NY NASAT Team?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
a Joe
Rikku

NY NASAT Team?

Post by a Joe »

Fellow New Yorkers,
In light of recent events, I feel that we should probably start discussing this to avoid the problems that plagued last year (Might be a little early, but hey, better too early than too late). So I guess the first question would be if enough people are interested so we can fill a team, and we can go from there.

EDIT: So Who's Interested? :grin:
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
czheng0708
Lulu

Re: NY NASAT Team?

Post by czheng0708 »

Talk to Albert Tai of Hunter College High School. Hunter has kind of been in charge of NY NASAT tryouts pretty much since the beginning. Another person that you can talk to is Ben Zhang of Columbia. Since Columbia is hosting a bunch of high school tournaments, it might not be all that difficult to figure out a way to host a tryout after a tournament or something. Let me know if you need help with anything down the road. But, you're right. It's kind of a bit early. The initiative is totally commendable though!
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Putting on my NASAT Outreach Coordinator Hat: Getting everything together enough to figure out that "hey, enough people want to attend this, we should probably find transportation to Kentucky and find someone to help us get there."

I'll note that Scott Blisch of Upstate New York and Ben Zhang of Columbia have offered to either coach or help with transportation, so talking to them would be a great start for beginning the process.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

A NY team has always been difficult because it's hard to coordinate between upstate and downstate and we haven't really had a formal coach. If there is a coach who's willing to coordinate transportation and other things, I might consider going. I can't imagine, though, that the cost and the time would be worth going to the tournament (for me, at least).
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Crazyflight wrote:A NY team has always been difficult because it's hard to coordinate between upstate and downstate and we haven't really had a formal coach. If there is a coach who's willing to coordinate transportation and other things, I might consider going. I can't imagine, though, that the cost and the time would be worth going to the tournament (for me, at least).
This echoes my position.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Look, I refuse to just let this drop. Can Albert, Ben, or Scott (or anyone else interested in organizing/arranging tryouts/coaching/going) post in this thread/PM me so we can get something going here?
"THE" Joe Feldman

The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Snoopy wrote:Look, I refuse to just let this drop. Can Albert, Ben, or Scott (or anyone else interested in organizing/arranging tryouts/coaching/going) post in this thread/PM me so we can get something going here?
What exactly are you going for here? Do you want someone who is willing to drive a team of kids from all over NY to Ohio for a weekend? Do you want someone who can organize online tryouts of some caliber? If it's the latter, then why can't you do that? I'm so glad that you refuse to let this drop, but I think you have to consider that the reason that it is dropping in the first place is because many players (see Eric's post and mine) don't think that it would be worth it money-wise or time-wise. If you can find some way to make it different from what has historically happened (i.e. the team isn't necessarily made up of the best NY players, but rather of those who live in the same area (see 2012, 2014)), then that would be great. I think that the nature of the tournament - its location, cost, and time commitment - make this difficult. Even if someone was willing to drive that whole distance and to get kids from the NYC area as well as upstate and drive us to Ohio, we'd have to pay a lot.

And for what? NASAT is a great idea and it sounds like a lot of fun. Is it worth a >$500 registration cost with more for the hotels, as well as the use of a whole weekend? Many other teams (Missouri, at least, and probably some more like Illinois) have quiz bowl alliances that help with this kind of stuff. And while there are great coaches like Peter Schmidt who are willing to put in that time, it's a rarity, and for good reasons.

If you're still willing to do this, go for it. Last year, New York sent a team of mostly Long Island kids because many of the people who qualified couldn't make it (upstate people like myself, Aryeh Zax, Eric, etc.). I'd be willing to go if I were convinced that it would be worthwhile. At this point, that's proving difficult.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Crazyflight wrote:Do you want someone who can organize online tryouts of some caliber?
That would be nice.
Crazyflight wrote:If it's the latter, then why can't you do that?
Because, frankly, I have no idea how to go about doing so. I emailed Albert and Ben in November and (quite dishearteningly) never heard back. Look, I'd be more than happy to do it myself, but I just can't. Wish I could learn, though.

As for the remainder of your post, I understand your point. I'd definitely organize the logistical matters (and try to make it relatively cheap and time-saving), since that is my strength, but this is not something I can go about doing alone. I'm not going to try and organize a tryout and look like some moron who has no idea what he's doing and is in waaaay over his head.
"THE" Joe Feldman

The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Snoopy wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:Do you want someone who can organize online tryouts of some caliber?
That would be nice.
Crazyflight wrote:If it's the latter, then why can't you do that?
Because, frankly, I have no idea how to go about doing so. I emailed Albert and Ben in November and (quite dishearteningly) never heard back. Look, I'd be more than happy to do it myself, but I just can't. Wish I could learn, though.

As for the remainder of your post, I understand your point. I'd definitely organize the logistical matters (and try to make it relatively cheap and time-saving), since that is my strength, but this is not something I can go about doing alone. I'm not going to try and organize a tryout and look like some moron who has no idea what he's doing and is in waaaay over his head.
All we did last year was find a reader to do something online on some set. People just played tossups against each other and kept track of which categories they consistently got. A certain amount of people made the cut based on that. I guess it makes sense if you're new and inexperienced, and I guess we all have to start somewhere. I hope someone does give you a response.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'll see if I can get ahold of Ben.

Also, NASAT is in Kentucky.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I'll see if I can get ahold of Ben.

Thanks.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I'll see if I can get ahold of Ben.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
"THE" Joe Feldman

czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Joe, you can PM me. I can try and work with you in coordinating this.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I have no idea what I'm doing yet this summer. If it's staying in NYC doing research, then I may be able to accompany the team to NASAT (with the caveat that I do not have a car). I would be willing to assist with the selection of a team and/or practices for the team, though.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Cheynem wrote:If we do not obtain our minimum number of teams by the end of January, NASAT will be cancelled for this year. HSAPQ regrets this reality, but we cannot afford as an organization to run a 10, 11, or really even a 12 team tournament. Doing so would hurt our organization's ability to promote good high school quizbowl in its many other ways.
I'm not sure if this is still in effect, but if it is, then it might be worth keeping in mind as we move forward. There are four teams registered now.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Crazyflight wrote: I'm not sure if this is still in effect, but if it is, then it might be worth keeping in mind as we move forward. There are four teams registered now.
I'm sure there's a lot of HSAPQ members who are on the boards and pay attention to all the NASAT threads, this one included. I wouldn't be too worried. Yet. :grin:
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Re: NY NASAT Team

Post by a Joe »

I'm very happy to announce that this is happening! Further information will be posted on Monday or Tuesday.
"THE" Joe Feldman