This is the official global announcement for ACF Regionals 2017, which will take place on February 18, 2017.EDITORS
Head editor: Andrew Hart
Co-editors: Stephen Liu, Nathan Weiser, Benji Nguyen, Cody Voight, Adam SilvermanREGISTRATION
All teams must register through the centralized form, linked here: https://goo.gl/forms/eG6MUxgT25mHRgQH2HOSTS
We are actively seeking hosts in all of the regions listed below. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Bidding is open until November 30th. If you serve a different region than the ones listed but still think you could attract teams and run a viable site, please feel free to bid anyway. Depending on where the sites are distributed within the regions below, we may add or subtract sites.
Canada/Niagara: Queen's University
Southeast (North): Louisville
Southeast (Central): Georgia Tech
Great Lakes: Michigan State
Great Plains: Oklahoma
United Kingdom: Warwick
We are also open to allowing high schools to host high-school-only mirrors of the set. Interested hosts of such tournaments should also email email@example.com
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2015 is required to submit a packet.
* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals and summer opens count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Trash or “hybrid” tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT's Collegiate Novice series sets do not.
The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 11th, 2016: -$50
December 28th, 2016: -$25
January 8th, 2017: No penalty
January 22nd, 2017: +$25
February 5th, 2017: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After February 12th, you will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.
Please submit your packet to firstname.lastname@example.org
. The actual e-mail with the attached packet should have a subject-line reading: School + Team Letter (if applicable) PACKET." In order to meet a deadline, you must submit your packet before 11:59pm Pacific Time on that date. Packets should be submitted in Microsoft Word .doc or .docx format.FEESBase fee
: -$5/functional systemStaffers
: -$10/stafferShorthanded fee
(teams of 1 or 2 players): $60New to quizbowl discount
: -$100"New to quizbowl" discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another schoolACCESSIBILITY
We are continuing last year's initiatives to make ACF Regionals a more accessible tournament. Please take the following guidelines into account when submitting your packet:
* At least 50% of tossup answers should be things that can be tossed up at ACF Fall. This does not mean that you write an ACF Fall-style tossup. Your tossup should still be a "regular-difficulty tossup on a Fall-level answer line."
* For the remaining 50% of questions, stick to solid regular-difficulty answer lines, and don't push the envelope.
* Easy parts for bonuses should be genuinely easy, once again along ACF Fall lines.
* While hard parts should still be "regular-difficulty" hard parts, we encourage you to ask about deep things connecting to easy material. Try to guess at what someone who really knows a lot about the subject matter might find interesting or memorable, rather than simply repeating a clue or answer line that you recall hearing at a more difficult tournament.
* Tossups will be hard-capped at 7 lines. Every tossup will have some text on its seventh line. Please feel free to submit tossups that are longer than 7 lines, but do not submit any tossups that are shorter than 7 lines, or we will send them back to you. DISTRIBUTION
Each packet should contain 24 tossups and 24 bonuses, distributed as follows:
5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/0 or 0/1 World, 1/2 or 2/1 Misc.)
5/5 History (1/1 American, 3/3 European, Canadian, or Australian, 1/1 World)
5/5 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/0 or 0/1 Math or Comp sci, 1/0 or 0/1 Astronomy, Earth Science, or Geology, 1/1 Misc. Science)
2/2 Religion and Myth (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology)
2/2 Philosophy and social science (1/1 Philosophy, 1/1 Social Science)
3/3 Fine arts (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Non-opera classical music, 1/0 or 0/1 Misc. visual arts, 1/0 or 0/1 Misc. auditory arts)
1/0 or 0/1 Geography
1/0 or 0/1 Current events
1/0 or 0/1 Trash
1/0 or 0/1 Misc. academic
Failure to conform to this distribution will result in the packets being returned to its authors, with instructions to fix the distribution.
For further details about distribution, please consult the ACF website.FURTHER QUESTIONS
If you have any further questions, please send them to email@example.com
.RECEIVED PACKETS-$50 deadline
Johns Hopkins B
Johns Hopkins A
Toronto A-$25 deadline
Ohio State A
Carnegie Mellon A
Georgia BNo-penalty deadline
Carleton College B
Carleton College A
Chicago A+$25 deadline