Prizes/awards for top scorers

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rpirrie
Wakka

Prizes/awards for top scorers

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--
Somewhat whimsical yet serious question--
I am looking for suggestions as regards good prizes for the top 5 scorers. It always seems to be a college bumper sticker or pencil, or (the classic) important works of literature. I sincerely think these are perfectly fine, but at a tournament I just ran there was an audible groan when I picked up the copy of Wuthering Heights during the opening talk. I was thinking of puzzles, or getting some stuff from one of those companies out there that sell unusual novelties (I am thinking of one which sells finger puppets of Schrodinger's cat, Sigmund Freud action figures, etc.). Any other fun but serious ideas out there? What was your favorite top scorer award that you've seen? Thanks.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Re: Prizes/awards for top scorers

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Can't go wrong with book prizes. If bratty quiz bowlers aren't appreciative of prizes, then that's their fault. As the TD, you aren't obligated by any means to buy prizes for them, but it's a great gesture nonetheless and I appreciate them regardless.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I once won a copy of Archie's Double Digest at a tournament.

One option might be to punch up the types of books bought as prizes--that is, you can't get too flexible with a budget, but I've always enjoyed picking up non-fiction or history books or even more genre novels like mysteries. Sometimes the same old suspects pop up too much at book prizes.

The novelty option sounds fun if your budget can afford it.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

rpirrie wrote:What was your favorite top scorer award that you've seen?
A waffle iron. I think it was initially meant as a neg prize, but Selene or I grabbed it as a scoring prize.

Waffles are delicious.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Seriously though, I spent $18 bucks on used copies of classics. I went online and found that for really not much more I could get some fun stuff like the aforementioned finger puppets. I like the idea of having some fun with this.
Last edited by rpirrie on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

setht wrote:
rpirrie wrote:What was your favorite top scorer award that you've seen?
A waffle iron. I think it was initially meant as a neg prize, but Selene or I grabbed it as a scoring prize.

Waffles are delicious.

-Seth
You're welcome!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

From personal experience, I would be careful about giving novelty prizes, as then there's the desire to outdo what was done the previous year. We had that problem with the neg prize at TJ tournaments, with almost disastrous results.

On a more serious note, I don't see an issue with books. I highly doubt that many people play Quizbowl for fun and fabulous prizes, and to me the individual awards are more of a token of recognition than anything.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Communi-Bear Silo State wrote:We had that problem with the neg prize at TJ tournaments, with almost disastrous results.
Charlie Dees's signature wrote:"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Cheynem wrote:One option might be to punch up the types of books bought as prizes--that is, you can't get too flexible with a budget, but I've always enjoyed picking up non-fiction or history books or even more genre novels like mysteries. Sometimes the same old suspects pop up too much at book prizes.
Yeah, you don't have to restrict yourself to classic literature. I had a lot of fun picking out a variety of nonfiction used books for GT tournaments.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

I gave away The Power Broker to the top scorer last year. I don't know if anyone else thought it was funny, though.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Maaaaan, I'd love to win The Power Broker.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:I gave away The Power Broker to the top scorer last year. I don't know if anyone else thought it was funny, though.
As the recipient, I'd rate the idea "slightly amusing." (Awesome book, though. It took me a few months, but I read it cover to cover. Keep on giving great prizes, dude.)
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

In my freshman year of college, I was once the third leading scorer at a tournament at MIT. Second place got a broken toaster, but I got a pink, yellow, blue, and purple sombrero. Thereafter, whenever I directed a tournament, I compelled one of that year's crop of freshmen to wear the sombrero and stand outside the door to direct incoming teams. I think it's a bad idea to give away appliances that do not work, but a great idea to give away prizes which teams can use to facilitate the smooth running of future tournaments.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

If you have the budget, I would recommend giving a Cadillac Eldorado to the first leading scorer, a set of steak knives to the second leading scorer, and banning the third leading scorer from quizbowl for life.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again