This Tournament is a Crime @ Rice (2/25)

Old college threads.
uws10024
Lulu

This Tournament is a Crime @ Rice (2/25)

Post by uws10024 »

This is the general announcement of This Tournament is a Crime (TTIC), to be hosted at Rice University in Houston, on Saturday, February 25, 2017 from 8:30 A.M. to around 5 P.M. More informaton about TTIC can be viewed on Michigan's announcement of the main tournament here.

This tournament is an OPEN event. Anyone may play this tournament, in any combination of players on a team. We invite current high schoolers, current college students, and post-college people in quizbowl, including high school coaches, to attend. We will set an initial field cap at 12 teams due to staff restrictions, and will maintain a waitlist for additional teams. Until we can raise the field cap, we’ll also set a cap of two teams from each school.

The tournament will likely take place in the Humanities building, with the opening meeting conducted in the large amphitheater in Herring Hall.

Eligibility
Anyone at all may play this tournament. Any combination of people may form a team. Standard rules on team size (max six on a roster, max four playing at one time) apply.

Registration and Fees

Base Fee: $150
Discount per buzzer: -$5
Discount per staffer: -$25
Discount if all members of the team attend the same institution: -$30
The minimum fee is $60.

To register, you must e-mail me at hjp1 AT rice DOT edu with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you intend to bring, an email address where you can be contacted with details, and a mobile phone number in case I need to contact you the morning of the tournament. Feel free to share this announcement with any people that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

Payment Methods
All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. All checks must be made out to "Rice University Quiz Bowl".

Food
Breakfast will not be provided by the tournament, but lunch will be Jimmy John's. Each Jimmy John's sandwich will cost $8. Prior to the day of the tournament, I will collect lunch orders and before the opening meeting will collect payment for lunch.

Field as of 2/14 (Team, Number of Buzzers, Number of Staffers)
LA Tech, 0, 0
Andy Huff, Gram Brinson, Rafay Ashari, William Golden, 1 or 2, 0
Jake Sundberg et. al, 0, 0
Rice, 0, 0
Last edited by uws10024 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
His Majesty Hien I
Benevolent Caesar of Rice University
Lord of all Lands within 10 leagues of Houston-on-the-Bayou
Praetor of U.S. 59, Protector of Traffic Jams Across the Domains
Defender of Straphangers on all METRO transportation methods
wd4gdz
Tidus

Re: This Tournament is a Crime @ Rice (2/25)

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm looking for teammates. Contact me if you're interested.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Kevin
Wakka

Post by Kevin »

I sent an email to the address listed in the original post but never got a response. I'll be teaming up with Jake Sundberg and possibly some other people too.
Kevin Marshall
Coach, Mount Carmel Academy, New Orleans, LA (2014-present)
Coach, Chapelle HS, Metairie, LA (2011-2014)
player and/or secretary and/or captain, Tulane Quiz Bowl (2007-2009)
uws10024
Lulu

Post by uws10024 »

Stats are posted! You can find them here.
His Majesty Hien I
Benevolent Caesar of Rice University
Lord of all Lands within 10 leagues of Houston-on-the-Bayou
Praetor of U.S. 59, Protector of Traffic Jams Across the Domains
Defender of Straphangers on all METRO transportation methods
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Thank you for playing (This) Tournament is a Crime! We've set up a private forum (User Control Panel > Usergroups) for you to join and discuss the set.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA