An incident of plagiarism at NAQT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

An incident of plagiarism at NAQT

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT has fired one of its writers for submitting plagiarized questions (including some that appeared in finished tournament sets from 2013-14).
Full details

I'll be around here and in the irc to take questions.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: An incident of plagiarism at NAQT

Post by quizbowllee »

Could we see a side-by-side example of this plagiarism?

One of the main reasons I have never submitted questions to NAQT is that I'm afraid that I might inadvertently use "similar language" from other tossups. I'm just curious as to what level of similarity constitutes plagiarism in the eyes of NAQT.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

quizbowllee wrote:Could we see a side-by-side example of this plagiarism?

One of the main reasons I have never submitted questions to NAQT is that I'm afraid that I might inadvertently use "similar language" from other tossups. I'm just curious as to what level of similarity constitutes plagiarism in the eyes of NAQT.
For the record, we don't consider "similar language" to constitute plagiarism (after all, there are only so many ways to describe certain basic academic concepts). The questions involved in this case, however, copied text verbatim from publicly-available non-NAQT packets.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

quizbowllee wrote:Could we see a side-by-side example of this plagiarism?
Here's the question that was initially flagged as probably plagiarized:
submitted to NAQT wrote:This scientist mistakenly assumed that phosphate groups are neutral in his theory that DNA has a triple-helix structure. This man proposed the concept of resonance in molecules. This scientist created a namesake scale that ranges from zero point seven to four to measure electronegativity, a concept he introduced. For 10 points--name this this American who won both the Chemistry and Peace Nobel Prizes.

answer: Linus Carl _Pauling_
Here's the presumed source:
2010 ACF Novice, Packet by Editors 7, tossup 14 wrote: This man names five rules for determining the structure of complex ionic crystals. He mistakenly assumed that phosphate groups are neutral in his theory that DNA has a triple-helical structure. With Corey and Branson, this man proposed that alpha helices and beta sheets make up the secondary structure of proteins. This scientist created a scale that ranges from zero point seven to four to measure electronegativity, a concept he created. For 10 points, name this author of The Nature of the Chemical Bond, an American chemist who won Nobels in both Chemistry and Peace.
Answer: Linus Carl Pauling
After receiving the email noting the similarity of these two questions, we began checking more of Hari's questions. Here's another striking example we found:
submitted to NAQT wrote:This author wrote "No lovers lived so great, or died so well," which ends a work based on Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra. This author of ~Marriage a la Mode~ parodied Thomas Shadwell in one work. One of his poems chronicles the Battles of Lowestoft and St. James Day, in addition to the disastrous London Fire and is called "Annus Mirabilis." For 10 points--name this British poet of "MacFlecknoe" and "Absalom and Achitophel."

answer: John _Dryden_
The third sentence appears verbatim here, while the first sentence appears verbatim in the following tossup:
Prison Bowl III, round 14, tiebreaker tossup wrote: This man wrote about Saint Catherine and Maximinus in Tyrannic Love, and Leonidas becomes king and marries Palmyra in another work. This author wrote "No lovers lived so great, or died so well," which ends a work based on Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra. He defended Catholicism in "The Hind and the Panther." This author of Marriage a la Mode parodied Thomas Shadwell in one work. He wrote a poetic allegory of the Monmouth Rebellion and Popish Plot, using two Biblical characters. For 10 points, name this author of All for Love, MacFlecknoe, and Absalom and Achitophel.
Neither of those submitted questions was ever used in an NAQT set. Here's one that was:
2014 MSNCT wrote:This shape's area is half the product of two side lengths times the sine of the included angle, and also equals an expression using the semiperimeter called Heron's formula. This polygon is never concave since its angles must sum to 180 degrees. For 10 points--name this three-sided shape.

answer: _triangle_
Compare with:
2010 CMST, round 1, tossup 10 wrote:10. The Euler (“OIL-er”) line passes through the orthocenter (“OR-tho-SEN-ter”), circumcenter, and centroid (“SEN-troyd”) in this figure. The area of this polygon can be found by halving the product of two sides and the sine of the angle opposite of the third side or by simply using Heron’s formula. It is the only polygon that cannot be concave, because its angles must add to 180 degrees. For 10 points, name this polygon with three sides.
ANSWER: triangle
The phrasing is different, but all of the clues in the MSNCT tossup appear in the CMST tossup, and in the same order—including the rare/distinctive "cannot be concave" clue. It's not clear how much the phrasing was changed during mentoring, subject editing, or set editing.

I would like to publicly thank Samer Ismail for catching the first case and bringing it to our attention.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF