White Station (Memphis, TN) Tournament MS Division 3/3/18

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
tara.sandlin
Lulu

White Station (Memphis, TN) Tournament MS Division 3/3/18

Post by tara.sandlin »

White Station High School (514 S Perkins Rd, Memphis, TN 38117) will be hosting our annual tournament on March 3, 2018. For the first time in a few years, we are including a middle school division in our tournament, and we'd love to invite any teams who so desire to come and participate!

We will be using NAQT MS23 questions at this year's tournaments.

Registration will begin at 8:15 and will conclude around 8:40. We will then hold a brief coaches’ meeting to ensure that everyone understands our rules, schedule, campus layout, etc. Game play will begin at nine, and morning preliminaries will finish before noon. Ideally, I want to offer each team 5 or 6 morning rounds on a round robin. However, since we haven't done this division in a few years and I thus have only very, very rough estimates of how many participants we will have, that is subject to change to accomodate our numbers. Afternoon play-offs will be seeded in a single-elimination bracket, but whether that bracket contains top 8 or top 16 teams will (again) depend on our numbers.

Entry fee will be $55 per team with a $5 discount for bringing a working buzzer system and a $5 discount for every 50 miles driven (one-way). Minimum entry fee will be $50.

Please note that for our tournament’s purposes, middle school teams are defined as those composed of students in grades 6-8, and high school teams are defined as those composed of students in grades 9-12. Schools serving both middle and high school students are welcome to register teams for both divisions, so long as the students on the middle school team(s) are enrolled only in grades 6-8 and the students on the high school team(s) are enrolled only in grades 9-12.

Please contact us at wshsqb@gmail with any interest or questions. To register, please send us an email including the number of teams you intend to bring (please specify that you are bringing teams for the middle school division in your email) and the number of buzzers you are able to bring. If you intend to attend but are unsure of exact numbers at this point, we would greatly appreciate an email making us aware of that so that we can plan as far ahead as possible. To ensure that we have enough staff to accommodate all attending teams, I would greatly appreciate it if all interested teams would register by Tuesday, February 27. I cannot guarantee that we will have space for teams that register after this date.

At this point in time, I am not putting a cap on the number of teams we will accept. We would like as many middle schools as possible to join us, and as I mentioned, I am still figuring out exactly how much interest there is. I will be keeping the field updated on at least a weekly basis. Note that the entire field can be found on my general post, which I will link in the replies below below along with the middle school field.
Tara Sandlin

Syracuse '23
White Station High School '19: Captain 2018-2019; TD 2016-2018; Middle School Outreach Coordinator 2016-2019
tara.sandlin
Lulu

Re: White Station (Memphis, TN) Tournament MS Division 3/3/1

Post by tara.sandlin »

If you would like to see the entire (high school and middle) field for our tournament, please view the following: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... on#p339095

Current MS Field
Batesville Junior High (1)
Collierville Middle (1)
Houston Middle (1)
Memphis University School (1)
St. Louis (3)
White Station Middle (7)
Tara Sandlin

Syracuse '23
White Station High School '19: Captain 2018-2019; TD 2016-2018; Middle School Outreach Coordinator 2016-2019