New Team at City College of New York

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
shasn23
Kimahri

New Team at City College of New York

Post by shasn23 »

Hello, I am Shehab Hasan. I was active in Quiz Bowl while at Stuyvesant High School (Manhattan), but because of our school administration's increasingly unreasonable club regulations, I was not as active in interscholastic tournaments as I would have like to have been.

However, now I am a sophomore in college and I am starting a new club/team at City College of New York. Because I have an awesome class representative, I have already completed most of the bureaucratic overhead necessary to start and fund a new club. I also managed to get a good amount of my friends interested. I, along with a few core members, are pretty dedicated and excited to go to and compete in interscholastic tournaments. This website is pretty large, and I am still trying to get my bearings, but if there are any recommendations/advice, I will be glad to hear them.

I have an old friend from Stuyvesant, Douglas Yetman, giving me occasional advice.
Shehab Hasan
Stuyvesant High School (NY) '11
City College of New York
Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education
megatr0n
Kimahri

Re: New Team at City College of New York

Post by megatr0n »

I'm sure you know I'm interested already, but I also met another freshman named Andrew Gannon who did quizbowl in high school and is interested in joining.
Mehnaj Ahmed
Hunter College High School '12
Macaulay Honors College '16
City College of New York '16
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cool! If you need any help, just post here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Hey, welcome to college quizbowl. Glad to see another NYC team springing up. You'll probably find what I've found that being a team in the city is somewhat difficult because it essentially guarantees that there won't be anyone with guaranteed access to a car. It seems like the NYC area is gradually becoming more quizbowl hospitable, though, and with you, us, and NYU in the city and teams like Princeton, Stony Brook and even Yale a Saturday morning train-ride away, I hope we can start getting more tournaments hosted here. For tournaments outside the city, if you want to try to coordinate logistics for something (maybe renting a van or the like for a tournament), Columbia might be interested in that sort of thing in the future too.

Also, we practice on Monday and Wednesday nights. If you want to travel the, like, 15 blocks and come down sometime for a joint practice, I'm sure we'd love to have you.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Start the year off right by coming to Yale's site of the Illinois Fall Tournament next Saturday, October 6! It's at a novice-friendly difficulty level and is only a MetroNorth ride away - plus we're letting new teams play for a highly discounted fee. More details here.

After that, feel free to email me about any other questions you might have - I'd be glad to help.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
shasn23
Kimahri

Post by shasn23 »

@Michael Arnold, going to Columbia for joint practice is an awesome idea! I occasionally visit other NYC colleges when I hear that they have an interesting event or speaker going on, so going to Columbia would be no problem. I am sure a couple of us here would really enjoy visiting. I personally have a bunch of friends at Columbia and it would be fun practicing with you guys. Just to let you know, we are brand-spanking new, so we have not held any practices for ourselves yet. But some of us might be willing to come by as early as next week. I'll get back to you with specifics about a possible day, probably wednesday.

@Matt Jackson, I am defintely interested to going to Yale for a tourny. I'll see if I can drum up some interest and get a team (and money) to go to your tournament. I cannot give any gaurantees though (yet).
Shehab Hasan
Stuyvesant High School (NY) '11
City College of New York
Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education