2019 Terrapin Mirror at WUSTL (4/20/2019)

Old college threads.
hannah.manoj
Kimahri

2019 Terrapin Mirror at WUSTL (4/20/2019)

Post by hannah.manoj »

Hello! The Washington University Quiz Bowl team is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of Terrapin on April 20, 2019. I, Hannah Manoj, will be Tournament Director.

To register for the tournament, please e-mail me directly at [email protected] as well as at [email protected] with the following information:
-the name of the school
-how many teams you will be bringing
-how many buzzer sets you will be bringing
-how many players (and their names) you will be bringing
-how many staff members (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing
-a phone number I can reach you at
The field will be capped at twelve (12) teams until we know how many staffers we will have for the tournament.

Question Set:
As dictated by the global announcement, this tournament is designated as medium-difficulty, meaning that the intended difficulty level is below that of ACF Regionals, similar to 2017 EFT. It is intended to be accessible for the vast majority of teams, while still allowing highly experienced teams to play and enjoy the tournament. If desired, there is more information about Terrapin that can be found in the global announcement.

Fees:
The registration fees for the tournament are as follows:
+$120 for the base fee per team
-$15 for each moderator provided by a school
-$10 for each scorekeeper provided by a school
*all moderators and scorekeepers MUST bring a laptop, since both the score-keeping system and question packets will be online
-$5 for each functioning buzzer set provided by a school
-$10 for every two hundred (200) miles one way that a team travels
*the minimum fee for a school is $50 for each team

All checks should be made out to “Washington University Quiz Bowl”. Although we prefer payment through check, cash will also be accepted.

Location and Schedule:
The tournament will be held in Eads Hall (Building 31). Because of construction occurring at the school, we recommend that you park in the parking lot next to Simon Hall (Building 110) and the Danforth University Center (Building 27). A map of the campus can be found here.
Registration will begin at 8:15 AM CDT in TBD. The first round will start at 9:00 AM. We'll have an opening meeting around 8:45 AM. Please contact me by phone if you will be late. I will send out a tournament information email with my phone number before the tournament. We will end the tournament around 6:00 PM, depending on how many rounds we play (depending on how many teams sign up). We expect to guarantee all teams at least ~10 rounds.

Eligibility:
As dictated by the global announcement, all players who are eligible to play under ACF rules can play collegiate mirrors of Terrapin. High schoolers are NOT eligible to play in collegiate mirrors of Terrapin, but will be eligible to play in designated high school mirrors. All physical mirrors, whether collegiate or high school, are to be closed mirrors WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
Students who are dual-enrolled are eligible to play in both collegiate and high school mirrors for their respective institutions.

If there are any additional questions or concerns about the tournament, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]! We look forward to hosting this tournament and we hope to see you there!
Last edited by hannah.manoj on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannah Manoj
WUSTL '21 (Treasurer, 2019-present)
hannah.manoj
Kimahri

Re: 2019 Terrapin Mirror at WUSTL (4/20/2019)

Post by hannah.manoj »

Field (CLOSED):

WUSTL: [2 teams, 3 buzzer sets, many staffers]
Mizzou: [2 teams, 1 buzzer set, 0 staffers]
Truman State: [1 team, 1 buzzer set, 0 staffers]
Oklahoma [1 team, 1 buzzer set, 0 staffers]
UChicago: [2 teams, 0 buzzer sets, 0 staffers]
Missouri S&T: [1 team, 0 buzzer sets, 1 staffer]
SEMO: [1 team, 1 buzzer set, 0 staffers]
Hannah Manoj
hannah.manoj
Kimahri

Re: 2019 Terrapin Mirror at WUSTL (4/20/2019)

Post by hannah.manoj »

Thanks to all of the teams who came out to play! After nine rounds, Chicago A was declared the winner of the tournament. There were additional matches for second place: Oklahoma won against Mizzou to play in the finals against Chicago B, with Chicago B emerging victorious. Full stats can be found here!
Hannah Manoj