Need an opinion from my Illinois coach mentors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mr_basque
Lulu

Need an opinion from my Illinois coach mentors

Post by mr_basque »

I would prefer that players not respond to this discussion thread.

The school I coached for in the past has not and seems reluctant to post the coaching position that was vacated when they fired me. The players on that team have a chance to be extremely good and they have worked for three years knowing they would have an opportunity to challenge for the title of top in Illinois.

My question or quandary is, if they do not have an official designated coach can they enter tournaments as unaffiliated, hoping that before ihsa, pace, and hsnct the coaching situation gets figured out. This of course is all hypothetical.

Thanks,
Coach "I'm wearing a bag over my head to protect my identity"
John B.
ACE staff member
jonah
Auron

Re: Need an opinion from my Illinois coach mentors

Post by jonah »

mr_basque wrote:My question or quandary is, if they do not have an official designated coach can they enter tournaments as unaffiliated, hoping that before ihsa, pace, and hsnct the coaching situation gets figured out.
For 4-on-4 tournaments, it's up to the tournament director. For 5-on-5 tournaments, no, they have to play under their school's name. Have they looked into getting permission to play under their school's name but without a coach?

(I got permission to reply, since I'm not a coach. I'm also not a player.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

John--I'd rather respond off the boards; send me an email ([email protected])
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

mr_basque wrote: My question or quandary is, if they do not have an official designated coach can they enter tournaments as unaffiliated, hoping that before ihsa, pace, and hsnct the coaching situation gets figured out.
Teams without official coaches are welcome to attend HSNCT (if need be, via a wildcard application).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
mr_basque wrote: My question or quandary is, if they do not have an official designated coach can they enter tournaments as unaffiliated, hoping that before ihsa, pace, and hsnct the coaching situation gets figured out.
Teams without official coaches are welcome to attend HSNCT (if need be, via a wildcard application).
Likewise for PACE. We ask that teams be accompanied by an adult, who in some rare situations may be called upon to make a decision for a team as a "coach," but that position needn't be official with the team's school.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Yeah, certainly most tournament directors of 4-on-4 tournaments would allow kids in without a coach. Is the team still officially sanctioned as a club, even though it doesn't have a coach?
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

As I understand the rule, (by-law 2.050) while the IHSA would not allow such a team in the State Series, since all teams are required to have an school-approved coach and be registered in the activity, the team would not specifically be prohibited from participating in 5-on-5 local tournaments, with the approval of the local director.

The problem is with other schools who may not be able to compete, since they are prohibited from competing against non-member teams.

As long as the team's school has its membership fees paid (if it has other IHSA teams they are paid) and has their local school's approval to compete on their own, then having a recognized coach present does not directly prohibit their play, if local rules allow it. The issue of course would be getting the schools approval, which is not likely due to liability issues.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

The situation has finally been resolved. The district posted the postion (after emails from parents) and it has been filled by a parent who also works in the district. She will be a member of this forum shortly and North will be traveling as normal to touranments all over the area.

Thanks,
John B.
ACE staff member
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Again, never underestimate the power of parents! :smile:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"