MSU WAO 2 11/11/2017

Old college threads.
brianamagin
Lulu

MSU WAO 2 11/11/2017

Post by brianamagin »

MSU is proud to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of WAO II on November 11th. This tournament will most likely take place in Wells Hall, where previous college tournaments have been held on the MSU campus. This tournament will start around 9am.

The payment structure is as follows:
base fee: +$140 per team to your school's total fee. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.($120 for open teams: teams consisting of players from more than one college or high school)

buzzer discount: -$5 to your school's total fee for each fully functional system. There is no limit to the number of systems you can bring.

staff discount: -$5 to your school's total fee. This can be a coach, parent, student, or other person who is not playing. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (excepting finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.

travel discount: -$10 to your school's total fee for every 200 miles traveled one-way from your school's address to MSU, according to Google Maps.

Please pay us by cash or check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club” on November 11. Tell us if your team needs an invoice or you need to mail a check before the tournament. We will try to give all the teams invoices the day of the tournament. Please notify us if your team plan to pay after the tournament so we can get that process started ASAP. 

Register by emailing [email protected] and please indicate how many teams your school is planning to bring and any discounts you believe you are eligible for. We are excited to host this event and I personally look forward to seeing teams in East Lansing.

Current Field:
OSU (1)
Open team of: Tejas Raje, Billy Busse, Rob Carson and Ramapriya Rangaraju
Open team of: Dylan Minarik, Greg Peterson, Adam Silverman, and Auroni Gupta
U Chicago (3)
U of M (4)
Open team of: Andrew Wang, Kurtis Droge, Will Nediger, and Ryan Rosenberg
Wright State (1)
Last edited by brianamagin on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Briana Magin
Michigan State University '19
MSU QB President '18
Tejas
Rikku

Re: MSU WAO 2 11/11/2017

Post by Tejas »

Can we get a field update please? I emailed to register my team already.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The editors would appreciate a field update.

EDIT (9/26): There's a field update in the post. Thanks, Briana!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

After WAO II has finished, I'll be running a mirror of TOEJAMANDEARL, a charity video game tournament written by Erik Nelsen and other cool people from Play Quiz Bowl. I have no idea how many people are interested, so for now I'm asking players to form doubles; if we end up with only a few teams, we'll turn this into a shootout.

Those interested in playing or staffing should add themselves to this TOEJAMANDEARL team formation spreadsheet. I won't be bothering with any registration more formal than that.

EDIT: I messed up and didn't make the spreadsheet editable, but that should be fixed now.

Rob Carson has kindly agreed to handle payment, since he'll be seeing Erik much sooner after the tournament than I will. Now here's the man himself with donation details:
Erik, [url=http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20054#p335724]in the announcement thread[/url], wrote: As mentioned before, this set is being played for charity, and the suggested donation is $10 (though players are free to pay what they wish). I'm also glad to announce that the proceeds from this tournament will be split between the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and The Trevor Project. As before, this is PQB's first step in an initiative to support mental health organizations and the well-being of students in and out of the quiz bowl community, and more details on this initiative are coming soon.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
hornetvtol
Lulu

Post by hornetvtol »

I'd love to play this. Could I join the Open Team?
Eshaan Vakil
Clark High School Captain, 2016-2020
Las Vegas, NV
That one kid from Nevada™
"Wait, West Virginia's a state?"
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Beast Mode wrote:After WAO II has finished, I'll be running a mirror of TOEJAMANDEARL, a charity video game tournament written by Erik Nelsen and other cool people from Play Quiz Bowl. I have no idea how many people are interested, so for now I'm asking players to form doubles; if we end up with only a few teams, we'll turn this into a shootout.

Those interested in playing or staffing should add themselves to this TOEJAMANDEARL team formation spreadsheet. I won't be bothering with any registration more formal than that.

EDIT: I messed up and didn't make the spreadsheet editable, but that should be fixed now.

Rob Carson has kindly agreed to handle payment, since he'll be seeing Erik much sooner after the tournament than I will. Now here's the man himself with donation details:
Erik, [url=http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20054#p335724]in the announcement thread[/url], wrote: As mentioned before, this set is being played for charity, and the suggested donation is $10 (though players are free to pay what they wish). I'm also glad to announce that the proceeds from this tournament will be split between the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and The Trevor Project. As before, this is PQB's first step in an initiative to support mental health organizations and the well-being of students in and out of the quiz bowl community, and more details on this initiative are coming soon.
Having now played this, I'm going to strongly recommend we just run it as a shootout.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

If there are any open spots I'd be interested in playing this, or i can staff as well. Will be here anyway to play TOEJAMANDEARL.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Having now played [TOEJAMANDEARL], I'm going to strongly recommend we just run it as a shootout.
Sold. If the field grows some more, we'll break into two shootout rooms.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I sent out an updated schedule to team at this event. With 15 teams, I believe that a 8/7 team RR then with cross over games is the best solution based on the packets we have created. Please confirm your team's attendance by emailing [email protected] and CC me.

I hope teams enjoy the tournament this Saturday.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Beast Mode wrote:
Auks Ran Ova wrote:Having now played [TOEJAMANDEARL], I'm going to strongly recommend we just run it as a shootout.
Sold. If the field grows some more, we'll break into two shootout rooms.
We're at 13 signed up, and there are probably going to be a few people who sign up on site on Saturday. It wouldn't be hard to put people in random rooms, do a seeding round, and do the rest of the rounds in a top/bottom room system with promotion and relegation. Looking forward to getting a crack at the set either way!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Given that two teams dropped out, we are at 13 teams. We will then have a full RR with byes as was done last February when I was TD for Regs.

