Delta Burke 2017

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Delta Burke 2017

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia College will host the 20th iteration of the Delta Burke Invitational on November 10-11, 2017. It will be open for mirrors starting the following weekend, November 17-18 (though if you really, really wanted to run it on November 11, you could, but it's nice to catch errors at our tournament). As always, it will exhibit some small amount of hyperbole, lame jokes, pinko propaganda, and Ed Meese bashing.

And we'll use this kinda weird distribution we've used the last couple years:
Lit: 4/4 (1/1 American, 1/1 British/Euro (about 3/5 British in there), 1/1 world, 1/1 mixed--whatever, or more American)
History 4/4 (1/1 American, 1/1 British/Euro, 1/1 world, 1/1 mixed--whatever, or more American)
Science: 4/4 (1/1 bio, 1/1 physics, 1/1 chem, 1/1 everything else)
Religion: 1/1
Myth: 1/1
Philosophy: .5./.5
Social science: .5/.5
Fine arts: 2.5/2.5 (1/1 visual, 1/1 music, .5/.5 other)
Mixed thought: (.5/.5 (no, I don't know what this is, either, but we fill it somehow))
Geography: 1/1
Trash: 1/1 (this year, all trash questions will be on famous distance runners of the pre-1990s, like Lasse Viren and Paavo Nurmi*)

So yeah, there's more American lit and history than in most distributions, I think, but that works for me and the field in Orlando. Forewarned is forearmed.

The mirror fee will be $35/team that you actually charge (so no charge for house teams or teams created to balance brackets). The 2016 set should finally be available on the archive, so check it out to see what you'd be getting yourself into. But the earlier sets are all there, too. Send me an e-mail if you'd like to mirror.

*Nah, but that would rule.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Delta Burke 2017

Post by CPiGuy »

Will this set be powermarked?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I don't think Delta Burke usually has powers. That said, this is a good tournament pretty much every year and people should probably mirror it more, particularly in some weaker regions - since there's not too many tournaments lined up this winter, perhaps having a few more mirrors of this around is a good idea.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Will is right, Conor--DB will remain happily unpowermarked forever. But I appreciate Will's endorsement.

Meantime, I hope folks will use the 2016 questions in practice with new players, and please offer feedback to the super-late discussion available in the Discussions area if you have comments and suggestions.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So this happened and a fine time was had by all. Chipola A won the tournament by clearing the field in the playoffs, going 11-0, and beating Chipola B, who was 10-1. (No, we don't insist on being two clear, and shut up, that's why). Valencia A and State College of Florida (Manatee) and Valencia C all finished 8-3. Here are stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

My takeaway is that teams did a little better overall on ppb. Six teams, one more than last year, got 15 ppb or better, led by Chipola A at 21.08. Considering that Chipola and Valencia both split their teams out, I think that's pretty good. Eight more teams were over 10 ppb, for a total of 14 teams over 10 ppb, compared to last year's nine teams. That's good--I wanted to ease up on our Orlando field of CC teams, the majority of which feature players in their first semester of quiz bowl at every level. I look forward to seeing how the questions play at the mirrors this coming weekend at VCU and Northwestern (I'm going to clean up the packets and have those to the hosts by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week). I'll set up a private discussion when those mirrors are completed, as it looks like there will be some more in spring.
Chris Borglum
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Is there a private discussion forum for this set?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

There's not yet, Conor. I've asked the King Adminstrator Bird Guy, though--just waiting on a reply (hint, hint!).
Chris Borglum
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:There's not yet, Conor. I've asked the King Adminstrator Bird Guy, though--just waiting on a reply (hint, hint!).
There is now!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Thanks, Rob!
Chris Borglum