Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UMN – 4/15/17

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UMN – 4/15/17

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I am thrilled to announce the University of Minnesota mirror of the Eisenhower Memorial Tournament on Saturday, April 15th. I, Alex Damisch, am directing this tournament, in collaboration with and with the support of the University of Minnesota’s quizbowl team.

EMT is a regular-minus undergraduate question set; you can read more about the questions (including the distribution) here. That means that graduate students are not eligible to play this tournament, but high schoolers are. This is the weekend in between ICT and ACF Nationals, so it’s a great opportunity to give less-experienced players a chance to shine.

The tournament will be held in Blegen Hall on the University of Minnesota’s West Bank campus. Please arrive at Blegen 10 at 8:30. I'd recommend parking at the Twenty-First Avenue Ramp.

Registration
The tentative field cap is at 24 teams, but we don’t expect having a problem if we need to expand the field. Please register by April 10th for my own sanity. You can register by emailing me at [email redacted after tournament]. Please include the name and cell phone number of a day-of contact, the number of teams you’re bringing, and the number of buzzers and staffers you’re bringing.

Fees
College base fee: $120
High school base fee: $100
Travel discount: -$10 for 200 miles traveled each way
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer system (at least 4 players on each side)
Staffer discount: -$10 per staffer (subject to my approval). All staffers should bring a working laptop that can open Word and PDF documents and a charger, and will be provided pizza lunch.
Last edited by Aaron's Rod on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Re: Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UMN – 4/15/17

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Field (teams/buzzers/staff)
Gustavus (1/0/0)
Carleton (1/1/0)
Wayzata (1/0/0)
Lawrence (3/1/1 [counting myself])
Minnesota (1/3/alum staffers)
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Minnesota took first place in this tournament, going 10-0. Wayzata took second, and Lawrence A and B tied in third place. Thanks so much to Sam Bailey, Carsten Gehring, Bernadette Spencer, and Rob Carson for staffing and for good advice in making everything run smoothly.

Staaaaaaaaats are forthcoming. Participants are encouraged to join the private forum to give feedback on EMT!
Alex D.
ACF

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT