Announcement: 2018 ACF Nationals (April 21-22 at MIT)

Old college threads.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Re: Announcement: 2018 ACF Nationals (April 21-22 at MIT)

Post by gyre and gimble »

Will there be a final? And any chance it’s livestreamed or recorded?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

gyre and gimble wrote:Will there be a final? And any chance it’s livestreamed or recorded?
This is still being determined. If it does, we're pretty sure livestreaming (at least recording) is possible. When enough Round 10s have ended, I'll post an approximate time for finals and awards.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Chicago A has won the tournament outright. The second place game will be played in 10-250 at approximately 2:45 PM.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

This link has playoff stats through Round 18 for the top two brackets and Round 15 for the lower two brackets. More complete stats will follow after Andrew Feist gets home and is able to enter the remaining scoresheets.
Sam L,
PACE
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Galstaff, Sorceror of Light wrote:Chicago A has won the tournament outright. The second place game will be played in 10-250 at approximately 2:45 PM.
Not sure if this has started, but if it were livestreamed in lieu of a final I for one would very much appreciate it.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Galstaff, Sorceror of Light wrote:Chicago A has won the tournament outright. The second place game will be played in 10-250 at approximately 2:45 PM.
Not sure if this has started, but if it were livestreamed in lieu of a final I for one would very much appreciate it.
I'm glad you asked
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:
I'm glad you asked
Kevin Wang has one going which will hopefully have better audio than the previous game
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Final Standings:

1st overall: Chicago A
2nd overall: Penn A
3rd overall: Yale

1st UG: Berkeley A
2nd UG: Oklahoma
3rd UG: Illinois

1st DII: Harvard B

Safe trip home, everyone! A more complete wrap up post and stats will be posted late tonight or tomorrow after Andrew Feist and I recover from our long trips home.
Sam L,
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I have recordings of some games, including the 2nd place games, with hopefully better audio than the stream. I see that my new laptop doesn't have an adapter on this most crucial period of me editing these things (the flight back from the tournament) but they'll get posted eventually.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Now that I'm awake enough to type coherently, there's a lot of people I have to recognize for their work on this tournament.

First, of course, the 47 teams who joined us in Boston this weekend. Thank you all so much for coming, and I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

Our hosts at MIT, who were great to work with and tried to give us more help than we actually received. The fact that floorplans were sent and didn't make it to the people who needed them at the end of the day is not at all MIT's fault, and I wish this miscommunication had been noticed in time for it to be helpful to us. Bryce Hwang and Kevin Li in particular deserve commendation for their help with facilities and with running the satellite bracket.

All of our staffers for coming out and giving their weekend to making ACF Nats happen; I've always found Nats the most exhausting event to staff and commend our folks for their positive attitudes and dedication to providing a good experience for teams.

Eliza Grames and Bernadette Spencer made sure that we had a great bunch of staffers for this tournament and that our staff had somewhere to stay. Eliza also created the schedule for this tournament and handled staff food.

Auroni Gupta and Alex Damisch provided support with buzzer check-in, and many staffers contributed to making sure buzzers were safe and sound between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Andrew Feist was our stats wizard for this tournament; he is working on complete stats as I type this. Gopal Jayakar of Penn State was a tremendous help to him during this process.

Ryan Rosenberg was my control room point man for this tournament and provided invaluable assistance, especially with protest resolution and tiebreaker tracking.

Rob Carson made tiebreaker games happen while Ryan and I finally got to eat something.

Katy Peters was our local trophy and packet pickup person; many thanks to her and Ryan Westbrook for making sure those important supplies got to the tournament.

Gautam Kandlikar handled the process of invoicing teams, reimbursing staff, and being available to deal with any unexpected issues therein.

Finally, thanks to Andrew Hart and his editing team for their work on the set and their availability during the tournament to assist with protest resolution.
Sam L,
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Here are the recordings: http://doc-ent.com/qbc/ACFNationals2018/

Some of the rooms had sub-optimal setup for microphone placement so the players don't come through very loudly even after some audio processing. Finals have pretty good audio, though.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

Statistics should now be visible in the expected place (prelims is rounds 1-8; playoffs is rounds 9-18 + carryover games with actual standings listed; all games includes the round 8.5 tiebreakers and the second-place playoff series, and is the version that has the round report enabled).

If you think there are issues with a data point, let me know using one of the buttons below and I will pull out the scoresheet and double-check. (Discrepancies between your notebook and the scoresheet will generally be resolved in favor of the scoresheet, however.)
Andrew Feist
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

It looks like the prelim games between teams in the same playoff bracket are double counted in the combined stats.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

Charbroil wrote:It looks like the prelim games between teams in the same playoff bracket are double counted in the combined stats.
This should be now fixed.
Right now I've only updated the all games report, so if you sent in a name change or similar that will only be updated there at the moment. I'll revert the remaining ones once we get everything done.
Andrew Feist
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Hello! Could whoever has access to the set upload a Word files version to the archives as well, or just PM me with a link to the Google Docs/Word files? (Currently the archives only have PDFs.)

Having access to the Word files helps a lot for parsing the packets, which helps get them uploaded to question databases like QuizDB. Thanks!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM