East TN End-Of-Summer Academic Party at Tusculum, 08-04-2018

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

East TN End-Of-Summer Academic Party at Tusculum, 08-04-2018

Postby ShorterPearson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:55 pm

This is your formal announcement of the East Tennessee End-Of-Summer Academic Party, to be held the morning and early afternoon of Saturday, August 4, 2018 at the still-with-that-new-building-smell Meen Center on the campus of the newly-christened Tusculum University in Greeneville, Tennessee.

Let me see if I can remember how to do this properly...

ETEOSAP will be a SHORT academic tournament using the PACE NSC-like Great Lakes Regional Academic Championship (GLRAC) set. It's NOT a full Saturday; we'll promise every team that wants them five games, and we'll try to get you all seven that are in the set. This field will be open; all comers are welcome, whether a high school or college team working up for the new season or a team of old farts like me. If there's more than a little bit of interest, we'll try to do some power-matching with the schedule so that you're playing games with teams on the same level as soon in the tournament as possible.

Fair warning: GLRAC played VERY difficult for a high school set; the results from the Case-Western implementation of it are here, and the top bonus-conversion rate of 13 PPB in a tournament that featured Detroit Central Catholic should tell you what you need to know.

(The above colored out because the TD is a dope and can't correctly interpret a SQBS report including bouncebacks, leading me to believe that a field including DCC A maxed out at 13 points per bonus while they were maxing at 13 points per BOUNCEBACK. 22 PPB is FAR healthier. Still will be a taxing set, though.)

(Also note: we're not playing bouncebacks, I'm not going to risk readers messing bouncebacks up.)

And because a brutal academic morning requires proper detox, we're pairing this Academic Party with a Trash Free-For-All, a singles shootout scheduled for that afternoon.

Your base fee is $15 a head. A full team of four players can play for $50; smaller teams play for the per-head price. We'll assign a maximum of two discounts per team, or one per individual, for buzzers (-$5) or staffers (-$5). We'll also let you have a break on fees for the trash if you play both.

Your tournament director is general-purpose East Tennessee quizbowl flunky Chuck Pearson, who has done this before but still isn't very good at it.

Hit up the registration form to get yourself or your team in the field.

More news forthcoming.

pearson
Last edited by ShorterPearson on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky and holy crap I'm a PACE member too
also still advising a certain interest group at Tusculum University that may compete in a tournament one day
cpearson@tusculum.edu
ShorterPearson
Lulu

Re: East TN End-Of-Summer Academic Party at Tusculum, 08-04-

Postby ShorterPearson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I will stall on a full field report until I have more in the registration, but I can confirm that there are two official registrants and significant additional interest, which isn't bad for this announcement not even having been up for 48 hours.
chuck pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky and holy crap I'm a PACE member too
also still advising a certain interest group at Tusculum University that may compete in a tournament one day
cpearson@tusculum.edu
ShorterPearson
Lulu

Postby Scipio » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Having just been given permission to do this: I would like to arrange Historature, imaginary landscape, or both during this weekend.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Scipio
Wakka

Postby connor.mayers » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Just a note about the set: I don’t think it’s quite as hard as you are making it out to be. DCC got 13 points per bounceback, while putting up a quite good 22 PPB
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20
connor.mayers
Lulu

Postby ShorterPearson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 pm

oh hai

it me, @ShorterPearson

I can’t read SQBS reports with bouncebacks

will edit appropriately

pearson [see, I do not claim to be good at this]
chuck pearson
cpearson@tusculum.edu
ShorterPearson
Lulu

Postby ShorterPearson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:05 pm

We do have a field, for the record!

Registered teams committed:
Kendall et al. (Seth Kendall, see)
Fulghum et al. (Knoxville-area-ish?)
Blankenship et al. (Four Folks From Kentucky)

Registered free agents commtted:
Mark Morris
Dargan Ware

Interested:
Individuals along the general ETSU/Gate City/UVa-Wise axis

More news as events warrant.
chuck pearson
cpearson@tusculum.edu
ShorterPearson
Lulu

Postby Scipio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 pm

So, at the risk of being an irritant:

I have been endeavoring to set up some additional events for this weekend (although not to run them myself, as I want to play in them); Pearson has basically countenanced this, so I'm not usurping. My thought was for Historature and/or Imaginary Landscapes. However, it occurs to me that I don't know if any other attendees would want to play these. If any of the same are reading: would you?
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Scipio
Wakka

Return to Collegiate Announcements & Results