Guerilla History Event (late August)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

Select all nights on which you would be interested in participating in this event

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 am

August 13
6%
August 14
8%
August 15
11%
August 20
11%
August 21
14%
August 22
17%
August 27
11%
August 28
11%
August 29
11%

Total votes : 36

Guerilla History Event (late August)

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:50 am

Inspired by Ophir's Imaginary Landscape and moderately dismayed by the relative lack of history tournaments recently, I propose to host a Guerilla History Event sometime in August. I've attached a poll to get peoples' date preferences. This tournament will be run on Discord, presumably after I become more comfortable with the use of that particular app.

Indicate your interest in participating on this spreadsheet by putting down your name and whether you'll be submitting or not.

There will be no fees for this event. However, if you do not submit a packet of at least ten questions, a donation of $10 is suggested. All such donations should be made via PayPal to historature@gmail.com or sent to my venmo account (@walston) with a donation with the note "Guerilla History," which will then be transferred to the PayPal account via my bank account. These donations will all go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma society - I'm just attempting to centralize them so I can keep track of things / perhaps give people a friendly nudge or two :smile:

Submitted packets should contain questions of a high difficulty level, but should include at least a few answers that would be appropriate at ACF Regionals or easier tournaments. Use your discretion with the selection of your most challenging answers and don't swing to extremes, e.g. six line cookie cutter tossups on the Whiskey Rebellion or fifteen-line tossups on a lesser-known Duke of Courland. Please do not power mark or otherwise alter your submissions. Submissions of ten or more questions should at minimum contain the following, in order to ensure a good mix:

1 Ancient History (any before 500 AD)
2 US History
1 Other Anglophone History (Britain/British Empire, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, etc.)
2 World History, each on different parts of the world (East Asia, South/Southeast Asia, Middle East/Central Asia, Africa, Americas not covered above)
1 Continental European History (any post 500 AD history not covered above)
1 Archaeology, Historiography, or other questions pertaining to the "study of history"
2 Whatever You Want

It is strongly suggested that you vary the areas of history covered in your submissions, e.g. social, political, military, economic/business, etc.

As a note - this tournament will be 100% guerilla, with nobody editing anything. As such, please endeavor to show up and read your own packet, or at least ask somebody else to if you are unavailable! And be prepared for repeats because they definitely will happen.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16
"...should be treated as the non-stakeholding troll he is" -Matt Weiner
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Re: Guerilla History Event (late August)

Postby ObsidianFoot » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I will tentatively express interest, as I, too, am dismayed at the relative lack of history tournaments these days. My actual participation in this, however, is dependent on time. Will, do you have some idea of when you would start this and how long it would run?

Also, are you planning for singles or doubles? CO guerrilla history has been doubles in the past, but what about this?
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Re: Guerilla History Event (late August)

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:27 pm

ObsidianFoot wrote:I will tentatively express interest, as I, too, am dismayed at the relative lack of history tournaments these days. My actual participation in this, however, is dependent on time. Will, do you have some idea of when you would start this and how long it would run?

Also, are you planning for singles or doubles? CO guerrilla history has been doubles in the past, but what about this?

This is going to be a shootout on a Discord server, with everyone's individual scores being tracked. It will probably run for about three to four hours in the evening on a weeknight.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16
"...should be treated as the non-stakeholding troll he is" -Matt Weiner
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Return to Collegiate Announcements & Results