2018 NAQT MSNCT: Congratulations Pi-oneers!

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2018 NAQT MSNCT: Congratulations Pi-oneers!

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2018 Middle School National Championship Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel in Rosemont, IL, on May 11–13, 2018.

The field for the tournament is limited to 192 teams.
Full details

Qualified teams may now register here

Current field
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: 2018 NAQT MSNCT: May 12-13, Chicago

Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Wildcard applications and standby signups for the 2018 MSNCT are now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

We're pleased to report that the field for the 2018 MSNCT has been expanded to 176 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

We're pleased to report that the field for the 2018 MSNCT has been expanded to 192 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

When will we see finalized logistics, format, schedule, etc?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area

Most of the logistics and format information is available at https://www.naqt.com/msnct/2018/details.jsp. Please let us know if you have a specific question that is not addressed on that page.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Hey folks, I might advise anyone flying to Chicago tomorrow to pack a jacket and maybe rain gear if you intend to do a lot of walking while here. The temperature is turning decidedly colder tonight, making it more like March here than May.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area

Prelim stats for the 2018 MSNCT
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

Considering the fact that this was my last MSNCT appearance, I thought that I might as well make my first post on these forums. Congratulations to Shiva Oswal of Team Pi-oneers for one of the most incredible tournament performances that I have ever seen, and to all the other teams that participated over the weekend. Also, thanks so much to all of the tournament staff, Mr. Hentzel, and everyone who ensured that this tournament, as always, ran smoothly. Finally, I give my thanks to my coach, Kevin Cox, my parents, the members of my team, and all those who have helped me during my quiz bowl journey over the last four years. I look forward to attending (though sadly not playing in) many more MSNCT's to come.

Robert Muniz
Robert Muñiz
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to the Pi-oneers (Cupertino, California), who defeated BASIS Independent Silicon Valley (San Jose, California) 490-335 in the first game of an advantaged final to win the 2018 NAQT MSNCT! Longfellow A (Falls Church, Virginia) defeated Challenger-Berryessa (San Jose, California) 500-300 to claim third place.

Complete team and individual statistics are now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

theclassicsguy wrote:Considering the fact that this was my last MSNCT appearance, I thought that I might as well make my first post on these forums. Congratulations to Shiva Oswal of Team Pi-oneers for one of the most incredible tournament performances that I have ever seen, and to all the other teams that participated over the weekend. Also, thanks so much to all of the tournament staff, Mr. Hentzel, and everyone who ensured that this tournament, as always, ran smoothly. Finally, I give my thanks to my coach, Kevin Cox, my parents, the members of my team, and all those who have helped me during my quiz bowl journey over the last four years. I look forward to attending (though sadly not playing in) many more MSNCT's to come.

Robert Muniz
Robert,
You've been one of the most feared players since you were in 6th grade. Here's to your continued success at the high school level, where it's probably conservative of me to say you're better than 90% of high school quizbowlers already.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
karstenontheshore
Lulu

Re: 2018 NAQT MSNCT: Congratulations Pi-oneers!

Post by karstenontheshore »

I would like to echo Robert's post. Shiva Oswal played incredibly well and it was a great match between us. He undoubtedly deserved that win, as anyone who watched the final match can attest. I was proud of our outcome, although there is undoubtedly a bit of the feeling of "I should have buzzed..I shouldn't have negged etc.". Despite this feeling, it has been a huge honor to have done as well as we did. As someone who had never been to MSNCT before, it is bittersweet to kiss the middle school division I have been playing in for the past two years goodbye. However, I would also like to say that these last two days have held some of my favorite memories of Quiz Bowl. I have met so many new friends, have seen so many great teams (here's to you, BASIS and Midtown), and am so thankful to NAQT, the teams we played, my family, my coach, and most of all, the fact that 987 nerds can spend two magical days in Chicago having the time of our lives.
karsten rynearson
he/him + they/them
phillips academy '22 + yale '26
raft i, ii, iii + newt
K to the A to the R to the S to the T to the E to the HOLD IT! N
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

First of all, congrats to Shiva/Pi-oneers on an outstanding and historic performance. (After the final, Jeff Hoppes said he thinks this is the first time a solo player has ever won a team-based NAQT national championship, at any level, and I'd imagine the same is probably true of NSC and ACF Nationals. So, while I am hardly a member of the quizbowl old guard, I think this is very likely a first for all of quizbowl, for a single player to win a national championship on all-subject pyramidal questions.)
Especially at MSNCT, where all the top teams are so similar in skill level, the value to strong players of having teammates, even if they are only getting one tossup and one bonus per round, is really significant. I'm hugely impressed that Shiva was able to make it through the gauntlet that is the playoffs -- and win the final in pretty dominating fashion -- without that benefit.
the return of AHAN wrote:Here's to your continued success at the high school level, where it's probably conservative of me to say you're better than 90% of high school quizbowlers already.
I think that's incredibly conservative, seeing as he placed 9th individually at last year's HSNCT. It's unfortunate we won't get to see Midtown Classical at this year's HSNCT, but I'm sure they'll do good things in the coming years.
karsten7814 wrote:I would also like to say that these last two days have held some of my favorite memories of Quiz Bowl. I have met so many new friends, have seen so many great teams (here's to you, BASIS and Midtown), and am so thankful to NAQT, the teams we played, my family, my coach, and most of all, the fact that 987 nerds can spend two magical days in Chicago having the time of our lives.
Karsten, you really hit the nail on the head, in my opinion, as to why quizbowl is so great. I love quizbowl not only because the activity itself is fun to spend time doing, but because the people who do it are equally fun to spend time with. To you, and everyone else who played, coached, chaperoned, or was otherwise involved with MSNCT: keep making quizbowl an awesome place. I had a fantastic time getting to meet many of y'all, whether in or outside of a round, and I can't wait to see what you are able to do in the future.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

CPiGuy wrote:First of all, congrats to Shiva/Pi-oneers on an outstanding and historic performance. (After the final, Jeff Hoppes said he thinks this is the first time a solo player has ever won a team-based NAQT national championship, at any level, and I'd imagine the same is probably true of NSC and ACF Nationals. So, while I am hardly a member of the quizbowl old guard, I think this is very likely a first for all of quizbowl, for a single player to win a national championship on all-subject pyramidal questions.)
How soon we forget the 2005 ICT DI undergraduate champion! As far as actual overall champions go, though, I'm pretty sure Shiva is the first.

Congratulations to all the extremely impressive players and teams I saw and read for this weekend. Please keep playing in high school and college!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I have put together an enhanced version of the recording of the Round 20 game between Pi-oneers and Greens Farms. It has been embellished with all of the features that I think should be present in the "ideal quizbowl broadcast" (and the audio has been tripled, so you can actually hear Jonah). Hopefully, I'll have the time to give the rest of the recorded rounds from this, and other tournaments (ICT is next on my list), the same treatment.

This isn't a slight on NAQT or anything -- I think it's fantastic that these things are being streamed at all, and it took me three hours of post-production to do this, so doing it in real time is likely significantly harder and would require more advanced software, but I think it's something that organizations streaming their events can aspire to include some or all of the features from, if they have the time and technical capacity to do so. (I don't know anything about streaming software, so please don't ask me how to implement these things in it.)

Edit: there is one error in the video; Pi-oneers had a prelim PPB of 21.4, not 22.1; that was Greens Farms's prelim PPB.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I've given the same treatment to NAQT's recording of the Round 21 game between Middlesex A and Longfellow A.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:Podcasts are now available of selected matches from NAQT's 2018 Middle School National Championship Tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF