Homeschool (middleschool grades) quizbowl teams in Oklahoma?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
918jessica
Kimahri

Homeschool (middleschool grades) quizbowl teams in Oklahoma?

Post by 918jessica »

Please let me know if any homeschool teams already exist in the northeastern Oklahoma area (Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Tahlequah, Muskogee, Fort Gibson, etc.). Thanks! :wink:
Jessica Zbavitel
Seton Home Study
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Homeschool (middleschool grades) quizbowl teams in Oklah

Post by the return of AHAN »

Will public or Catholic schools not play you? I know Oklahoma public/parochial teams have participated in the MSNCT over the past 4 years, so quizbowl definitely exists there. Finding specific homeschool groups might be difficult, though you might drum up interest if you contact homeschool associations in those areas. Good luck to you.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Formiddable Dark Skeik
Lulu

Post by The Formiddable Dark Skeik »

What grade level/year of school are you in or would you otherwise be in? (Assuming you are homeschooled)
Peter Chmiel
Former Station Middle School Player (2011-2014)
Barrington High School Player (2015-2018)

"You are hereby charged that you did, on diverse dates, commit heresy against the Holy Church'"
-Cardinal Fang
918jessica
Kimahri

Post by 918jessica »

Thanks for the good luck. I have recently found out that it may be possible to play on an established Catholic school team, so we will see what happens.
Jessica Zbavitel
Seton Home Study
the return of AHAN
Auron

918jessica wrote:Thanks for the good luck. I have recently found out that it may be possible to play on an established Catholic school team, so we will see what happens.
Good to hear. Policies vary by school and state. I know that, for athletics, our school isn't allowed to schedule teams that don't hail from actual schools (without wading into the legal jargon of our association that outlines this). However, when we play quizbowl tournaments and a homeschool team enters with a snappy nickname like, "King's Academy," no one's the wiser.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
918jessica
Kimahri

Post by 918jessica »

Thanks again!

Can a homeschooled student participate as a member (or alternate) of a middle school Quizbowl team or does the team have to be made up of students from a single school?
Jessica Zbavitel
Seton Home Study
the return of AHAN
Auron

918jessica wrote:Thanks again!

Can a homeschooled student participate as a member (or alternate) of a middle school Quizbowl team or does the team have to be made up of students from a single school?
IESA By-Laws wrote:Students who are receiving their education through home schooling may be eligible at the public school at which the
student would regularly attend, providing they are in full compliance with the following requirements: all eligibility ByLaws
other than the attendance By-Law, the home schooled student's work must be accepted by the school district in
which the student resides and be granted credit toward graduation by that school district, the school district shall
establish a method to monitor the academic performance of the home schooled student on the same basis as for
students in regular attendance at the school, and the school certifies that the student is meeting the minimum
academic eligibility standards for participation. The school at which the student will participate is required to keep all
records to verify compliance with these requirements in the event the IESA is required to rule on the eligibility of the
home schooled student.
So, in short, IESA policy permits member schools to allow home schoolers on their teams, but the reality is that many schools, especially those where participation is on a try-out basis, might be less than cooperative about having non-students on their teams, opting to save those spots for students participating in the full academic day. I, for one, am struggling to recall ANY instance where home-schoolers have participated in anything at our school.
Jeff Price
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

I had a homeschooled student who would come to our building only for my Select Choir class. She only moved to homeschooling around April, however.

I technically had to clear her for our festival performance (I have to deal with MSHSAA in music as well :roll: ) but she was actually a full student at the time.

I had one kid a couple of years ago that was homeschooled and auditioned for the play. I had to leave her off the cast per our principal - it had something to do with insurance as rehearsals were outside the school day. (at least that's what I remember, it was a good 4-5 years ago.)

Now that I type this out I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
918jessica
Kimahri

Post by 918jessica »

Thanks to all posters! Your comments/viewpoints/experiences were helpful.

Our girls were in a parochial Catholic school up until last May. They have attended the same school since they were 3 years old. For next year, the choir teacher has already invited them both (knowing they are switching to homeschool) to participate in the after-school Honors Choir. I can certainly understand that a school would offer a spot on an academic team to one of their currently enrolled students; however, this particular school is very small and needs participants. Also, my eldest daughter was very successful on the academic team last year, and the academic team liaison herself requested that she participate next year (again, knowing that our children are switching to homeschooling). Unfortunately, my younger daughter's class last year was the largest in the school, so despite the fact that she has a memory for facts that is astonishing, that does not bode well for her. I think that an academic team made up completely of homeschool students will be our best bet. :wink:

Is there a specific registration form for this? I have looked for this entity without success so far.

Thank you again, everyone.
Jessica Zbavitel
Seton Home Study
the return of AHAN
Auron

918jessica wrote:Thanks to all posters! Your comments/viewpoints/experiences were helpful.

Our girls were in a parochial Catholic school up until last May. They have attended the same school since they were 3 years old. For next year, the choir teacher has already invited them both (knowing they are switching to homeschool) to participate in the after-school Honors Choir. I can certainly understand that a school would offer a spot on an academic team to one of their currently enrolled students; however, this particular school is very small and needs participants. Also, my eldest daughter was very successful on the academic team last year, and the academic team liaison herself requested that she participate next year (again, knowing that our children are switching to homeschooling). Unfortunately, my younger daughter's class last year was the largest in the school, so despite the fact that she has a memory for facts that is astonishing, that does not bode well for her. I think that an academic team made up completely of homeschool students will be our best bet. :wink:

Is there a specific registration form for this? I have looked for this entity without success so far.

Thank you again, everyone.
Not that I'm aware of. Just keep your eyes open for tournaments in your state, especially those run by colleges and high schools. Those organizations generally don't care about whether a team is part of some conference or association. Just that you have players of middle school age and can pay the entry fee. My team has played against home school teams before, and they've been as you described; a confederation of kids that homeschooled. They called themselves "King's Academy," I guess in case someone objected to playing a homeschool group, though no reasonable person should really care!
Jeff Price
918jessica
Kimahri

Post by 918jessica »

@ Jeff: :grin:

@ Peter: they will be in the 6th and 7th grades next year
Jessica Zbavitel
Seton Home Study
the return of AHAN
Auron

I mean, *I* host a middle school tournament up here in the Chicago suburbs every March. If you wanted to bring your team, we'd likely slap some sort of fake name on your team, just in case a coach got uptight about possibly playing a group of home schoolers. But the only scenario where I could see people raising questions would be if your team looked like high schoolers! :grin:
Jeff Price