ICCS (Collegiate Novice) at Florida Gateway College 10/4/14

Old college threads.
Florida Gateway
Lulu

ICCS (Collegiate Novice) at Florida Gateway College 10/4/14

Post by Florida Gateway »

Florida Gateway College is please to annouce we will be hosting a mirror of the Introductory College Collaboratory Set viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16162 on October 4th.

Player meeting and registration in Galloway Hall (Building 008 on the FGC main campus) about 9:45am with rounds to begin about 10am. The format hasn't been determined but all teams are guarenteed at least 7 matches.

Eligibility Rules:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email Fred Morlan at fredmorlan[at]gmail[dot]com; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play.

Entry fees:
$20 fee per person (with a maximum of $80 for a team of 4, 5 or 6; if you've got 7 players you should just form 2 teams)
This is higher than the organizers asked for because the registration fee covers lunch for all the players, staffers and coaches.
No discounts, I expect everyone to bring a buzzer or two and a staffer or two :grin:

To sign up, email me at james[dot]givvines[at]fgc[dot]edu by 9/18. I need to know how many teams (players, staffers and coaches) and buzzers you will be bringing.
James Givvines
Coach at Florida Gateway College
Florida Gateway
Lulu

Re: ICCS (Collegiate Novice) at Florida Gateway College 10/4

Field (updated 9/9/14)

Florida Gateway 2-3 teams 3-4 staffers
College of CF 2-3 teams 1 staffer
Valencia 2 teams 2 staffers
SCF - Manatee 2 teams 2 staffers
Chipola 2 teams 2 staffers
James Givvines
willis1
Lulu

Post by willis1 »

UF will be bringing at least two teams, and including myself two staffers. We will bring 1-2 buzzers based on how many are completely working. We may have three or four teams, I will update when I know.
Benjamin Willis
President University of Florida Quiz Bowl
[email protected]
(813)-562-3402
Florida Gateway
Lulu

Field Update:

Florida Gateway 2-3 teams
Valencia 2-3 teams
CCF 2-3 teams
Chipola 2 teams
SCF 2 teams
UCF 1 team
UF 2-4 teams
NWFSC 1 team

So, I guess I will have plans for 14-16 and 18 team fields and we'll see who shows up :)

For readers we've got: Borglum, Damien, Cassandra, Dunkle, Darrell, Keith and Shirley (from FGC), then a few others from SCF, CCF, UCF and UF... I also have a few people from FGC who are interested in scorekeeping. I think I can give coaches a few rounds off from reading to watch their teams.
I've got 4 buzzers here. So if UF, UCF, Valencia, Chipola, CCF and SCF brings one each that gives us either just enough or one-two spares.

Lunch will be pizza. (A lot more meat and veggie than last time, I promise!)
James Givvines
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

Post by Japanophilus Maximus »

Great tournament everybody. Look forward to seeing the stats posted up. Also, we were looking to have copies of the packets, but at the end of the tournament couldn't reach anyone. When do you think ICCS 2014 will be posted in the archives?
Naimul Chowdhury
New College of Florida '17
State College of Florida - Manatee '15
Self-projected CCCT All-Star of 2015 [Actually accomplished!]
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

Japanophilus Maximus wrote:Great tournament everybody. Look forward to seeing the stats posted up. Also, we were looking to have copies of the packets, but at the end of the tournament couldn't reach anyone. When do you think ICCS 2014 will be posted in the archives?
The ICCS set will be posted to the archives soon after the last mirror has been completed. As of now, the last mirror is scheduled for October 25.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

Post by Japanophilus Maximus »

Thank you! They were well-written packets. Perfect for the level of play.
Naimul Chowdhury
New College of Florida '17
State College of Florida - Manatee '15
Self-projected CCCT All-Star of 2015 [Actually accomplished!]
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

What were the results of this?
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF