Words and Objects Online Mirror

Old college threads.
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Words and Objects Online Mirror

Post by rahulkeyal »

I will later use this post to coordinate the final logistics for the event, but for now, I've created a poll to decide on the best time to run this. If you are interested in playing this event, please indicate ALL times that work for you with this Google form. If no times work, indicate as such on the form and I'll see if it's necessary to reschedule to a different weekend.

EDIT: Unless people object, I play to run this event with teams of two.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Re: Words and Objects Online Mirror

Post by rahulkeyal »

It looks like 9 PM EST on Sunday, July 29th works best for people. I'll post a full announcement for the event tonight.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Re: Words and Objects Online (7/29)

Post by rahulkeyal »

I will be running an online (Discord) mirror of Words and Objects on July 29th, beginning at 9 PM EST. Information regarding the event can be found here. The event will be run in doubles, and the team formation spreadsheet can be found here. Writing your team members' names down constitutes as a registration. I've set a tentative cap of 6 teams, since that works well for the number of packets we have, however depending on interest / # of staffers, that number may increase.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Re: Words and Objects Online (7/29)

Post by rahulkeyal »

A reminder that this is happening this upcoming weekend at 9 PM EST, so free agents should organize themselves into teams if they wish to play. It'd be great if a couple kind folks would be willing to offer a few hours of their time to moderate - I'll give $15 to the first two volunteers. To sign up, just put your name and email down under the Staffers section of the registration spreadsheet.

EDIT: Thanks to Eric Chen and Itamar Naveh-Benjamin for offering to help out!
Last edited by rahulkeyal on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Are there any plans to expand the team size? It looks like there are 4 teams of people on the waitlist right now.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Mike Bentley wrote:Are there any plans to expand the team size? It looks like there are 4 teams of people on the waitlist right now.
This is a very good idea. I've just added a column for teams to add an optional third teammate. I also expanded the field to accomodate 8 teams.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Given the number of free agents, I've added a spot for teams to add a fourth member. The field will remain at its current cap of 8 teams. I'm going to close the field tonight at 12 PM EST, so if you're a free agent, make sure to communicate with registered teams to figure something out by then! After, I'll send out a logistics email with payment info.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

A reminder that this is happening in half an hour! Please be in the Discord server (PM if you need a link) on time so we can finish at a reasonable hour.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Congrats to "Kant's Ancient Humbugs" for defeating "Terrapin XXXTentacion" in the finals, 135-120 (on a TB tossup, no less!) It was extremely exciting seeing all the great buzzes today, and I hope players had as much fun playing as I did writing/reading. Thanks to Itamar, James, Eric, and (on quite short notice) Aseem for volunteering their time - the event wouldn't have been possible without you. Stats should be up s̶o̶o̶n now!
Last edited by rahulkeyal on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks for writing and hosting this. Is there a private discussion forum for the set?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

No, there isn't. Would forum moderators be able to make one?
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Mike Bentley wrote:Is there a private discussion forum for the set?
This has been done! Once logged in, go to User Control Panel -> Usergroups and select "2018 Words and Objects discussion" to request access.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF