Packets with similar difficulty to NAQT IS-A/IS?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nrhsmrsleighton
Kimahri

Packets with similar difficulty to NAQT IS-A/IS?

Post by nrhsmrsleighton »

Hello! I am looking for packets of similar difficulty to NAQT IS-A and IS questions. Now that the VHSL is using NAQT questions, I want my team to practice with material closer in difficulty to what they're seeing in our matches. The old HSAPQ questions seem to be a lot harder than these new NAQT ones. I'd get practice packets from NAQT, but we have no money that I know of. Thanks!
--
Jennifer Leighton
Nansemond River High School, Suffolk, VA
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Packets with similar difficulty to NAQT IS-A/IS?

Post by tksaleija »

WHAQ and LIST are of similar difficulty. The former is a little under the standard, while LIST is slightly above.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

The thing is that IS-A and IS sets are incredibly different.

A-set questions are much shorter and directed at novices. The best free novice sets are the SCOP Novice sets.

In contrast, IS sets are considered to be regular difficulty. Almost all the sets listed here are regular difficulty, with the exception of the nationals set (NSC, NASAT), and those labeled as novice.

It is also important to note that due to the VHSL's unique format, none of these sets will be in the VHSL format. That being said, they remain great practice material and I encourage you to use them.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
nrhsmrsleighton
Kimahri

Post by nrhsmrsleighton »

El Salvadoreno wrote:The thing is that IS-A and IS sets are incredibly different.

A-set questions are much shorter and directed at novices. The best free novice sets are the SCOP Novice sets.

In contrast, IS sets are considered to be regular difficulty. Almost all the sets listed here are regular difficulty, with the exception of the nationals set (NSC, NASAT), and those labeled as novice.

It is also important to note that due to the VHSL's unique format, none of these sets will be in the VHSL format. That being said, they remain great practice material and I encourage you to use them.
Thank you! I think the SCOP Novice sets are what I'm looking for, at least for the time being. According to NAQT's website, the IS-A questions are being used for regular-season district play, which is going on right now. Would you say the IS sets are closer in difficulty to the old VHSL HSAPQ sets?
--
Jennifer Leighton
Nansemond River High School, Suffolk, VA
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

nrhsmrsleighton wrote:
El Salvadoreno wrote:The thing is that IS-A and IS sets are incredibly different.

Thank you! I think the SCOP Novice sets are what I'm looking for, at least for the time being. According to NAQT's website, the IS-A questions are being used for regular-season district play, which is going on right now. Would you say the IS sets are closer in difficulty to the old VHSL HSAPQ sets?
Yes I would, especially as one moves up to higher levels (some of the regular season ones are definitely easier than IS difficulty, but some are not).
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

The tournaments on QuizDB with a difficulty of 2 (Easy HS) and 3 (Regular HS) are probably what you're looking for for IS-A and IS, respectively.

(You can find a link to them in the admin portal here, or just filter for them on the main site.)

Which tournaments are 2 and 3 were subjective decisions by me, so I guess continue to voice opinions in this thread if you'd like me to change it/update it in QuizDB.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM