South Carolina on October 4

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

FEUERBACH Mirror at South Carolina on October 4

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina is pleased to announce that it is hosting a mirror of the First Ennial Unprecedented Edited Regular Buzzer Competition Happenstance, FEUERBACH, on October 4 in Columbia. To register, please e-mail me, Eric Douglass, at [email protected]. This post will be updated in the coming weeks with information on rooms, times, etc.

This will be a regular-difficulty, packet submission academic tournament edited by Matt Weiner. If your team is all people in their first or second year of real quizbowl, you don't have to write. If you would like to write anyway and get a discount, contact Matt Weiner at [email protected] about the guidelines for that.

Base Fee: $100
Buzzer Discount: $10 for each system with 8 functioning buzzers
Staff Discount: $20 for each competent moderator
Distance Discount: $10 for each 200 miles
Discount for multiple teams: $10 per team
Discount for any team whose members has never played in anything other than NAQT, CBI, or Honda prior to Fall 2008: $30
Note that if the A team has members who have played prior to 2008 but the B team hasn’t, the B team still gets the discount. Also, people who did college tournaments while in high school (such as summer tournaments) are still eligible for the discount.

Packet schedule:

Packet submitted by September 13: $25 discount
Packet submitted by September 20: No discount or penalty
Packet submitted after September 20: $10 penalty per every day it's late
No packet submitted by September 27: Contact Matt Weiner at [email protected] for information on how you can still play.

Minimum fee per team: $60

The guidelines on who is supposed to write packets and what packets should look like are exactly the same as the ACF guidelines, which you can find below:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acf/acf.html

Send packets directly to Matt Weiner at [email protected]. Please do not send them to me.

Columbia is about 3 hours from Atlanta, 3.5 hours from Raleigh, and 1.5 hours from Charlotte. We look forward to seeing teams from the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, and beyond.

The following teams have signed up:

VCU (1 team, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
Clemson (1 team)
Wake Forest (1 team, 1 buzzer)
USC A
USC B
USC C

Registration will begin at 8:00 and we’ll begin 9:00. We will be playing in the Welsh Humanities Classroom Building at USC. You can see the Cocky mascot pointing to it on this map. Please note that the Welsh Humanities Office Building is right next to the classroom building, so make sure you go to the classroom building.

http://www.sc.edu/cgi-bin/uscmap/uscmap ... er&data=55

This building does not have parking immediately adjacent to it, but there is plenty of parking that is a short walk away. I would get mapquest directions to the following address: 1710 College Street. That will take you right across from Capstone House (which has no street address), which is a distinctive looking high rise dorm with a circular top. See http://www.sc.edu/uscmap/bldg/capstone.html for a picture of the dorm and http://www.sc.edu/cgi-bin/uscmap/uscmap ... er&data=39 for a map with Capstone highlighted. You can’t miss it. There are a few parking lots next to and across the street from Capstone, as well as plenty of meters on the street. Meters aren’t checked on Saturday.

Once you get a space and find yourself immediately in front of Capstone, walk west facing away from Capstone. You’ll pass the B.A. building (the one with flags) and the National Advocacy Center on the right, and Gambrell Hall and a cafe on the left. And you’ll be there. We will have people waiting in front of Capstone with signs to help direct anyone, but it should be easy to find.
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Re: FEUERBACH Mirror at South Carolina on October 4

Post by ClemsonQB »

We may be there with one team.
Last edited by ClemsonQB on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Hmm it's 4.5 hours to Tallahassee (no packet submission) or 2 hours to Columbia (packet required) on the same date. We'll see who on our team wants to write and get back to y'all with exactly how many teams we might send, but we're definitely interested.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

uga_chris wrote:Hmm it's 4.5 hours to Tallahassee (no packet submission) or 2 hours to Columbia (packet required) on the same date. We'll see who on our team wants to write and get back to y'all with exactly how many teams we might send, but we're definitely interested.
I hope no one is choosing between this tournament and EFT. EFT is a fantastic event. I don't know when Vanderbilt is hosting their EFT site, but even if they are also running on the 4th, you could send all your teams to South Carolina on that date and then all your teams to the Wake Forest EFT on the 11th.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5721
Unless the date has changed without being announced, Vandy's EFT mirror is scheduled for October 11.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

ClemsonQB wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5721
Unless the date has changed without being announced, Vandy's EFT mirror is scheduled for October 11.
Thanks.

So yeah: you can go to either Vanderbilt or Wake Forest the week after this tournament, in order to do both.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auron

I've updated the initial post with information on who's signed up/expressed interest. Also, we added discounts for multiple teams and new teams, which I forgot about initially. And I've added info on where and when we're meeting for the tournament. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have questions about our tournament or would like to register.
Eric D.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

ClemsonQB wrote:We may be there with one team.
Mark me down as expressed interest, I still haven't officially formed a team.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Also, are there any discounts for undermanned teams?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Sorry, but it looks like UGA won't be able to come; writing a HS tournament and ACF Fall packets occupied too much of our question-writing time. We'll definitely try to come to more tournaments if USC puts them on though.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Auron

Sorry to hear that, but yeah, we'll probably be hosting more tournaments in the future. I'll mark you guys off.
Eric D.
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

The latest I've heard is that Georgia Tech will be attending FSU's EFT mirror instead of this. Will it still occur with only 3 teams in attendance?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Auron

Ga Tech e-mailed me about a week ago saying they would bring at least one team. If they've changed their plans since then, it's news to me. Anyway, there's still 12 days til the tournament, so I'll wait until next week before deciding what to do with a limited field. We have enough people to field a few house teams if it comes to that.
Eric D.
Auron

So Georgia Tech has indeed pulled out of this tournament, leaving us with just 3 teams. Again, it's still, like, 11 days until the tournament, so hopefully we'll hear from some more teams in the next week or so.
Eric D.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

South Carolina house team a possibility if needed to make the schedule work?
Matt Weiner
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:South Carolina house team a possibility if needed to make the schedule work?
Yes, SC has enough people for 1-3 house teams.
Eric D.
Auron

With a week to go, I'd like to update where we are for this tournament. We have VCU, Clemson, and Wake coming, and USC will have three house teams. One of the house teams will include Jacob from Wake. Barring teams signing up this week, this will probably be the field. Of course, if any teams or individuals are interested in playing, or if anyone from our current field has any questions, please contact me at [email protected] .
Eric D.
Auron

Congratulations to the academic team at Clemson University, who defeated Virginia Commonwealth in two finals matches to win the FEUERBACH Mirror at the University of South Carolina. Clemson also took home the undergraduate championship and the Division II championship. Evan Adams led the tournament in scoring, followed by Nick from Clemson and Robert from USC. George Stevens of Clemson won the neg prize, Lou Holtz's magnum opus A Teen's Gameplan for Life.

The tournament ended up being a triple round robin as Wake Forest had to bow out this morning due to unavoidable circumstances. As TD, it was a pleasure to read for a small but highly competitive field in which exciting, close matches were the order of the day. Thanks to Matt Weiner for editing the questions and staffing the tournament, as well as to Hudson Harper of the USC team for reading. I hope everyone enjoyed their experience at Carolina; we'll surely host more college tournaments in the near future. Stats will be posted tomorrow.
Eric D.
Auron

Stats have been posted here:

http://results.scobo.net/USCarolina
Eric D.