2017 ACF Regionals at Michigan State (2/18/17)

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

2017 ACF Regionals at Michigan State (2/18/17)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Michigan State University Academic Competition Club is proud to announce that we are hosting the Great Lakes mirror of ACF Regionals Saturday, February 18th, 2017. More information about the set and packet submission can be found here. Teams should register using this link through ACF.

Logistics

Teams should meet in one of the Wells Hall Auditoriums for check-in at 8:15 am. The tournament will start promptly at 8:45. There will be a brief meeting at approximately 8:30 where the schedule will be given out. Teams should expect to hear at least 11 rounds and be out of the tournament at approximately at 6 pm. Lunch will be after the preliminary rounds.

We are setting a preliminary field cap of 18 teams based on staffing constraints. The field cap may expand if there is sufficient interest.

Parking and Lodging
I would recommend parking in one of the many parking lots near Spartan Stadium and walking to Well's Hall. They should be pretty empty because there is no football, basketball game that day. In the event they are filled, you can park on of the parking garages on Grand River.

There are many affordable hotels near MSU that can be used by out of state teams. The Kellogg Center is an on-campus hotel that may be used by teams that do not want to travel Saturday morning. If there is sufficient interest, I could try to ask for a discount at a hotel for out of state teams. Please tell me how I can help accommodate your visit.

Packet Submission
As noted in the tournament announcement, any team that contains a player who played a collegiate, regular-difficulty academic tournament prior to September 1, 2015 is required to submit a packet.
The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 11th, 2016: -$50
December 28th, 2016: -$25
January 8th, 2017: +$0
January 22nd, 2017: +$25
February 5th, 2017: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After February 12th, you will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

Cost
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/experienced staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of less than 3 players): -$75
New to quizbowl base fee: $-100

The MSU Academic Competition Club is not handling payment for this tournament. Instead, payment must be done directly to ACF.

Please email [email protected] to register and also cc the club account [email protected] We look forward to seeing teams from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and all over the Midwest in East Lansing February 18. ACF Regionals is a consistently great tournament that all collegiate quizbowl teams should play.
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: 2017 ACF Regionals at Michigan State (2/18/17)

Post by Ciorwrong »

This is the final field update. We are running a 14 team double round robin with re bracketing by morning win-loss. Expect a logistics email Wednesday or Thursday. Please note that I have canceled the MSU house team so we can properly staff.

School Teams Buzzers
Chicago 5 3
MSU House 0 1
Michigan 3 3
Illinois 1 2
Kenyon 1 1
Case Western 1 1
Ohio State 2 2
Northwestern 1
Total 14 13
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Final update: Ohio State B unfortunately can not attend so we are running a 13 team round robin. I sent out a new schedule to teams so let me know if it has any issues. Pleas be at Wells Hall by 8:30 at the latest.

Link to schedule
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Progcon wrote:Edit: Final Stats
Was no final played?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Michigan beat Chicago in the first game of an advantaged final.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Something seems off about the stats for Chicago E; Calvin Chu is recorded as having -2 negs, which gives him 10 positive points for his round against Chicago A.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Yeah sorry I didn't fix the mistakes in the stats till today. I was trying to get all the teams out of Wells ASAP because I wanted teams to get home at a reasonable hour. Additionally, I had another commitment after the tournament. As Will said, Michigan A beat Chicago in the first game of an advantaged final (now in the stats). Kenyon won the undergraduate title by two games so congratulations to them for a great effort.

I hope teams felt the the tournament was run professionally and as promptly as possible. Understand that a 13 round mirror with a one game advantaged final takes a lot of time to run and I think I can speak for the entire staff when I say I am extremely happy with how the mirror went. Special thanks goes out to Ryan Westbrook, Sudheer Potru, and Dillon Edwards for driving to MSU to help read. You and the MSU staffers made my job a lot easier Saturday. All the teams that came to our mirror are welcome to any future college events at MSU and let me know if there are any issues with the stats or whatever!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired