Let's make some more fun of MSHSAA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Let's make some more fun of MSHSAA

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

http://www.mshsaa.org/Advisory/News/17/ ... spx?id=408
(tabled)4. Recommended that the Board of Directors provide an exemption for NAQT that would allow the organization to host a tournament within the borders of Missouri and invite Missouri schools (Missouri schools would represent a minority of attendees), without being required to alter their tournament rules and style (i.e. timing rules, breaks, etc.) due to the multi-state format of their rules and procedures.
So if NAQT wants to run either SSNCT or MSNCT (the two tournaments that fit the bill for this rule) in St. Louis, MSHSAA is refusing to let them continue using official NAQT rules. This after NAQT for the past 4 years has allowed MSHSAA to preserve a veneer of legitimacy given how poorly received the obviously awful Questions Galore questions were immediately before. I'm endlessly astounded at how callous and incompetent this organization is, because NAQT is the only reason that good teams haven't openly revolted against MSHSAA. What a bunch of kooky megalomaniac control freaks.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: Let's make some more fun of MSHSAA

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

how would MSHSAA actually stop NAQT from using its rules? Wouldn't they only be able to stop Missouri teams from going or something?
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:http://www.mshsaa.org/Advisory/News/17/ ... spx?id=408
(tabled)4. Recommended that the Board of Directors provide an exemption for NAQT that would allow the organization to host a tournament within the borders of Missouri and invite Missouri schools (Missouri schools would represent a minority of attendees), without being required to alter their tournament rules and style (i.e. timing rules, breaks, etc.) due to the multi-state format of their rules and procedures.
So if NAQT wants to run either SSNCT or MSNCT (the two tournaments that fit the bill for this rule) in St. Louis, MSHSAA is refusing to let them continue using official NAQT rules. This after NAQT for the past 4 years has allowed MSHSAA to preserve a veneer of legitimacy given how poorly received the obviously awful Questions Galore questions were immediately before. I'm endlessly astounded at how callous and incompetent this organization is, because NAQT is the only reason that good teams haven't openly revolted against MSHSAA. What a bunch of kooky megalomaniac control freaks.
Wait, I'm reading this as "NAQT would not be forced to alter their rules." Am I misunderstanding this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote: Wait, I'm reading this as "NAQT would not be forced to alter their rules." Am I misunderstanding this?
That was the motion. The motion was tabled.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they

Yeah, that was the (proper, correct) recommendation the advisory committee gave to MSHSAA, and MSHSAA refused to act on it.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

And yes, they would be able to run whatever they want that doesn't have any Missouri teams attending, but when your reigning SSNCT champion is from Missouri and they are returning everybody, that's an obviously untenable position. I find it galling that a state where over half of the participating teams are NAQT small-school eligible would have a state activities organization that has no interest in making nationals an easily attainable goal for them, forcing them to instead pay to travel out of state with money that they often don't have.

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

In this context, "tabled" means "there will be more discussion in the future" (not "the motion has been rejected").

It's true that MSHSAA member schools would not be allowed to attend a regular-season national championship held in Missouri if it used NAQT rules. NAQT has been talking with MSHSAA in the hope of finding a solution to this issue that is agreeable to all parties involved.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:It's true that MSHSAA member schools would not be allowed to attend a regular-season national championship held in Missouri if it used NAQT rules. NAQT has been talking with MSHSAA in the hope of finding a solution to this issue that is agreeable to all parties involved.
Clearly your under-the-table bribes were not fat enough.

In all seriousness, I'd guess it comes down to "how much does the MSHSAA stand to gain from this?" If you think for a minute that the head honchos actually care about the budgets of the member schools in this regard, I have a bridge to sell you.