Alabama 2018-2019

This forum is for discussion and comparisons for southern states, including Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas and Louisiana.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Alabama 2018-2019

Post by Joshua Rutsky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Calendar for Alabama Scholars Bowl, 2018-2019:

August 25: West Point Kickoff Invitational (SCOTTIE mirror)
October 6: Auburn (WHAQ)
October 20: ASCA MS/HS Fun Tournament @ LAMP (Montgomery)
October 27: ASCA Fun Tourney @ Liberty Middle School
NOTE TENTATIVE DATE CHANGE: November 10: 14th Hoover Invitational (IS-177)
November 17: Sylacauga Aggie Invitational
January 5: Russellville MS Invitational
January 10/11: ASCA JV Districts
January 19: LAMP Invitational (IS-179)
January 26: ASCA MS Districts (MS-29)
February 8: ASCA High School District Tournaments (IS-182A)
February TBA: Auburn Winter (TBA, likely IS-181 or BHSAT)
February 23: ASCA ES/MS/JV State Championships @ Hoover High School (IS-178A/182A) (MS-29/MS-30)
April 12: ASCA HS State Championship (IS-183)
Last edited by Joshua Rutsky on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Joshua Rutsky
Coach, Hoover High School, Hoover, AL

Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: Alabama 2018-2019

Post by Joshua Rutsky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 pm

A couple of things to mention here:

1) ASCA coaches should be aware that our Fall Conference will be at the Alabama Power Conference Center in Clanton, AL on Wednesday, October 3. We will offer breakout sessions, open the floor for discussion of rules and changes needed, and talk about our upcoming plans. All coaches are welcome and encouraged to attend! We will also provide workshop certificates for PD credit.

2) There are no major format changes from last year to this year.

3) Plans are in the works for a Women in Quizbowl summit to be held at Sylacauga High School later this year. Expect mentoring opportunities, women from successful teams (past and present) discussing their experiences in the QB world, and an afternoon mini-tournament for attendees. ASCA is proud to be organizing this event, and encourages all interested persons to keep an eye open for further announcements. We hope this one-day event will serve as a model for other states looking to address this issue.

Dates for upcoming events will be posted here as notice is provided.

Regarding ranking discussions and the like for Alabama for this year: At the end of last year's thread, I listed the teams from our state that I thought would be in the hunt for the title this year, and some reasons why I felt that way. After this year's ACE Camp at Huntsville gave me a chance to take a closer look at some of the players, here's my start of year rankings. As always, YMMV.

1. Gadsden City
Sorry, Coach Davenport, but your team gets the kiss of death top ranking to start the year. In many ways, the title is Gadsden's to lose this season. They are fielding a very solid team, anchored by Josh Kelley and Claire Tumlin. Both are good players, and both have valuable experience playing top teams. Claire has continued to improve her lit game, and unless Jenny Baek worked hard over the summer, she's solidified her place as #2 in the state behind Anna Muthalaly. Mustafa looked like he was gaining some momentum as well at camp. This is a good team, and if they can build some confidence during the regular season, they will be very tough to beat this year at state.

2. Hoover
It's hard to rank a team that lost three starters of the four at #2 in the state, but based on what I have seen, Hoover belongs there. This isn't a knock on other teams, but rather a testament to how good Anna is and how talented some of her supporting cast will be. Kapil Nathan finished multiple events at ACE camp in the top five as a rising freshman, and will join a large group of younger players who got a lot of varsity playing time last season. Hoover has three big questions to answer, however, at the start of the year: 1) Who is going to be the science player? 2) Can someone emerge as a consistent history player? 3) Can the team gel into a group that works together? There's a lot of talent, but a lot of question marks as well.

3. Altamont
Vivek Sasse will make this team one that is capable of beating any other team in the state in a given match. His supporting cast will determine how consistently he can achieve that.

4. Indian Springs
Replace Vivek Sasse with Will Smith, and you have the same basic situation at Indian Springs as you do at Altamont.

5. Sylacauga
Will Hughes and company were good enough to make the finals of the ASC TV show last season. They lost Gianna Silva, but they are still going to be solid, especially if Will gets focused in.

6. LAMP
The dark horse team in this group of six. LAMP is very hard to rank, as they have consistently been a solid team, but haven't tipped over into the top tier in recent seasons. This may be the year they do so. They've been travelling to nationals for a couple of years, know what to expect in pressure situations, and have some quality rising players. This may be the year they crack the final four.

7-10. Spain Park, Grissom, Southside, Hewitt-Trussville, in no particular order. These are teams we will need to see before we can judge how far they can go.

That's my best guess for now. There are some very good middle school teams out there as well, but I don't feel like I know enough to talk about middle school rankings.
Joshua Rutsky

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan
Wakka

Post by 100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Auburn will likely host twice this year, once again on an IS set (#177) probably around February, and a fall tournament on October 6th using the WHAQ III set. I'm not sure what we'll call the upcoming tournament yet, but probably something like Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament. I should have an announcement up in the next few weeks.

As far as teams go, I would imagine Hoover will stay strong in state despite losing 3/4 of last year's team. Anna was a really good generalist as a Freshman from what I remember. Hopefully some other top teams can be persuaded to give HSNCT a shot this year!
Chandler West
Auburn University 2016-20xx
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) 2012-16

iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Post by iarehavethestupid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Just a heads up,(correct me if I'm wrong) most likely either Liberty or Arab will host a MS "fun" tournament sometime in the fall. That's all the information I have.

Also, I hate to post this again, but is anybody interested in making a middle school raking(I saw what Mr. Rutsky posted, so not necessarily talking to him) ? I really think Liberty will dominate this year(cue the boos).

Edit: Liberty will be hosting the fun tournement on October 27
Ethan Xu

Liberty Middle School 2017-2019

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan
Wakka

Post by 100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Announcement for Auburn Fall Kickoff using WHAQ III is now up: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 20#p349120. I'll try to send out emails to coaches by Monday afternoon.
Chandler West
Auburn University 2016-20xx
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) 2012-16

Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:36 pm

A tweet from the NAQT Middle School National Championship Tournament sparked discussion this summer about the
role of girls in quiz bowl (#girlsinquizbowl). The ASCA board members who met this summer felt
strongly that, while girls are well represented on many of our teams, we could do more to encourage the
participation of girls in our state. To this end, we have created a survey for coaches and players to give
us a better idea of the current situation, and we are offering our first ever Summit on Girls in Quiz Bowl
to give our current and past quiz bowl girls a voice in how to help us move forward. Rhonda Brewer
(ASCA Secretary) will be hosting the event on Saturday, September 29th, at Sylacauga High School.
This event is open to all coaches and to all current and former girls in quiz bowl. We will have as our
keynote speaker Robin Crews Wilson, a former scholars bowler and the senior pastor at First United
Methodist Church in Opelika. She will talk about her experiences in quiz bowl, how they influenced her
life and leadership style, and offer some advice and encouragement to our young women. The rest of the
morning will be an opportunity to talk openly about the experiences of girls in quiz bowl and possible
strategies to combat negative attitudes. The afternoon will feature a mini-tournament for current
players to show off their girl power, and we encourage coaches and former players to help by serving as
moderators and scorekeepers during the event. The registration is free, but we will charge a small fee for a t-shirt and lunch on site.

We encourage students to register for this event at the ASCA website; you can get there by this link.
Joshua Rutsky

yutid
Kimahri

Post by yutid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

How exactly does a round-robin tournament work? Is it similar to what we did at ACE camp for the Wild West tournament?
Yuti Das

Liberty Middle School 2017- 2019

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:13 pm

yutid wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am
How exactly does a round-robin tournament work? Is it similar to what we did at ACE camp for the Wild West tournament?
Round Robin means that each team plays every other team exactly once. The team with the best record at the end wins.

This is usually only done when the field is small enough to allow it. More often, though, you will play "Round Robin" within a pool and the top x teams will move on to a playoff with the top x number of teams from other, separate pools.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

Adam16
Kimahri

Post by Adam16 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello quiz bowlers! My name is Adam Williams and I am the president of the Alabama Academic Quiz Bowl Team at the University of Alabama. We will be holding our annual William Rufus King Memorial Tournament on October 20 this year. We are now accepting registrations. For now, we are accepting a maximum of 2 teams per school in order to ensure that a good number of schools can be represented at our tournament. However, if we get closer to the day of the tournament and we still have open spots, we will allow schools to register extra teams. Spots are first come, first served, so if you would like to register please email me ASAP. If you have already emailed me about WRK, please email me to let me know if you would like to bring 1 or 2 teams. Furthermore, I ask that if you commit to bringing 2 teams, PLEASE bring 2 teams on the day of the tournament or let me know at least a week in advance if you will not be able to bring 2 teams. The tournament will be played on the IS-176A set. The tournament fee will be $50 per team, with a $10 discount per buzzer set that a school is able to bring. If you would like to register, or have any further questions, please email me at agwilliams5@crimson.ua.edu or the club's account at aaqtua@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you there!
Adam Williams
University of Alabama 2016-current
Buckhorn High School 2012-2016