Missouri 18-19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
InfinitePeng
Lulu

Missouri 18-19

Post by InfinitePeng »

Well it's August so it's almost time for a new season of MO QB to begin. Feel free to share your predictions and thoughts on who will be the top teams in the state.

For us personally (St. Joseph Central), we graduate William Gentry which is of course a huge loss but keep the rest of our A team so hopefully we can still remain fairly competitive in our area.

It's pretty clear that Ladue will almost certainly be the top team in the state as they retain their entire team from last year that placed 15th at PACE. Given how much they study they could be serious contendors for a top 5 finish at both PACE and HSNCT.
felix

mizzou 23, st. joseph central 19

MOQBA, PACE
Atlashill
Wakka

Re: Missouri 18-19

Post by Atlashill »

Two big moves are in store for Missouri this season. The bigger of the two moves is *gasp* a change in the format. Citing monetary issues from maintaining the four-quarter format, MSHSAA has adopted a more streamlined 26/26 format. It's essentially an NAQT 22/22 packet with 4/4 math computation added in to maintain the still-present 20 percent math category. This is being billed as a three-year "trial", hence the rapid move to it.

The second move is the modification of scheduling. Previously teams were limited to 14 contests, be it a single dual or a weekend-long tournament. Now, schools have three schedule setups they can use: no duals and 14 tournaments, 10 duals and eight tournaments, or 20 duals and two tournaments. Our top-echelon teams are likely to retain the 0/14 setup except where mandated by their conference affiliation (notably Centralia in the Clarence Cannon Conference).

Speaking of the Clarence Cannon Conference… Louisiana will not be winning it this year. They've defected to the Eastern Missouri. Commiserations to everyone in the EMO who are about to be on the receiving end of Michael Powers' senior year campaign to upend Sam Lockwood's senior year campaign that could end up being resolved in the SSNCT finals… which happen to be pushed back a week onto the same weekend as MSHSAA State. It's likely that our Class 1 & Class 2 schools will simply hi-tail it from Memorial Union on their seven-hour drive to Chicago and make it in late Friday night. However, our smaller Class 3 schools (notably Hallsville) may have a difficult decision on their hands with their state tournament on Saturday.

Oh, and Ladue's going to be virtually unstoppable. Any loss they incur to an in-state foe will be far more surprising than the Royals putting together a winning streak.

Additional teams to keep an eye on:
  • Thomas Jefferson Independent - Savannah Dillard enters her junior year eager to build on her appearance on Missouri B at NASAT whilst regrouping after coming up short against Lakeland twice at state. She could easily be Southwest Missouri's most formidable player, and if the Cavs make their way to SSNCT Open or PACE, they could make plenty of noise.
  • Belton - Last year under their new coach, the Pirates burst onto the scene, winning their conference's division and district titles behind a strong core of juniors led by Tara Hartenbower. They have tougher competition this year, including their moving up to the division that includes Fort Osage and NKC.
  • And speaking of North Kansas City, the perennial power in the otherwise stagnant Kansas City metro returns top scorer Ryan Huynh for his junior year.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

Pretty sure, although, given the history of the program, it should come as no surprise, the level of talent we're seeing from the CCA-esque three headed monster of moses, Akshay, and Raj over at
Ladue is unparalled, even when compared to recent years. I'd go so far as to say that they're stronger than the Ladue of 2013, but we'll just have to see.
Until the season begins, we can't know for sure just how much they've put into it. Still, I'm sure it must be quite a bit, given the pattern of improvement we've seen from the past three years.
Given what I know about their work ethic and studying habits, it's safe to assume they'll be just as strong as everyone is expecting them to be.

What else is there to say about the Missouri circuit? Well, I think things are definitely looking up.
As Kyle outlined, large strides have been made towards the general betterment of the state of quizbowl here as a whole recently.
Lots of good stuff going on here - though you can't mention said good stuff without giving innumerable thanks to the efforts of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance.
Knowing their capacity to influence the way things are run in this state, I trust this is not even the beginning of the positive influence they will have in the coming years, and I'm very grateful to have a chance to be a part of it.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
rpaul48
Lulu

Post by rpaul48 »

I wouldn't go as far as to compare us to 2013 Ladue, but I think we have a shot at doing pretty well this year. As for how our "summer studying" has been going, to my knowledge at least, Akshay and I have probably maintained a rate of studying ~similar~ to what we've kept up for the past year or so, but Moses Schindler has, for lack of a better word, exploded. He's (allegedly) spent about 3 hours/day on quizbowl this summer, which is pretty nice! Expect big things from him.

Something I heard rumors about earlier this year was the possibility of having a NASAT tryouts of sorts to determine the teams. Does anyone know anything about this? Several other states have adopted this and I think it would further legitimize the selection process. At the same time, it might not be very feasible unless it's done (during lunch??) at WUHSAC or the NAQT Qualifier. A separate event might be too big a hassle.
Raj Paul
Ladue Horton Watkins '19
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The season starts on October 13th, with the first tournament of the year being the season opening event at Eureka High School. I'm quite excited for the season to begin, and I hope everyone else is, as well.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Also, all of the announced dates for the season so far are in this thread: http://moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3581. We'd certainly love to have more out-of-state friends join us at Missouri tournaments this year!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

I'm continuing with my project of recognizing all of the teams that earn bids to nationals. The current thread for this season can be found here.
Jacob O'Rourke

Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

Who's already tired of winter? Instead of 30 teams making their way to STARK last Saturday, Louisiana ended up welcoming 20" of snow! And we could be getting more snow this weekend!

Other teams to keep an eye on as the spring half of the season commences:
  • Palmyra - The Panthers were relentless in their first tournament out of Christmas, making routine work out of an A-set at the South Shelby Winter Invitational. With STARK pushed back to February 9th, they now turn their attention to claiming the open Clarence Cannon Conference as a heavy favorite. Mason Mitchell and Chase Goldinger are the Panthers' one-two punch. (Interesting note: as of this post, Palmyra is already registered for PACE NSC, the only Missouri school who is already packing their bags for DC.)
  • Thayer - Garrett Blum is fast becoming the player you don't want to face-off against along Highway 60. He was impressive at state two years ago as a freshman, and now with the Bobcats branching out to 20/20 tournaments, they're quickly filling up the trophy case with top-three finishes.
  • Kickapoo - Several of those top-three finishes have come against the Chiefs, who have developed themselves into Southwest Missouri's quizbowl hub. Taylor Cobb led Kickapoo to a second-place finish at Glendale, followed by championships at Sparta and Clever.
  • Spokane - The Owls are also slowly emerging as a potential power in Southwest Missouri. Still some work to go, but they are keen to develop.
  • Jefferson City - Nick Erickson is perhaps Mid-Missouri's most potent generalist, at least among the region's largest schools.
  • Mexico - Hazen Blair and Logan Jones are leading the Bulldogs into a formidable NCMC. Already they have second-place at CMU's inaugural tournament, with both their losses coming to conference rival Moberly. Of course, they'll also have to contend with the great enigma of the north Kirksville.
Surprises already with MSHSAA's district assignments, following the decision to omit seniors from school populations when determining classifications.
  • Longtime Class One power Thomas Jefferson Independent is now in Class Two, plopped into the same district as their neighbors on Newman Road, College Heights Christian. This will be a Battle Royale.
  • Moberly will have the unique honor of being simultaneously qualified for SSNCT and part of Missouri's largest classification, following their assignment to Class Four with NCMC foes Kirksville and Hannibal.
  • MSHSAA has tweaked how they arranged districts, with most teams relying on interstate travel to get to their potential sectionals foe. The longtime Class 3 District anchored by Hallsville is now basically a keychain, stretching west to Knob Noster. Several of their former foes to the east will constitute a new district, but they won't face off in sectionals. Instead, Hallsville's path for another state championship will have to run west to a district stretching from Holden to State Line Road.
  • Meanwhile, Nevada and Fatima could have another three-hour drive between them for another epic best-of-three sectional.
Berniecrat
Tidus

Post by Berniecrat »

Felix Wang has written a helpful writeup of Missouri teams for Groger Ranks which can be found here: https://grogerranks.com/2019/03/09/miss ... -analysis/
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you played, coached, or moderated at GAC, BASIC, or BRIC and want to discuss the questions, go to the User Control Panel and join the 2019 Masonic/Reinstein Set Discussion.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

So we had a lot of interesting developments this past weekend:
  • Congratulations to Michael Powers for again being the top individual performer at SSNCT's Traditional Public Division! Louisiana finished T-11th overall and fourth among very small schools! Gainesville was 4-6 while Pilot Grove endured a tough afternoon to finish 2-8 (I was informed that the Tigers' last match was against a team that at the time was 4-5??)
  • On the state front, the Southwest is awake!! Congratulations to Exeter for their state title in Class One, and well done College Heights Christian of Joplin for winning in Class Two. John Burroughs School stunned Hallsville in the state final of Class Three (after Hallsville beat JBS earlier in the day), while Ladue (as expected) took care of everyone in Class Four.
  • Best wishes to Columbia Independent, Columbia West, Washington, and Springfield's Reed Academy as they compete at MSNCT this weekend.
  • And some people in St Louis can't stop playing "Gloria".
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Atlashill wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:09 am (I was informed that the Tigers' last match was against a team that at the time was 4-5??)
This is correct (there are a few mismatches of this type late in the day, in part due to the relatively smaller size of the SSNCT field).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred