Chicago Open 2019 - Weekend of August 3rd

Old college threads.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

As a reminder, Chicago Open Trash will return on the Sunday following this tournament. We will likely be offering a similar system of slightly-tiered registration to incentivize trash participants to play or staff in the main event, and correspondingly will be eternally grateful to anyone willing to staff our event.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Auroni wrote: 2/2 Other Academic (any academic discipline not represented by the above, pop culture viewed through an academic lens, "highbrow" pop culture, up to 1/1 more of any component of this distribution)
Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?
In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I'm concerned that the history distribution doesn't have any split between time periods. Will the editors take this into account when combining submissions? In the past at submission I've noticed some packets will only have questions on more recent topics.

Also, I'm guessing for European, Canadian, and Australian the editors do no want 3 Canadians history tossups and 3 Austrian history bonuses.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?
In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.
Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

EDIT: I'm inclined to trust this editing team to deliver a good mix of history topics, but I do share some of Isaac's concern about the recency bias of history questions in submission tournaments based on my past experience. I required some non-20th century history submissions for WAO because of this phenomenon, and even then I thought the older history submissions were disproportionately poorly and hastily executed. That said, I'm willing to believe that this is, to an extent, related to documentaries, historiography, etc overwhelmingly focusing on the 20th century and some limitations on primary source material, or people thinking that it's all boring, or whatever.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.
I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.
I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".
Ah, my mistake. Based on personal experience, I was under the impression that food, musicals, and genre lit were things that people of many ethnic/racial backgrounds and genders were interested in. I was unaware that they were mainly the interests of white men. Thanks for enlightening me!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

"Highbrow" is an inexact term for the tenor of question we are looking for, so I've removed it from the post. We will give submission on "trash" topics if they make enough of a case as to their self-evident cultural influence or importance. Feel free to contact any editor if you have any questions.
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament
Yes.

We don't want to commit to an overly-precise difficulty benchmark before actually seeing where the experience of writing and editing questions takes us, but please be assured that we value the playing experience of the entire audience, and will think of it at every turn during the set production process. To reiterate my announcement, the goal is to make the set feel challenging, but not demoralizing.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is there room for whimsy?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

When isn't there room for whimsy?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am looking for a team. I was pretty bad at the last CO.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Benji Nguyen and I are seeking two rabblerousers to be our teammates. Contact either of us if you're interested, especially if you know science.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Jonathan Magin and I have formed a team and are looking for two more players to join us. A science player would be greatly appreciated!
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I am announcing a field cap of 18 teams for this tournament. As a reminder, please email me to actually register.
Last edited by Auroni on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Hey, as people are putting their packets together, I'd like to request that everyone include 1 or 2 non-western arts questions per packet (not in the same subdistro). This isn't a request for reckless canon expansion ("time to whip out this TU on the 10th most famous Burundian sculptor"), but it's also an attempt to nudge people out of established ruts. I'm not trying to get 20 tossups on Hiroshige.

That said, if you have ideas for a bunch of other questions on other underrepresented topics (women artists, ancient and medieval art, other neglected art forms) instead, message me and I'll probably OK it—definitely not trying to impose too much of a burden on teams.

EDIT: To clarify, this is 1 or 2 questions out of the entire 3/3 arts—again, nothing too onerous.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

wcheng wrote:Jonathan Magin and I have formed a team and are looking for two more players to join us. A science player would be greatly appreciated!
sup
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Since this tournament will almost certainly be both bracketed and packet submission, I'm tightening up the field cap to 18 teams, with possibility for later expansion based on interest, staff availability, and my ability to come up with a good schedule for larger field sizes.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Is the slate of side events confirmed yet?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:Is the slate of side events confirmed yet?
Yes, it's Chicago Open Trash 2018 and Imaginary Landscape No. 4.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

dang it someone play this tournament with me

grapesmoker at gmail dot com
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

If any teams out there still need teammates, feel free to hit me up.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Opening post updated with full writing and editing team.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Reminder that the first packet deadline is coming up this Sunday, May 13th. Additionally, I'm awarding one-week extension upon request to packet writers who are significantly involved in producing this year's high school national sets; if this applies to you, contact me with the deadline you're aiming to meet and the date you expect to hand me your questions by.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

I emailed you a while back to register my team (Tamara Vardomskaya, Mike Cheyne, Sam Bailey, and me) for the tournament. Did you get the registration? It appears that we are not included in the field in the first post.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Fucitol wrote:I emailed you a while back to register my team (Tamara Vardomskaya, Mike Cheyne, Sam Bailey, and me) for the tournament. Did you get the registration? It appears that we are not included in the field in the first post.
We're in the same situation.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

A slight clarification and revision of the distribution as originally posted. The 3/3 arts will be subdistributed as follows:
  • 1/1 Auditory. This includes jazz and "world music," but not opera or ballet, which will count as "audiovisual" below.
  • 1/1 Visual. This includes painting, sculpture, and anything else that you interact with (almost) exclusively by looking at.
  • 1/1 Other. This includes audiovisual media like film and musical theater; it also includes performances and art that you're more likely to touch, hold, live in, or otherwise interact with. Please vary your questions as much as possible by type of art; do not submit two "audiovisual" questions or two "useful arts" questions.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've updated the opening post with the packets we've received for the earliest deadline. Some of you have emailed me about reasonable extensions; your packets will be added once I actually receive them. Several more of you have messaged or asked me in person about extensions which will remain hypothetical until you actually email me about them.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Our field is now full, but I have begun soliciting/keeping track of staffers and there may be the possibility of expansion once I've got enough.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Side note: potential staffers, please send me an email so I can easily keep track of who'll be around. Thanks!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Auks Ran Ova, in the trash thread, wrote:We have increased the fee by $5 a player in order to pay staffers
It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season? Or if not this year, for future COs?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:
Auks Ran Ova, in the trash thread, wrote:We have increased the fee by $5 a player in order to pay staffers
It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season? Or if not this year, for future COs?
Seconding this
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Cheynem wrote:As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?
Did you one better and pushed it back to the end of the month.
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season?
To match the incentive structure for CO Trash, I have now have edited the announcement to explicitly mention our $20 stipend (and customary free lunch) for staffers.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Auroni wrote:
Cheynem wrote:As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?
Did you one better and pushed it back to the end of the month.
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season?
To match the incentive structure for CO Trash, I have now have edited the announcement to explicitly mention our $20 stipend (and customary free lunch) for staffers.
Awesome. Thanks.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've expanded the field to 22 teams after assessing the staff situation, letting Mike Etzkorn's team in.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Since the field's expanded, I'll tentatively express interest. My case schedule keeps getting moved around but theoretically I am free for CO weekend.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Inspired by a suggestion from Alex Damisch, I shall have a packet with the theme of "annoying / mean / horrible things to make people say" - not in the sense of the answers being offensive words, but in the sense of the answer being hard to give, or pertaining to making someone say something that's annoying / hard to have to say. I'd like to read to folks at some point over CO weekend - perhaps on Friday evening. The questions may feature some amount of extreme vanity.

People are more than welcome to suggest drinking game rules to accompany this.

EDIT: Vanity warning.

EDIT 2: Further clarification
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Reminder that tonight is the deadline for -$25 packets (unless you've emailed me asking for an exception).
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can you update the packet list (to make sure you got our packet, among others)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Is there a sign-up for Imaginary Landscape 4? Has a format been confirmed?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:Is there a sign-up for Imaginary Landscape 4? Has a format been confirmed?
I've had a format in mind for a while now. I'm still waiting for confirmation from the university as to which building(s) they're giving us this year. (Whether it will be Cobb again is up in the air.) This could affect how many rooms have A/V capability, and during what times we'll have those rooms. I didn't want to announce the format, have people sign up, only then for me to need to change it. But if people would prefer that I get the ball rolling with the tentative format, I can do so.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Will the tournament be renamed to reflect its new location?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

No.
Last edited by Auroni on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I for one welcome more tournaments moving closer to my home
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Guile Island wrote:
Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.
There's only one option
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Guile Island wrote:

In concordance with the :party: emoji and the new, suburban location, I intend to host festivities at my parents' north shore home on Saturday night, following whatever hellish hour EO concludes. All quizbowlers who are over 18 and have graduated high school are welcome. It is not accessible by transit, so while I won't organize it myself, DDing/splitting rideshares is strongly encouraged. If you want more details (such as an exact location, especially if this may influence your hotel-booking purposes) hit me up over a medium of your convenience: text/Facebook/email/Discord DM/forums DM/skywriting over Lake Michigan.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto