2017 ACF Fall at UMD (Nov. 4, 2017)

Old college threads.
sarangyeola
Lulu

2017 ACF Fall at UMD (Nov. 4, 2017)

Post by sarangyeola »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the Mid-Atlantic site of ACF Fall 2017, to be held at the University of Maryland on Saturday, 4 November 2017. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we do hope that you join us at this event. This tournament will meet in Jimenez Hall on the University of Maryland Campus.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please email me at [email protected] with your team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
"New to Quizbowl" discount: $100

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2015 is required to submit a packet.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they’ll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2017: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
The submission schedule is as follows:

The submission schedule is:
September 9: -$30
September 23: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
October 7: No penalty (-$15 if optional)
October 14: +$25
October 21: +$50

Further penalty for packets later than October 21.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF Treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam at [email protected] with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events. We are, however, considering the possibility of running a separate tournament concurrently with the main collegiate event. If your high school team is interested please email me at [email protected] as soon as possible.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2017 or email the editors at [email protected].

EDIT: Updated to include ACF's centralized registration form.
Last edited by sarangyeola on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sarang Yeola
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Colorado Boulder
Charbroil
Auron

Re: 2017 ACF Fall at UMD (Nov. 4, 2017)

Post by Charbroil »

sarangyeola wrote:
Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they’ll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2017: [Team Name]” in the subject line.
Isn't the email address to contact the editors [email protected], not [email protected]?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

Charbroil wrote:
sarangyeola wrote:

Isn't the email address to contact the editors [email protected], not [email protected]?
Yes and this has now been fixed.
Sarang Yeola
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

Field:

School (Teams/Buzzers/Staff)
Maryland (2/1/~)
Georgetown (3/1/0)
Penn State (2/1/0)
Rochester (2/2/0)
Princeton (1/0/0)
Swarthmore (1/1/0)
Delaware (1/1/1)
CCIU (1/0/0)
Gettysburg (1/1/0)
Hopkins (5/2/0)
Rutgers (3/0/0)
VCU (2/4/2)
Penn (2/1/1)
American (1/0/0)
Total: 28/16/4
Last edited by sarangyeola on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sarang Yeola
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

If your school has registered through ACF's central registration but has not contacted me, your registration is not complete. Please make sure to follow both steps of the registration process when signing up for this tournament.
Sarang Yeola
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

With two Maryland house teams, we are now at 24 teams for this tournament. I am going cap it here for now, but if you were planning on signing up, please let me know and I can add you to the waitlist. We may expand the field depending on staff availability and the number of waitlist teams that want to play.
Sarang Yeola
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

We have expanded the field to 28 teams and reached the new cap. If your school is still interested in signing up for this tournament, please email me as soon as possible and I can add you to the newly refreshed waitlist.
Sarang Yeola
Capitoline
Lulu

Post by Capitoline »

What time is registration?
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

According to the email that was sent out, registration begins at 8:00 and will until 8:45.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
sarangyeola
Lulu

Post by sarangyeola »

Congratulations to Johns Hopkins C for winning ACF Fall! They won in a very exciting final against Johns Hopkins A that came down to a tiebreaker tossup.
Thank you all for coming out to the tournament.

Stats are posted here.

Thank you to Jonathan Magin, Paul Lee, Emma Stevens, Andrew Lim, Charles Tian, Steven Silverman, Jordan Brownstein, Naveed Chowdhury, Ophir Lifshitz, Matt Weiner and Eric Wolfsberg for coming out to staff.

Special thanks to Ophir for setting up electronic stats for this tournament that helped it run timely and smoothly.
Sarang Yeola
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Combined stats for the tournament are up. Again, thank you to all of the teams who came! If you notice any discrepancies in the statistics, please send me a private message and I'll try to resolve the issue.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27