PADAWAN at Texas A&M 10/25/14

Old college threads.
evilmonkey
Yuna

PADAWAN at Texas A&M 10/25/14

Post by evilmonkey »

Aggie Quizbowl is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a mirror of PADAWAN on October 25, 2014, at Texas A&M University in College Station, TX.

Details about the tournament set itself may be found here.

Details about this particular mirror will be posted in the not-so-distant future.

To register for this tournament, please send an email to [email protected].
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Re: PADAWAN at Texas A&M 10/25/14

Post by evilmonkey »

(Slightly edited from the email I sent out earlier today)

Howdy!

Aggie Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the Texas mirror of PADAWAN at Texas A&M University on October 25, 2014. PADAWAN is a power-marked, line-capped college regular difficulty tournament - you can read more about the details by following the link in the post above.

We have held off on announcing specifics until now because we were a little uncertain about reserving rooms. However, we are now able to confirm that we will hold this tournament in the Engineering/Physics Building, alternatively known as Cain Hall.

Because of the limitations of this building, we will be capping the field at 9 teams; For this reason, and based on already expressed interest, we will not be accepting registrations for a third team from any school, or a second team from any high school, until after October 11th.

Registration will begin at 8:30 AM, with the hope that we can begin the tournament by 9:00 AM. If teams coming from farther away request it, I am willing to move the start time of this tournament later in the day.

The fee structure is as follows:

*Base Entry Fee: $80
*Each team past the first: -$10
*Competent Moderators: -$15 (max 1)

*Scorekeepers: -$5 (max 2)
*Buzzers: -$10 (max 2)
- If your buzzer does not arrive by 8:50, you will not get this discount.
*Travel Discount:
-$10/team/first 200 miles travelled
-$5/team/each additional 100 miles
(Note: these only apply in one direction)

**Minimum Entry Fee: $45/team

To register a spot in the field, please email us at [email protected] indicating the number of teams you intend to bring, and the number of buzzers you plan to bring. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Bryce Durgin
Sr. VP, Aggie Quizbowl
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Current Field (8, 4 buzzers)
Rice (3, 2 buzzers)
Harmony Austin (1, 1 buzzer)
Texas (2)
Texas A&M (2, 1 buzzer)
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

[Details copy/pasted from my email on Wednesday]
[I can't actually attach the map, it is too large]

Howdy!

Thank you for registering to compete in the Texas A&M mirror of PADAWAN this Saturday, October 25th. The tournament will be held on the second floor of the Engineering Physics building (alternatively named Cain Hall) - see map. The opening will be held in Room 201. The closest parking is in Northside Garage, which I am fairly sure is $2/hr, and not the ~$10 shown on the map. Alternatively, you may choose to park two blocks northwest in the St. Mary's Catholic Church parking lot for free.

I am expecting 8 teams: 3 from Rice, 2 from UT-Austin, 1 from Harmony, and 2 house teams. If for some reason you need to drop a team, let me know as early as possible.

Registration will begin at 8:30am. The initial meeting will be at 8:50, and we aim to start round 1 by 9:00. As mentioned in previous emails, you only get to claim buzzer discounts if you are there by 8:50. But do please bring your buzzer systems.

With 8 teams, we will run a round robin, and then rebracket into a top and bottom bracket, and play the bracketed round robin, for a total of 10 games. If the top two teams are tied or a game apart in the standings after 10 rounds, we will have a final. If everyone is awesome, and we run 30 minutes/round, we'll be done by 4; if everyone is less than awesome and we run 45 minutes/round, then we'll be done at 6:30.

We intend to have lunch after the first 7 games, although we may break earlier. Potential lunch places are also noted on the map.

There are book prizes for the top two teams, and the top n scorers, where n is the number of books left over after the top teams claims their prizes.

If for some reason you are running late on Saturday, please call me at [REDACTED]. If I do not know you will be walking in by 9:05, I will not delay the tournament until then.

If there is anything else I forgot to mention, feel free to shoot us an email [ at [email protected] ]
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

So, we ended up with a six team tournament. The House team cleared the field at 10-0; Texas A took second at 7-3.

Stats can be found here.

It should be noted that both Texas and Texas A&M were missing EDIT: members of the A team that may or may not be primarily science players.

Thanks to John, Auroni, Matt, Seth, and all their Padawans who wrote this tournament. It seemed like everyone by and large enjoyed the set.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15