Academic Studies of the Benefits of Quiz Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Academic Studies of the Benefits of Quiz Bowl

Post by Great Bustard »

Is anyone aware of any academic studies of the benefits of academic competition of any sort, or ideally, of quiz bowl, or even more ideally, of pyramidal quiz bowl? A journalist with whom I'm in touch is interested in writing an article and wanted to know of any sort of studies that could be cited. If such a thing doesn't yet exist, has any statistics, sociology, or education psychology student ever thought of analyzing any aspect of quiz bowl? If anyone is interested in analyzing NHBB's competitions in particular in such a way, let me know, as I might be able to provide some funding for such a study.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
alexdz
Rikku

Re: Academic Studies of the Benefits of Quiz Bowl

Post by alexdz »

This is not *exactly* what you're looking for, but I ran across this article a few years ago through some science education listserv I was on. Might contain some useful nuggets.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present