Barrington Invitational Tournament XIV (3.18.2017)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Barrington Invitational Tournament XIV (3.18.2017)

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dear Scholastic Bowl Coach,
Your school is invited to participate in the fourteenth annual Barrington Invitational Scholastic Bowl Tournament on Saturday, March 18th, 2017. This tournament will be staged at Station Middle School, Barrington, IL (215 Eastern Ave). Each match will consist of 20 toss-up (individual) questions, and a maximum of 20 bonus (team) questions overall. This middle/junior high school tournament will be conducted using modified ACF rules to govern match play, which closely mirror the modern IHSA rules for scholastic bowl.
• All bonus questions will be 3 parts and worth a total of 30 points. Each part is asked one at a time, with the controlling team having up to 10 seconds to respond.
• Players on both teams may quietly confer, even while the bonus question is being read (a definite departure from the current IESA practice), but any such discussion should not disrupt the other team’s ability to hear the question.
• The first answer clearly directed towards the moderator will serve as the team’s answer. If conflicting answers are offered, the captain will be prompted to choose. If an answer is incorrect, the rebounding team will be offered a chance to answer within 5 seconds.
• If neither team answers correctly, the correct answer is read and the next bonus part is read to the controlling team.
Each team is limited to 8 players, and we are also only going to permit substitutions at halftime, or prior to overtime. Each school is welcome to enter multiple teams, but each team must be accompanied by an adult or high schooler. I am also going to only guarantee a moderator for each room, which means a coach from each team may need to share the scoring duties, unless the moderator wishes to keep their own score. Each school will be guaranteed seven games. As with the last few years, teams will be separated into three divisions, with a ‘challenge’ division, a ‘standard’ division, and a ‘B’ division. The first team entered from a given school must be in either the ‘challenge’ or ‘standard’ division; the second team can be entered into any division. The ‘challenge’ division is geared for teams that expect to win an IESA regional and vie for a sectional title, or plan to attend the Middle School National Championship Tournament in Dallas this year.
Please fax the attached reservation form as soon as possible, or send me an e-mail ([email protected]) to hold your spot. You are free to send the entry fee at a later time, but I would like to have all payments in hand by February 24th. A letter of confirmation with further details will be e-mailed in early February. Entry fees will not be refunded to teams that withdraw after February 24th, 2017. Please make checks payable to Station Middle School. When calculating your entry fees, it will be $100.00 for the 1st team, $75 for your 2nd team, minus $5/buzzer system you’ll be providing. Do not mail your check without confirming your entry and number of teams and buzzer systems with me.
We look forward to your participation on March 18th, 2017. Teams should arrive no later than 8:30 A.M. The final tournament games should conclude by 4:00 P.M. I can be reached via e-mail at jprice<at>barrington220<dot>org
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Tue May 30, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational Tournament XIV (3.18.2017)

FIELD (10 challenge, 24 standard, 22 "B")
Barrington Station (2 challenge, 0 standard, 4 "B")
Rockford Keith (1 challenge, 1 standard)
Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's Visitation (1 challenge, 1 "B")
Mt. Prospect St. Raymond (1 standard, 1 "B")
Elgin Einstein Academy (1 "B" - 5th & 6th grade team)
Palatine Quest Academy (1 Standard, 2 "B")
Northfield Sunset Ridge (1 standard, 1 "B")
Cary Junior High (1 standard, 1"B")
Bensenville Blackhawk (1 standard, 1 "B")
Lindenhurst Millburn (1 standard, 1 "B")
Rockford Marshall (1 challenge, 1 standard, 1 "B")
Schiller Park Lincoln (1 standard, 1 "B")
Barrington Prairie (1 challenge, 1 standard, 1 "B")
Barrington St. Anne's (1 standard, 1 "B")
Arlington Hts Our Lady of the Wayside (1 standard)
Cary SS Peter & Paul (1 standard, 1 "B")
Normal Metcalf (1 standard, 1 "B")
Rolling Meadows Plum Grove (1 Challenge, 1 standard)
Lincolnshire Daniel Wright (1 Challenge, 2 standard)
Buffalo Grove Aptakisic (1 Challenge, 1 standard, 1 "B")
Buffalo Grove Twin Groves (1 Standard)
Antioch Upper Grade School (1 standard, 1 "B")
River Forest Roosevelt (1 standard)
Bloomington JHS (1 standard)
Chicago Latin (1 Challenge, 1"B")
Chicago Alphonsus (1 standard)
Chicago St. Edwards (1 standard)
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

It appears the tournament will be taking a significant step back this year in terms of the level of teams attending, so we may have to run a much larger "B" level tournament than in the past. It's possible I may need to cap the "B" tournament at 24 teams, so, if you're interested in signing up, please do so soon!
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

On March 18th, 2017, Station Middle School will host the 14th iteration of the Barrington InvitationalTournament. This tourney will use modified ACF rules (powers, no negs, bouncebacks on bonuses), and the question set will be the SCOP MS set. As in the past, I can offer a stipend of $80 for adult moderators (that is, at least in college), and sign off on any volunteer hours that high school-age staffers might require. Moderators should expect to arrive no later than 8:30 AM, and be done at around 4 PM or thereabouts. We also offer a complementary lunch of pizza, sandwiches, chips, and desserts. Let me know if you can help make this tournament another successful one!

Current staff list:
A. Nagib
J. Brown
K. Strey
B. Fischer
S. Levin
C. Hannon
F. Hannon
M. Laudermith
K. Schmidt
Z. Pease
K. Theobold
B. Lu
T. Vaughan
P. Minsker
M. Etzkorn
B. McLain
A. DeMay
A. Silverman
D. Minarik
C. Burnett
I. Ducharme
A. Wang
A. Nadig
M. Taylor
N. Luc
W. Rohner
B. Fitzpatrick
A. DeMay
A. O' Rourke
K. Kodama
G. Prabhakar
V. Marmer
A. Holtermann
G. Coleman
B. Gill
S. Addepalli
A. Bandara
K. Asta
B. Calamari
S. Roytburd
T. Voruganti
V. Reddy
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

We're in a wait-list situation going forward, with the exception of any school wishing to enter a "Challenge" division team.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

The 14th Barrington Invitational is in the books! Complete stats are posted at Neg5 and can be found at the following links;
http://tiny.cc/17BarringtonStandard/
http://tiny.cc/17BarringtonChallenge/
http://tiny.cc/17BarringtonB/

In the Challenge division,
1st = Barrington Station A
2nd = Rockford Keith A
3rd = Buffalo Grove Aptakisic A
4th = Rolling Meadows Plum Grove A

Top scorers: Cooper Roh, Rockford Keith (50 powers-21 tens) 106.67 PPG; Arjun Nageswaran, Buffalo Grove Aptakisic (47-24) 105 PPG

In the Standard Division,
1st = Buffalo Grove Aptakisic B
2nd = Normal Metcalf A
3rd = Palatine Quest A
4th = Rolling Meadows Plum Grove B
Consolation Champion = Barrington St. Anne's A

Other playoff pool winners = Rockford Marshall B, Arlington Heights Our Lady of the Wayside, Chicago St. Edward

Top scorers: Anthony Wick, Bensenville Blackhawk (8 powers - 45 tens) 87.69 PPG; Patrick Kilcullen, Lindenhurst Millburn (21-37) 85.64 PPG

In the "B" Division,
1st = Barrington Station C
2nd = Palatine Quest B
3rd = Rockford Marshall C
4th = Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's Visitation B

Top scorers: Ethan Horng, Rockford Marshall C (11-53) 77.22 PPG, Montgomery Gold, Normal Metcalf B (8-39) 63.75 PPG

Special thanks to all of my excellent staffers, including Brad Fischer, Colby Burnett, Mike Laudermith, Irene & Rusty Ducharme, Adam Silverman, Dylan Minarik, Andrew Wang, Norman Luc, Ali Nagib, Karl Schmidt, Andrew Nadig, Bradley McLain, Everett Underwood, Mark Taylor, John Brown, Claire Hannon, Bill Rohner, Angela DeMay, Koby Theobald, Bryan Lu, Anishka Bandara, Kevin Kodama, Mike Etzkorn, Vikram Marmer, Sid Addepalli, Frank Hannon, Zach Pease, Ben Fitzpatrick, Amanda O'Rourke, Brock Calamari, Kyle Asta, Bissmun Gill, Gretchen Coleman, Vikas Reddy, Roxanne Tang, Tarun Voruganti, Sid Karnam, and a plethora of Station Middle schoolers who'll never see this post. Special shout-out to Ryan Fedewa, who did a great job as fireman, helping slow rooms get back up to speed. And finally, the linchpins of the operational processes, Tyler Vaughan, Kristin Strey, and Donald Taylor, who handle the stats and made things run incredibly smoothly. Have I ever mentioned my assistant principal, Tim Haupt? I don't thank him enough, but every year, there he is at my back ensuring concessions are up and running and that there's enough food for anyone wanting to buy it, that the band room is converted to a hospitality room, and that bleachers and chairs are set up in the gym for my morning assembly. I'm sure there are other things he'd rather do on a Saturday for no extra pay, but he never complains or suggests I not do it.
Jeff Price