Other Academic Competitions - Urgent

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Other Academic Competitions - Urgent

Post by Great Bustard »

This is a bit of an odd and urgent request, but which non quizbowl-style academic competitions out there fulfill the following criteria:
1. Nationwide, but not global
2. Relatively high number of participants
3. Well-run, and fair competition within the structure of how it's set up
4. Have a designated national champion

If you know of such competitions, please list them in the thread below. This is very time-sensitive - I must have this by 2pm Eastern this afternoon. Basically, what I'm trying to do here is distinguish between what's more legit and what's less so within the whole universe of debate/Model UN/various science olympiads/other competitions, etc.
In particular, if people know of such competitions for humanities fields (English, art, music) other than the National Spelling Bee, please let me know. Obviously, I know of quite a few other competitions, but my personal experience is limited beyond the realm of quizbowl, so I'm looking for any advice here.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Other Academic Competitions - Urgent

Post by Great Bustard »

As a follow up to this, does anyone know if any Americans (other than James Mullen for geography), won any of the international science olympiads this summer?
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

We the People is a thing. I only know about this because its finals have notably conflicted with National History Bowl since 2012.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Additional follow up - is there specifically any sort of national championship for Model UN or Model Congress?
David Madden
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Academic Decathlon fits those criteria to the best of my memory.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

I believe that Ocean Science Bowl meets these criteria, except for maybe the nationwide one. Not sure how widespread it is.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Academic WorldQuest and Envirothon fit the criteria
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Great Bustard wrote:Additional follow up - is there specifically any sort of national championship for Model UN or Model Congress?
There is no specific championship for Model UN as far as I know. All of the most important conferences are international.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

I've never done it, but maybe Science Bowl? Also, here is a map of the competition sites of Ocean Science Bowl (http://nosb.org/compete/regional-competition-map/); it's mostly states that have a coastline on either the Pacific, the Atlantic, the Great Lakes, or the Gulf of Mexico, plus Colorado.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

You probably already know about it, but Certamen is similar to quizbowl in many ways but focuses on classics and Latin. Wikipedia indicates that it seems to have a NASAT-esque national championship.

I've also been told about Fed Challenge from some of my friends at the Indiana St. Joseph, it appears to have a national championship but also seems to be more similar to something like Model UN than quizbowl.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Goole by-election, 1971 wrote:You probably already know about it, but Certamen is similar to quizbowl in many ways but focuses on classics and Latin. Wikipedia indicates that it seems to have a NASAT-esque national championship.
Whoops, I totally forgot about this; I was on Team California for the advanced level this summer. The national tournament goes like this: three rounds of playoffs; each match has three teams; each round is 20 relatively short tossups with two related bonuses per tossup. Nine teams make the semifinal playoffs based on total number of points accumulated in the prelims, then the winners of each of the three semifinal matches make it to finals.

Distribution is 40% actual Latin grammar/vocab/listening comprehension/etc., 20% literature, 20% myth, and 20% history.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

He said NON quizbowl style, hence not Science Bowl or (from the sound of it) Certamen.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

So basically, things that don't involve buzzers?
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18