Quiz Bowl in Maine

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
njsbling
Rikku

Quiz Bowl in Maine

Post by njsbling »

Hello All-I am working to get an NAQT State Championship tournament held in Maine on April 20. Does anyone have any contacts in Maine? Thanks
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: Quiz Bowl in Maine

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I wish you luck, though I have never heard of any quiz bowl in Maine. However, I popped a quick search on the NAQT website under schools, and found a list of Maine high schools registered with NAQT: http://www.naqt.com/stats/school-search ... =&STATE=ME
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

Oak Hill in Sebattus used to represent Maine at Panasonic every year, but I've never had any luck contacting them to send invitations to my tournaments in Vermont.

Bill Murphy, the coach at Hanover, would be the only person I know who might have some contacts there -- though even in his case they'd probably be years old. I'll PM you his email address.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yeah, I can't think of anyone who has had any luck getting in contact with any team from Maine for any buzzer-based activity in recent years. Perhaps you can look at the list of participants in the final KMO and see if there's anything to work from there.

May I just ask what your connection is to Maine, and how you plan to organize state championships in so many states where you don't seem to live or know much about the circuit?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

I have no connections to Maine (that is why I am asking around). I've started contacting some schools and some have expressed interest in competing in Quiz Bowl this Spring. I'm sure that if I can get enough schools we can get some staff from Boston to run the tournament.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

That's not what I meant. To be more direct: How do you plan to run a state championship in Maine (and apparently in Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, AND Wyoming) when you're in Berkeley and don't know literally anyone in any of these places? What is your past experience with quizbowl and why do you feel as though you're equipped to get seven state championships running?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

I've been involved this year with expanding the circuit in the SF Bay Area (my main local contact is Jeff Hoppes). I enjoy doing outreach for Quiz Bowl; Jeff and I figured that if we could find interested teams in these places then we can probably get staff nearby to run the tournaments (Jeff and I started at program this year in Sacramento and we are hoping to run an event in Reno in late March and in Fresno in late April). Even if we can't get events scheduled in the other places for this year at least we'll have some more contacts/interested people for next year.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
biggiebird89
Wakka

Post by biggiebird89 »

If someone EVER were able to get more contacts from Maine, that would be great particularly for the New England circuit. When I ran my alma mater's QB tournament in 2011 and '12, we had an average of 10-12 teams total from VT and NH - one of my main goals from 2013 was to expand to Maine to increase participation (unfortunately my control over the 2013 tournament was revoked, and a tournament never ended up taking place), but it would be great to see some kind of "revival" or "injection" of QB spirit to those states with active schools but no "league" or such way to have increased play.
~Garrett~
2011 Graduate - Lyndon State College
Former V.P. - L.S.C. chapter of Sigma Zeta Honor Society
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

njsbling wrote:I've been involved this year with expanding the circuit in the SF Bay Area (my main local contact is Jeff Hoppes). I enjoy doing outreach for Quiz Bowl; Jeff and I figured that if we could find interested teams in these places then we can probably get staff nearby to run the tournaments (Jeff and I started at program this year in Sacramento and we are hoping to run an event in Reno in late March and in Fresno in late April). Even if we can't get events scheduled in the other places for this year at least we'll have some more contacts/interested people for next year.
I think this is a very admirable goal that I hope you're successful at; do you think it'd be better to focus on one region a year to get things going there first, before you target another?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

That is probably best. Some places will be harder than others so I will probably work on those next year (e.g. Hawaii, Nebraska, Wyoming).
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite/maine/
Well, NHBB will give it a shot on Feb. 8 at Greely High School in Cumberland. Every school listed as "expressing interest" is a school Nolwenn visited in person two weeks ago. At at minimum, this should definitely happen. At a maximum, this can be good quizbowl's foot in the door in probably the state with the absolute least going on quizbowlwise in the entire country.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

That's great to hear, David. Congrats on breaking through up there.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Now we gotta get RI on board...
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School