MLK at University of South Carolina 1/16/16

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

MLK at University of South Carolina 1/16/16

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina will be hosting a mirror of MLK XVII on January 16, 2016. I (Eric Douglass) will be the TD.

From Michigan's official announcement:

"This set will be completely written and edited by the University of Michigan team and playable by anyone enrolled in school. We will produce 15 packets of difficulty that uses Penn Bowl 2014 as a start point but ends up more accessible, on a slightly skewed "bell-curve" scheme of difficulty, in which every packet will have several tossups with easier-than-average answerlines, and maybe one or two tossups with answerlines of harder-than-average difficulty. We will work hard to provide all of our bonuses with true easy parts answerable by the majority of teams playing."

Location and time:

The tournament will take place in the Gambrell Hall. We will meet in the lobby. Registration will begin at 8 and play will begin no later than 9:15. There are a few meter parking lots in the immediate vicinity and several parallel meters along Barnwell, College, and Pendleton streets. The regular meters are not checked on Saturdays, though there are a few 15 minute meters that are. The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building here, and the green represents the metered lots. Located in the geographic center of South Carolina, Columbia is a fairly short drive from anywhere in South Carolina. It is 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 3.5 hours from Atlanta.

E-mail me at [email protected]. Let me know the number of teams, staff, and buzzers you plan to bring. Posting here is not sufficient for registration.

Fees:

Please pay with cash of check the day of the tournament.

Base Fee:

$120 base fee
$15 discount for each capable moderator with working laptop
$10 buzzer discount
$10 travel discount if over 200 miles from the University of South Carolina, as per Google Maps

If you have any questions about this mirror, please contact me at [email protected] .

UGA (2 teams)
Duke
Tennessee
UNC (2 teams)
USC (2 teams)

Expressed Interest:

Clemson
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Auron

Re: MLK at University of South Carolina 1/16/16

The roster of registered teams has been updated.
Eric D.
Auron

Congratulations to UGA A for winning the USC MLK Mirror. The day ended with a 3 way tie for first between Duke, UNC A, and UGA. UGA beat Duke in a play-in game to advance to the championship match against UNC. UGA won that match to win the tournament.

Thanks to all of the teams that came to the tournament. I hope you enjoyed playing as much as I enjoyed directing. Thanks to our fantastic tournament staff. Specifically, Bryn Douglass, Patrick Cleary, J.R. Fennell, Julia Tallant, and Ben Ingram. Thanks also to Michigan for writing the set.

Unofficial stats are available here. I'm going to check for accuracy tonight and produce separate reports for prelims, playoffs, and finals.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Thanks again to everyone for coming. We look forward to hosting again soon!
Eric D.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The South Carolina A and Georgia B game is entered twice.

EDIT: I think North Carolina B is missing a game played, as they only have 9 games played; could they be missing a game against Duke?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

could they be missing a game against Duke?
No, we only played UNC B once. It looks like their missing game might be against USC A, based on how the afternoon brackets were done. The game we seem to be missing is our third game against UGA A (the finals play-in game).
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Auron

Ok, I've gone through the stats again and cleaned everything up (I think). Anyway, enjoy:

Prelims
Playoffs
Play In Game
Championship game
Combined
Eric D.