I'm Munich where wifi is spotty, but I promise there will be a new schedule sent out before Saturday. We thank you for your patience.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

The 2017 ICT Final Holiday Special (Dylan Minarik, Adam Silverman, Greg Peterson, and special guest star Auroni Gupta) won two games in a disadvantaged final over Wang et al. to win this tournament.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Mad respect (and much gratitude) to the MSU club, who managed to, miraculously, avoid something disastrous happening to torpedo this event. I say "miraculously" because, at the beginning of round 1 this morning, we had approximately 5 packets. ("Approximately," because packet 1 was missing two history tossups, which were instead replaced with random tiebreakers). Things did not get easier from there, with packets trickling in throughout the day, unreliable and in apparently random order.

The upshot was that we had to play our rounds completely out of order, and sometimes move packets from round to round. In the commotion of tournament-running, the odds that such a situation will lead to someone, somewhere reading the wrong packet are often quite high. Briana and co. deserve particular recognition for navigating these obstacles as well as could possibly be done.

Conversely, the editors of this set (that is, the chief editor, and whichever subject-editors-of-possibly-tundran-origins who failed to get their shit done on time) deserve the other kind of particular recognition. The tournament itself wasn't great - though I think it was actually closer to good than it might have seemed, since many of the most egregious issues could have been ameliorated by playtesting. Given that the tournament was still being written as it was being played, however, this possibility is obviously ludicrous.

Tldr don't write tournaments the day they are being played and MSU is awesome.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Thanks to MSU for running an excellent tournament despite the logistical challenges which Chris outlined above -- there were basically no delays and everything ran on time, which is a truly impressive feat. Major props to Briana and all the staffers.

As for the tournament itself, I thought it was overall good with some problems, but it was definitely obvious which categories' editors had been rushed and therefore produced questions of lower quality, and conversely which editors had gotten their stuff done and therefore been able to ensure better quality questions. I'll have more to say in the specific discussion forum, obviously, but Chris is largely on point insofar as this set will hopefully get much better before the next set of mirrors.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Please, if you get a chance, join the private discussion forum for this set. The history, literature, fine arts, and biological sciences were finished weeks ago and edited to the best of our ability with multiple rounds of feedback with Jonathan Magin halfway through the week after he was finished with his ACF Fall commitments. For me and Derek, this was our first time editing a set, and we would appreciate all the feedback we can get. I'm sure the two Jackobs would like comments too.
DumbJaques wrote: ("Approximately," because packet 1 was missing two history tossups, which were instead replaced with random tiebreakers).
The reason for this, as well as the reason for why a bunch of the RMPSS/CE/Trash sucked was that we didn't have someone as a designated head editor to tell people to get shit done when various people couldn't finish their commitments. We have learned the lesson the hard way.
DumbJaques wrote: Things did not get easier from there, with packets trickling in throughout the day, unreliable and in apparently random order.
Derek didn't realize this when he was finalizing some packets early this morning, so he went with the mindset of sending as many packets as he could to buy as much time as possible. Without Derek stepping forward and doing this, something he never ever signed up for, this set would have be very incomplete by the time the tournament started.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Aaron Manby (ironmaster) wrote:The reason for this, as well as the reason for why a bunch of the RMPSS/CE/Trash sucked was that we didn't have someone as a designated head editor to tell people to get shit done when various people couldn't finish their commitments. We have learned the lesson the hard way.
Dude, y'all are adults. If the lesson you take away from this is "this tournament was bad because we didn't have a head editor to nag people", that's bad. The lesson is "this tournament was bad because people didn't get shit done". Having a head editor is useful for coordinating, and for categories that are "collaborative", like the religion (incidentally, what were you thinking making 4/4 of the tournament not assigned to any particular person?), but for things like "literature" or "science", which seem to have been pretty clearly assigned to a specific person from the get-go, the problem here is that those people didn't get their shit done, and that's on them.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

First of all, let me heap more praise on the MSU team for their running of WAO II.

We played all eight rounds of TOEJAMANDEARL as a one-room shootout. There was much laughter and delight among the players. Thanks to Rob Carson for reading; knowing much more than I do about video games, he could better judge when to prompt on answers. Thanks also to Ryan Rosenberg for adding up the players' running totals while I was keeping score each round.

---

Here are the final scores and statlines:

Dylan Minarik: 12/33/20 = 410
Matt Lafer: 6/32/8 = 370
Tejas Raje: 4/19/2 = 240
Ramapriya Rangaraju: 2/13/9 = 115
Kenji Shimizu: 3/4/0 = 85
Colton Graham: 2/3/1 = 55
Auroni Gupta: 1/5/3 = 50
Noah Chen: 2/2/1 = 45
Billy Busse: 1/3/0 = 45
Jakob Myers (left after six rounds): 0/4/4 = 20
my normie friend: 0/2/2 = 10

---

Now I come not to bury Matt, but to praise Dylan:

Dylan and Matt were tied after round 1. Matt then jumped out to a big lead in round 2, but Dylan shrank the gap in each successive round until round 7, when he took the lead. Dylan then went 5/0/2 in round 8 to clinch the victory. Here are Dylan and Matt's scores after each round:

Round 1: Dylan 35, Matt 35
Round 2: Dylan 55, Matt 115
Round 3: Dylan 155, Matt 165
Round 4: Dylan 180, Matt 220
Round 5: Dylan 225, Matt 245
Round 6: Dylan 285, Matt 295
Round 7: Dylan 345, Matt 320
Round 8: Dylan 410, Matt 370
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Just wanted to commend MSU for their running of the tournament. They were very proactive in sending out schedules early so that we could look them over and give feedback on seeding issues so that everything was ready, and Briana did a great job handling the issues caused by the editors not sending packets out promptly.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14