Filling in some results/stats

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Scipio
Wakka

Filling in some results/stats

Post by Scipio »

Because I was a stats-obsessed prima donna for pretty much all of my playing career, I have paper copies and statistics from lots of old tournaments I attended. These include many not currently on the Berkeley Archive. I was thinking about making .pdf files of these (the copiers at my school will do this) and sending them to anyone who cared, but I'm not sure if anyone does. Is the Berkeley site still being updated in any way? Is there any successor site to it?

One of things which always strikes me looking back on those early-to-mid nineties events is just how large the fields were, at least at the southern tournaments. For example, my first ACF tournament was 1994 Georgia Tech's Heinrich Bowl; there were nineteen teams from thirteen schools there . What was even better was that there was no such thing as Division II back then: sophomores played Grad Students, took our beatings without resentment, and resolved to get better. Ahh, the good old days.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Filling in some results/stats

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Berkeley has an archive? Or do you mean Stanford?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Scipio wrote:Because I was a stats-obsessed prima donna for pretty much all of my playing career, I have paper copies and statistics from lots of old tournaments I attended. These include many not currently on the Berkeley Archive. I was thinking about making .pdf files of these (the copiers at my school will do this) and sending them to anyone who cared, but I'm not sure if anyone does.
This sounds really interesting, and I'd love to see this happen.
Scipio wrote:One of things which always strikes me looking back on those early-to-mid nineties events is just how large the fields were, at least at the southern tournaments. For example, my first ACF tournament was 1994 Georgia Tech's Heinrich Bowl; there were nineteen teams from thirteen schools there . What was even better was that there was no such thing as Division II back then: sophomores played Grad Students, took our beatings without resentment, and resolved to get better. Ahh, the good old days.
This year's ACF Fall at Georgia Tech featured 20 teams from 14 schools. The only major difference from 1994? Six of those teams were from four high schools (they went a combined 31-21.) Unfortunately, there don't seem to be very many grad students right now in Southeast quizbowl, especially north of Florida; the only one I can think of is Alyssa Hesse from USC.

Most mainstream tournaments, nationwide and in the Southeast, have long since abandoned the divisional structure. I don't particularly regret this nonsense being abolished here -- the twelve best players I've seen at tournaments this year consist of three seniors, a junior, two sophomores, three freshmen, a high school senior, a high school junior and a community college student. That's a very good thing, and the fact that they're all playing against each other is even better.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Scipio wrote:Is the Berkeley site still being updated in any way?
Not since the Clinton administration. I think the community would welcome any and all old stat/results posted to the wiki once it gets up and running again.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Marchbanks wrote: Unfortunately, there don't seem to be very many grad students right now in Southeast quizbowl, especially north of Florida; the only one I can think of is Alyssa Hesse from USC.
Well there's me, and there's Jonathan Thompson of Alabama. But then again, ULL is really not in the Southeast or the Southwest, even though we've been more affiliated with Southeast quizbowl since Fall 2007. Travel is tough on us, but we still manage to find a way most of the time. Our ACF Fall trip, for example, was an 11-hour trip (counting traffic, etc) plus an extra hour lost due to change of time zones. But back when we were more affiliated with the Southwest, our average trip was still over nine hours long, considering that most of the tournaments we attended were in Oklahoma. Right now, I suppose we're on the far west end of the Southeast region, and the far east end of the Southwest region. It's a tough spot to be in, but I suppose we're in the Southeast for now. Unfortunately, we didn't get to play against each other due to the format of ACF Fall, but I was there (or at least my shadow was).
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired