2017 Northmont Middle School Set (NMMS 1)

This is the place for middle school quizbowl of all types.

2017 Northmont Middle School Set (NMMS 1)

Postby djones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 am

From the discussion on the boards, it appears that there are an abundance of high school sets, but it seems as though there aren't a ton of middle school sets available. I know in Ohio alone, we had 9 requests of NAQT to use their three regular season sets. Therefore, Northmont will be writing a middle school set for use during the upcoming season. The writing team will be myself, Emily Bingham (formerly of Wright State) and Kara Combs (2017 graduate of Northmont).

The difficulty of the set will be NAQT MS-level. The distribution of the set will be as follows:
4/4 Lit
4/4 Science
4/4 History
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Trash
1/1 Geography
3/3 Beliefs (Religion and Mythology)
0.5/0.5 Math
0.5/0.5 Social Science / Philosophy

Each packet will also contain one extra question drawing from lit, science, history, and fine arts.

The set will be power-marked, and questions will be approximately 4 lines in length. The set will be available for mirrors beginning on October 14, 2017 following our middle school event the weekend before. The mirror fee will be $10 per team. Anyone interested in mirroring the tournament can email me at djones@northmontschools.net or PM me on here.

Mirrors:
Iowa Novice Tournament: September 30, 2017
Northmont Middle School Invitational: October 7, 2017
John Adams Middle School Tournament (WV): Tentative Date October 14 ,2017
Alabama ASCA Fall Tournament: October 28, 2017
Last edited by djones on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
djones
Wakka

Re: 2017 Northmont Middle School Set (NMMS 1)

Postby alexdz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

As someone familiar with the MS landscape, I'm a bit worried that you've got too much fine arts to fill with reasonable middle school answerlines. There just aren't enough creators and works that are studied at the MS level to fill those numbers - 30 tossups and 90 bonus parts is a lot to keep accessible.

For comparison, an NAQT set of 24/24 will have an average fine arts distribution of just 1.2/1.2 over the tournament packet set, and SCOP uses 2/2. That's an indication that maybe something more like 1.5/1.5 would be closer to an acceptable amount of fine arts at this level. You could use the other portion to expand Geo, Myth, and/or Religion, all of which will have more gettable answerlines in middle school than fine arts. Or you could even add to the "big three" categories if you so desire.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
====
University of Illinois ('15-'17)
MOQBA Secretary ('08-'15) ::: MACA Vice President ('13-'15)
South Callaway MS/6th Grade Coach ('12-'13) ::: University of Missouri ('08-'12)
ACUI Region 11 Coordinator ('10-'11) ::: South Callaway HS ('04-'08)
alexdz
Rikku

Postby djones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Excellent point. I may tweak that down a hair once I see the answer lines, though the 7 rounds that are written in their entirely are very accessible for middle school students. I think the scop distribution is good but have always though that naqt grossly undervalues fine arts at the ms and hs levels. I will post here if any changes are made to the distribution.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Postby djones » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am

This set is now being mirrored at the Alabama ASCA Fall Tournament. We would love to see more mirrors around the country. Please email me if interested.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Postby djones » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks to those who provided feedback on the set. Everything is now completely written and is being play tested this week. We did decide to tweak the distribution slightly, moving to 2/2 fine arts and moving the 1/1 over to religion and mythology.

We currently have four mirrors set up nationally and would love to see the set played elsewhere. It will be ready for middle school events (or extremely novice high school events) by September 30th. You can email me at djones@northmontschools.net with any questions.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Return to Middle School Quizbowl Announcements & Discussion