Announcing the Bounceback Foundation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
InvadErGII
Rikku

Announcing the Bounceback Foundation

Post by InvadErGII »

To add to the outstanding discussion going on over in the college section, I'd like to add some news about an initiative PQB has been working on over the summer:
Over the past several months, I’ve given considerable thought to what quiz bowl has done for me in the nearly 20 years (!) I’ve been involved with it in some fashion. I’ve reflected a lot on the community this game has fostered, the support it has given me and others, and what I can do to best give back. As a person who has suffered from depression and bipolar disorder, I've thought about how quiz bowl has gotten me through so many difficult times, in high school and as an adult. These issues are ever-present in this community, and the opportunity exists to do more to help kids and young adults who struggle in the same way I did.

With that in mind, I’m proud to announce the formation of the Bounceback Foundation, an organization dedicated to promoting positive mental health in the quiz bowl community and raising money for causes that promote mental health support and awareness for young people. Among its non-fundraising goals are to provide handouts and other materials for players and teams that provide information on professional mental health resources and how to recognize the signs of a possible crisis. The foundation also seeks to promote a positive and safe environment in all quiz bowl-related activities, from team practices to national tournaments, and to end the stigma that surrounds talking about mental illness.

The Bounceback Foundation is (pending document approval) a 501c3 non-profit organization, for which donations are entirely tax deductible. Funds to the foundation, at the time of this announcement, are designated to be given to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Trevor Project. The foundation's board will regularly meet to discuss possible changes to the recipients of these funds and other matters concerning the regular operations of the foundation.

As a result of the above, all further sales of Play Quiz Bowl shirts or similar merchandise will benefit the Bounceback Foundation. Because of this, Play Quiz Bowl's "new team grant" program is being discontinued. All funds currently reserved for that purpose will remain so for the next 12 months and grant applications will be considered in that time frame. Any funds that remain after that period (on or around November 1, 2018) will be given to the Bounceback Foundation.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I want all quiz bowl players at all levels to know - please know that you are valuable and important, and that if you are struggling you are not alone. If you or a loved one is in need of help, please contact the National Suicide Prevention lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
I'm excited to have this off the ground and look forward to working on bettering this community. Some more links:

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
alexdz
Rikku

Re: Announcing the Bounceback Foundation

Post by alexdz »

This is awesome, and AFSP and the Trevor Project are two amazing organizations. Thank you so, so much Erik!
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Hey, folks! The Bounceback Foundation's first fundraiser is live - we're selling shirts displaying the core of our message - to bounce back.

Shirts are available in both unisex and women's sizes, and there's a hoodie available as well. You can order one or more shirts at this link. There is a minimum threshold that must be met for the shirts to be printed at all (and for any money to be raised), so if you're interested in taking part, don't delay! This will be open until or after December 5th.

Fixed hyperlink - The Mgmt.
Erik Nelson
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

InvadErGII wrote:Hey, folks! The Bounceback Foundation's first fundraiser is live - we're selling shirts displaying the core of our message - to bounce back.

Shirts are available in both unisex and women's sizes, and there's a hoodie available as well. You can order one or more shirts here. There is a minimum threshold that must be met for the shirts to be printed at all (and for any money to be raised), so if you're interested in taking part, don't delay! This will be open until or after December 5th.
The text that's supposed to be a link isn't.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

tksaleija wrote:
InvadErGII wrote:Hey, folks! The Bounceback Foundation's first fundraiser is live - we're selling shirts displaying the core of our message - to bounce back.

Shirts are available in both unisex and women's sizes, and there's a hoodie available as well. You can order one or more shirts here. There is a minimum threshold that must be met for the shirts to be printed at all (and for any money to be raised), so if you're interested in taking part, don't delay! This will be open until or after December 5th.
The text that's supposed to be a link isn't.
Now it is!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Yo, support this foundation, y'all.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would be interested if some sort of discussion/panel could be had in which we could talk about ways to act on the Foundation's vision of making quizbowl and tournaments a welcoming and encouraging environment. I don't know how to do this, though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

I think that interested individuals should get together to really create some sort of organization for the foundation. It has potential, but right now it's small and the goal is either too broad or too vague (help support mental health in the quiz bowl community? How? What kind of help?). I don't mean this as an insult at all, but just as a suggestion to help guide a good cause towards something greater :)
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Cheynem wrote:I would be interested if some sort of discussion/panel could be had in which we could talk about ways to act on the Foundation's vision of making quizbowl and tournaments a welcoming and encouraging environment. I don't know how to do this, though.
This is a good idea. We're having a board meeting sometime in the next week or so, and I will make a point to discuss this.

We'll be fleshing out the process for our outreach to local programs and other fundraising measures as well - some of this is admittedly vague as we get the ball rolling, but we want to make sure we're doing the most good with the resources available.
Erik Nelson