Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 am

I'm delighted to announce this year's edition of Chicago Open will take place on Saturday, July 21st, 2018, and will kick off a weekend of quizbowl tournaments at Northwestern University. The main event will be edited by Jordan Brownstein, Jacob Reed, Joey Goldman, Seth Teitler, and myself as the head editor. Will Holub-Moorman, Ewan MacAulay, and Stephen Eltinge will also be contributing questions. In keeping with the spirit of past Chicago Opens, we aim to produce a set that will challenge any player in attendance, regardless of skill level, but that is consistently fun and unoppressive to play through.

As always, Chicago Open is a packet-submission tournament; if you want to play, you must be part of a packet-submitting team. The unique nature of this tournament should give you wide latitude to explore subjects and connections between topics in your submissions, but please don't churn out a bunch of boring stupid-hard tossups that 0 to 1 people in the field will have a shot at even answering -- those won't be used. Most tossups in the final version of the set will be no longer than 9 lines, but you can submit tossups that are longer than that. The questions will be power-marked.

The distribution for submitted packets will be mostly similar to last year's, with a few modifications:

5/5 Literature

1/1 Long Fiction (novels of any stripe)
1/1 Poetry (lyric and dramatic poetry, and the poetic (non-narrative) aspects of epic poetry)
1/0 or 0/1 Short Fiction (short stories and novellas)
1/0 or 0/1 Drama
1/1 Miscellaneous Literature (literary biography, criticism, culture, or anything that falls through the cracks of the previous categories)
1/1 More of the above

5/5 History

1/1 American History
1/1 World History
3/3 European, Canadian, and Australian history. Write no more than one Canadian or Australian history question, please. Feel free to replace one of the six questions with historiography, the academic study of history, etc.

5/5 Science

1/1 Biology
1/1 Chemistry
1/1 Physics
1/1 Other science - Computer Science, Math, Astronomy, Earth Science - do not write on the same two categories for this.
1/1 Any Science - can be more of the Big 3, or one of the Other Science categories you did not write on, or other science questions that don't neatly fit into the distribution (say engineering!)

3/2 or 2/3 RMP

1/0 or 0/1 Mythology
1/1 Religion
1/1 Philosophy

3/3 Arts

1/1 Auditory. This includes jazz and "world music," but not opera or ballet, which will count as "audiovisual" below.
1/1 Visual. This includes painting, sculpture, and anything else that you interact with (almost) exclusively by looking at.
1/1 Other. This includes audiovisual media like film and musical theater; it also includes performances and art that you're more likely to touch, hold, live in, or otherwise interact with. Please vary your questions as much as possible by type of art; do not submit two "audiovisual" questions or two "useful arts" questions.

1/1 Social Science - psychology, law, sociology, anthropology, linguistics, etc. One question at most can focus on "great theorists." Try to write applied questions in these topics.

1/0 or 0/1 Geography or Current Events

2/2 Other Academic (any academic discipline not represented by the above, pop culture viewed through an academic lens, questions on pop culture topics from which it is self-evident why the topic is culturally influential or important, or just 1/1 more of any component of this whole distribution)

The fee structure for the tournament will be as follows:

Base fee: $250

May 13th: -$50
May 31st: -$25
June 10th: -$0
June 24th: +$25
July 8th: +$50
Every day thereafter until July 15: +$10
July 15th: dropped from the tournament except for significant extenuating circumstances that have been cleared with the editing team.

We will also bring back a form of last year's incentive structure for quality packets, which are always a delight to receive and read, in the form of discounts awarded at the discretion of the editing team:

Great Submission: -$100 (a significant number of questions can be used with virtually no editing)
Good Submission: -$50 (every question is structurally solid, with a few inspired ideas here or there)

Other discounts include the following:

Buzzer discount: -$5 per working set provided
Staff discount: -$20 per competent moderator or scorekeeper transported and lodged

A one-week extension may be available upon request to packet writers who are significantly involved in producing this year's high school national sets; if this applies to you, contact me with the deadline you're aiming to meet and the date you expect to hand me your questions by.

Email me (auronigupta@gmail.com) to register for the tournament.

Staffers will receive a $20 stipend as well as free lunch.

Field:

Rob Carson, Billy Busse, Andrew Hart, Tejas Raje (-$0)
Alex Shaw, Jonathen Settle, Tracy Mirkin, Taylor Harvey (-$50)
Jonathan Magin, Chris Borglum, Billy Beyer, Weijia Cheng (-$50)
Chris Ray, Alston Boyd, Aseem Keyal, Kai Smith (-$0)
Will Nediger, Kurtis Droge, Rafael Krichevsky, Will Alston (-$50)
Caleb Kendrick, Jaimie Carlson, Jerry Vinokurov, Nick Collins (-$0)
Matt Weiner, Matt Bollinger, Adam Silverman, Shan Kothari (-$25)
Dylan Minarik, Benji Nguyen, Aidan Mehigan, Sam Rombro
James Lasker, Tamara Vardomskaya, Mike Cheyne, Sam Bailey (-$25)
Mike Bentley, Ryan Westbrook, Matt Lafer, Foster Hughes
Cooper Albertson-Webb, Erik Christensen, Paul Kasiński, Zhenglin Liu (-$0)
Joe Su, Derek So, Jay Misuk, Rein Otsason
Rahul Keyal, Kenji Shimizu, Michael Coates, Ben Zhang
Charles Hang, Will Mason, Cyrus Zhou
Lauren Onel, Graham Reid, Alex Fregeau, Halle Friedman (+$25)
Jakob Myers, Ike Jose, Andrew Wang, John Lawrence (+$25, capped at a 3-8 prelim record for using "EO" in the subject line)
Jason Asher, Brian Kalathiveetil, John Waldron, Matthew Lehmann (-$0, +$10000 for submitting an "Evanston Open" packet)
Ryan Rosenberg, Marianna Zhang, Clark Smith, Ophir Lif
Mike Etzkorn, Mike Sorice, Adam Fine, Stephen Liu
Jack Mehr, Ryan Humphrey, Lawrence Simon
Olivia Lamberti, Ethan Strombeck, William Golden, Akshay Govindan
Total: 21/22
Last edited by Auroni on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am, edited 42 times in total.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
"I love Milf Money" - Will Nediger
Auroni
Auron

Re: Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Auks Ran Ova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 am

As a reminder, Chicago Open Trash will return on the Sunday following this tournament. We will likely be offering a similar system of slightly-tiered registration to incentivize trash participants to play or staff in the main event, and correspondingly will be eternally grateful to anyone willing to staff our event.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Postby 1.82 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 am

Auroni wrote:2/2 Other Academic (any academic discipline not represented by the above, pop culture viewed through an academic lens, "highbrow" pop culture, up to 1/1 more of any component of this distribution)

Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 pm

A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16
"...should be treated as the non-stakeholding troll he is" -Matt Weiner
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Postby Taper or die. Can you do any less? » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?

In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.
Aayush Rajasekaran
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
University of Toronto, 201y

"one of the people who make Canada tolerable"
Taper or die. Can you do any less?
Wakka

Postby ErikC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm concerned that the history distribution doesn't have any split between time periods. Will the editors take this into account when combining submissions? In the past at submission I've noticed some packets will only have questions on more recent topics.

Also, I'm guessing for European, Canadian, and Australian the editors do no want 3 Canadians history tossups and 3 Austrian history bonuses.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
I write trash
Defending VETO top scorer
ErikC
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:30 pm

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?

In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.

Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

EDIT: I'm inclined to trust this editing team to deliver a good mix of history topics, but I do share some of Isaac's concern about the recency bias of history questions in submission tournaments based on my past experience. I required some non-20th century history submissions for WAO because of this phenomenon, and even then I thought the older history submissions were disproportionately poorly and hastily executed. That said, I'm willing to believe that this is, to an extent, related to documentaries, historiography, etc overwhelmingly focusing on the 20th century and some limitations on primary source material, or people thinking that it's all boring, or whatever.
Will Alston
Auron

Postby Taper or die. Can you do any less? » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".
Aayush Rajasekaran
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
University of Toronto, 201y

"one of the people who make Canada tolerable"
Taper or die. Can you do any less?
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 pm

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".

Ah, my mistake. Based on personal experience, I was under the impression that food, musicals, and genre lit were things that people of many ethnic/racial backgrounds and genders were interested in. I was unaware that they were mainly the interests of white men. Thanks for enlightening me!
Will Alston
Auron

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 pm

"Highbrow" is an inexact term for the tenor of question we are looking for, so I've removed it from the post. We will give submission on "trash" topics if they make enough of a case as to their self-evident cultural influence or importance. Feel free to contact any editor if you have any questions.

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament

Yes.

We don't want to commit to an overly-precise difficulty benchmark before actually seeing where the experience of writing and editing questions takes us, but please be assured that we value the playing experience of the entire audience, and will think of it at every turn during the set production process. To reiterate my announcement, the goal is to make the set feel challenging, but not demoralizing.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Is there room for whimsy?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:13 pm

When isn't there room for whimsy?
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Will Alston
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I am looking for a team. I was pretty bad at the last CO.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby Guile Island » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Benji Nguyen and I are seeking two rabblerousers to be our teammates. Contact either of us if you're interested, especially if you know science.
Dylan Minarik
Retired Quizbowl Gadfly
Member, PACE

Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Guile Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Postby wcheng » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Jonathan Magin and I have formed a team and are looking for two more players to join us. A science player would be greatly appreciated!
Weijia Cheng
Centennial '15
Maryland '18 (Fall)
wcheng
Wakka

Postby Auroni » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 pm

I am announcing a field cap of 18 teams for this tournament. As a reminder, please email me to actually register.
Last edited by Auroni on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby vinteuil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey, as people are putting their packets together, I'd like to request that everyone include 1 or 2 non-western arts questions per packet (not in the same subdistro). This isn't a request for reckless canon expansion ("time to whip out this TU on the 10th most famous Burundian sculptor"), but it's also an attempt to nudge people out of established ruts. I'm not trying to get 20 tossups on Hiroshige.

That said, if you have ideas for a bunch of other questions on other underrepresented topics (women artists, ancient and medieval art, other neglected art forms) instead, message me and I'll probably OK it—definitely not trying to impose too much of a burden on teams.

EDIT: To clarify, this is 1 or 2 questions out of the entire 3/3 arts—again, nothing too onerous.
Jacob Reed
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Auron

Postby grapesmoker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:02 am

wcheng wrote:Jonathan Magin and I have formed a team and are looking for two more players to join us. A science player would be greatly appreciated!

sup
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Postby Auroni » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Since this tournament will almost certainly be both bracketed and packet submission, I'm tightening up the field cap to 18 teams, with possibility for later expansion based on interest, staff availability, and my ability to come up with a good schedule for larger field sizes.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Benin Rebirth Party » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Is the slate of side events confirmed yet?
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

FINALIST -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR
Benin Rebirth Party
Tidus

Postby ThisIsMyUsername » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:Is the slate of side events confirmed yet?

Yes, it's Chicago Open Trash 2018 and Imaginary Landscape No. 4.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '19

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Tidus

Postby grapesmoker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 pm

dang it someone play this tournament with me

grapesmoker at gmail dot com
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Postby No Rules Westbrook » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am

If any teams out there still need teammates, feel free to hit me up.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Postby Auroni » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:25 am

Opening post updated with full writing and editing team.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Auroni » Mon May 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Reminder that the first packet deadline is coming up this Sunday, May 13th. Additionally, I'm awarding one-week extension upon request to packet writers who are significantly involved in producing this year's high school national sets; if this applies to you, contact me with the deadline you're aiming to meet and the date you expect to hand me your questions by.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Fucitol » Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I emailed you a while back to register my team (Tamara Vardomskaya, Mike Cheyne, Sam Bailey, and me) for the tournament. Did you get the registration? It appears that we are not included in the field in the first post.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20(?)
Fucitol
Rikku

Postby Mike Bentley » Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Fucitol wrote:I emailed you a while back to register my team (Tamara Vardomskaya, Mike Cheyne, Sam Bailey, and me) for the tournament. Did you get the registration? It appears that we are not included in the field in the first post.

We're in the same situation.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Auron

Postby vinteuil » Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 pm

A slight clarification and revision of the distribution as originally posted. The 3/3 arts will be subdistributed as follows:

• 1/1 Auditory. This includes jazz and "world music," but not opera or ballet, which will count as "audiovisual" below.
  • 1/1 Visual. This includes painting, sculpture, and anything else that you interact with (almost) exclusively by looking at.
  • 1/1 Other. This includes audiovisual media like film and musical theater; it also includes performances and art that you're more likely to touch, hold, live in, or otherwise interact with. Please vary your questions as much as possible by type of art; do not submit two "audiovisual" questions or two "useful arts" questions.
Jacob Reed
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Auron

Postby Auroni » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 am

I've updated the opening post with the packets we've received for the earliest deadline. Some of you have emailed me about reasonable extensions; your packets will be added once I actually receive them. Several more of you have messaged or asked me in person about extensions which will remain hypothetical until you actually email me about them.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Auroni » Sat May 19, 2018 8:53 am

Our field is now full, but I have begun soliciting/keeping track of staffers and there may be the possibility of expansion once I've got enough.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Auroni » Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 am

Side note: potential staffers, please send me an email so I can easily keep track of who'll be around. Thanks!
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Auks Ran Ova, in the trash thread, wrote:We have increased the fee by $5 a player in order to pay staffers

It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season? Or if not this year, for future COs?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Mon May 21, 2018 2:28 pm

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:
Auks Ran Ova, in the trash thread, wrote:We have increased the fee by $5 a player in order to pay staffers

It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season? Or if not this year, for future COs?

Seconding this
Will Alston
Auron

Postby Auroni » Mon May 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Cheynem wrote:As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?

Did you one better and pushed it back to the end of the month.

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season?

To match the incentive structure for CO Trash, I have now have edited the announcement to explicitly mention our $20 stipend (and customary free lunch) for staffers.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Mon May 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Auroni wrote:
Cheynem wrote:As this is both HSNCT and a holiday weekend, can the deadline for packets on the 27th possibly be pushed back a couple days (like the 29th)?

Did you one better and pushed it back to the end of the month.

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:It's very late to bring it up, but is replicating some form of this (probably not in the form of a sudden surcharge for teams) for CO proper possible, considering it's arguably the most physically demanding single day of reading in the entire season?

To match the incentive structure for CO Trash, I have now have edited the announcement to explicitly mention our $20 stipend (and customary free lunch) for staffers.

Awesome. Thanks.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus

Postby Auroni » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 am

I've expanded the field to 22 teams after assessing the staff situation, letting Mike Etzkorn's team in.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby gyre and gimble » Wed May 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Since the field's expanded, I'll tentatively express interest. My case schedule keeps getting moved around but theoretically I am free for CO weekend.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Tidus

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Inspired by a suggestion from Alex Damisch, I shall have a packet with the theme of "annoying / mean / horrible things to make people say" - not in the sense of the answers being offensive words, but in the sense of the answer being hard to give, or pertaining to making someone say something that's annoying / hard to have to say. I'd like to read to folks at some point over CO weekend - perhaps on Friday evening. The questions may feature some amount of extreme vanity.

People are more than welcome to suggest drinking game rules to accompany this.

EDIT: Vanity warning.

EDIT 2: Further clarification
Will Alston
Auron

Postby Auroni » Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 am

Reminder that tonight is the deadline for -$25 packets (unless you've emailed me asking for an exception).
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Can you update the packet list (to make sure you got our packet, among others)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby Benin Rebirth Party » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Is there a sign-up for Imaginary Landscape 4? Has a format been confirmed?
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

FINALIST -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR
Benin Rebirth Party
Tidus

Postby ThisIsMyUsername » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:Is there a sign-up for Imaginary Landscape 4? Has a format been confirmed?

I've had a format in mind for a while now. I'm still waiting for confirmation from the university as to which building(s) they're giving us this year. (Whether it will be Cobb again is up in the air.) This could affect how many rooms have A/V capability, and during what times we'll have those rooms. I didn't want to announce the format, have people sign up, only then for me to need to change it. But if people would prefer that I get the ball rolling with the tentative format, I can do so.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '19

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Tidus

Postby Auroni » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Geriatric trauma » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Will the tournament be renamed to reflect its new location?
Ryan Rosenberg
Taking classes at DePaul | North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
PACE | ACF
Geriatric trauma
Auron

Postby Auroni » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

No.
Last edited by Auroni on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I for one welcome more tournaments moving closer to my home
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus

Postby Guile Island » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.
Dylan Minarik
Retired Quizbowl Gadfly
Member, PACE

Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Guile Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Postby Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Guile Island wrote:
Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.

There's only one option
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus

Next

Return to Collegiate Announcements & Results