Vocabulary for Newbies

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
QuizLegacy
Lulu

Vocabulary for Newbies

Post by QuizLegacy »

I've been looking around the site for a few days now, and there are several terms people use that I don't know, or else it took me awhile to figure out what they meant. I was hoping I could get some help compiling a list of abbreviations and vocabulary words people who are new to the site should know.

[*]PPG - points per game, sometimes used as a tiebreaker

[*]PPB - (can someone post this one? I still don't know)

[*]Point Differential - Points earned minus points scored against a team, sometimes used as a tiebreaker

[*]Bonus Conversion - (Also don't know)

[*]Neg - (Don't know)

[*]Power-Mark - asterisk in a question which means that teams score extra points when they buzz in before it is written

[*]Pyramidal Questions - basically questions that begin with difficult clues and follow with increasingly easier ones; see http://www.pace-nsc.org/introduction-to ... -question/

If there are any more you can think of to list here, please do that. Vocabulary is the key to the world, so please help make a spare.
David Noble
Park High School, Livingston, MT
Class of '16
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Vocabulary for Newbies

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Most of these things have articles on the QBWiki. Many of them can be found in the Quizbowl basics category.

To quickly fill in the blanks above: PPB is short for "points per bonus", and measures how many points (out of 30) a team has converted on each bonus, on average. Bonus conversion refers to the same thing. A neg is the five-point penalty incurred for being the first team to interrupt a tossup question with an incorrect answer.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
hanbarasu95
Lulu

Re: Vocabulary for Newbies

Post by hanbarasu95 »

If you haven't seen this yet, I found Stephen Eltinge's post on the PACE website to be very thorough for often used terminology. http://www.pace-nsc.org/pace-quizbowl-lexicon/
Hari Anbarasu
------------------------
Sharon High School
Class of 2013
------------------------
Northeastern University