Potential new program: University of Central Oklahoma

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
dbeshear
Lulu

Potential new program: University of Central Oklahoma

Post by dbeshear »

Right now it is still in the early-formative stages. Having started one program before, I want to see how much better it can be done this time.

The higher-up that is genuinely interested in getting this started (He bought a good buzzer-system just on the chance of putting a team together!) wants an idea of what other programs spend, membership numbers, where all they travel, how much are coaches paid, etc.

I completely understand if you don't want to air your private business here. I believe I have this set for private messages and emails. I'm also on Facebook. I will be contacting Harvard, Chicago, Maryland, Berkeley, Wash U, and some others directly, but information from any school is appreciated, especially since we won't be at that level for at least 4 years.

If can get him to open up the checkbook again, we will be attending MAGNI at UM-Rolla Missouri S&T. (Too many things change over dozen or so years.) If not, we'll see what we can scrounge up.
Dan Beshear
University of Central Oklahoma '13
Co-founder University of Oklahoma Academic Team, 1993
Co-Living Fossil, Coelacanth
mhayes
Rikku

Re: Potential new program: University of Central Oklahoma

Post by mhayes »

Your post reads more like an e-mail instead of a forum message. But welcome to the circuit. I'm not sure if the teams at OU, OSU, and Tulsa are still active, but if so, they would be good people to contact about getting your program off the ground. People here can give you countless words of great advice as well.

ETA: I'm not sure what the closest ACF Fall tournament is to your location, but that would be a great tournament for your guys to attend. Also, I believe WashU is hosting a mirror of the Delta Burke tournament which is aimed towards novice players.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

dbeshear wrote:Right now it is still in the early-formative stages. Having started one program before, I want to see how much better it can be done this time.

The higher-up that is genuinely interested in getting this started (He bought a good buzzer-system just on the chance of putting a team together!) wants an idea of what other programs spend, membership numbers, where all they travel, how much are coaches paid, etc.

I completely understand if you don't want to air your private business here. I believe I have this set for private messages and emails. I'm also on Facebook. I will be contacting Harvard, Chicago, Maryland, Berkeley, Wash U, and some others directly, but information from any school is appreciated, especially since we won't be at that level for at least 4 years.

If can get him to open up the checkbook again, we will be attending MAGNI at UM-Rolla Missouri S&T. (Too many things change over dozen or so years.) If not, we'll see what we can scrounge up.
Dan, you might want to also consider contacting programs that have gotten started more recently (VCU, Mizzou, and Brown come to mind, though I'm sure people can suggest more), since they'll have more useful advice for you as you get started.

Also, as a Chicago alum, I can tell you that Chicago is completely anomalous in terms of budget and travel schedule; I'm not sure if you're trying to get an idea of what an average team's numbers are or what the extremes are, but Chicago is not going to be much use for the former.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

dbeshear wrote:what other programs spend
I put together a budget for everything VCU could possibly pay for in a year and it was $16,000. This assumed 2 teams at most things, flying to 3 total tournaments, and a huge amount for room reservation fees for hosting lots of events. In reality we will probably spend around $4000 this year, about half of that on the costs of flying to, lodging at, and registering for ICT. A program that is not dedicated to going to every tournament will spend less, a program that has to fly more often or sends a second/third/fourth team more often will spend more. And hopefully your school does not charge you to host tournaments, or, like us, you have found other places that let you use rooms for free.
, membership numbers
The average college program probably has 8-12 people who sometimes come to practice, and 3-6 people interested in attending tournaments regularly. Some can regularly field D teams, some rarely can get a fourth player for a single team.
where all they travel
A respectable program will attend the closest ACF Fall, ACF Regionals, and NAQT Sectionals, wherever they may be, as well as all other events within reasonable driving distance, the latter being defined somewhat more liberally for teams in the West. A program that is capable of qualifying out of SCT for ICT should go to it as well as ACF Nationals.
, how much are coaches paid, etc.
Very few teams have coaches. A few of the former College Bowl-only programs that stuck around for the NAQT-ACUI era still do, and I am a freelance "coach" for VCU. I am reimbursed out of the VCU club account for what I spend on gas driving teams to tournaments, bringing my net salary to $0. I don't know if the few schools with coaches who are faculty members pay them or not.

VCU has operated as a very active team since 2002, and has received money from the university once, in the form of $1000 of reimbursement towards our almost $3000 of ICT costs last year. All the rest of our budget was raised by hosting high school or college tournaments. If you can get rooms on campus and plug in a question set from elsewhere, I would suggest doing this often, and you can fund most or all of your team that way without needing to ask members to pony up for tournament fees. Anything you can get from the university is great.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

Matt Weiner wrote: If you can get rooms on campus and plug in a question set from elsewhere, I would suggest doing this often, and you can fund most or all of your team that way without needing to ask members to pony up for tournament fees.
When you say this, you are explicitly referring to hosting tournaments right? how would this work in an area without a developed trivia circuit?
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

fourplustwo wrote:When you say this, you are explicitly referring to hosting tournaments right? how would this work in an area without a developed trivia circuit?
From what I gather, Oklahoma has an active high school circuit, so there should be a decent number of teams that would attend a tournament they host.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

mhayes wrote:
fourplustwo wrote:When you say this, you are explicitly referring to hosting tournaments right? how would this work in an area without a developed trivia circuit?
From what I gather, Oklahoma has an active high school circuit, so there should be a decent number of teams that would attend a tournament they host.
I actually wasn't asking about Oklahoma.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

mhayes wrote: ETA: I'm not sure what the closest ACF Fall tournament is to your location, but that would be a great tournament for your guys to attend. Also, I believe WashU is hosting a mirror of the Delta Burke tournament which is aimed towards novice players.
We are; you can contact our team about it at [email protected] (if you haven't already done so).

The nearest ACF Fall site is, I believe, Truman State; since I don't know if their president wants his email floating across the Internet, I'll send it to you in an email.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
dbeshear
Lulu

Post by dbeshear »

mhayes wrote:Your post reads more like an e-mail instead of a forum message. But welcome to the circuit. I'm not sure if the teams at OU, OSU, and Tulsa are still active, but if so, they would be good people to contact about getting your program off the ground.
Tulsa has something, because they are hosting an OQBA HS tournament on October 15. I think Oklahoma has gone dark again, I have yet to hear back from them and I tried to contact them before posting here. Neither Oklahoma nor Oklahoma State attended NAQT Sectionals in Springfield MO last year. As for sounding like an email, I guess it's just the way I write.
Susan wrote:Also, as a Chicago alum, I can tell you that Chicago is completely anomalous in terms of budget and travel schedule; I'm not sure if you're trying to get an idea of what an average team's numbers are or what the extremes are, but Chicago is not going to be much use for the former.
I'm dreaming big here, I might as well shoot for the stars. The worst they can say is "Yes!" :grin: If I can give them numbers of what a Tier-I perennial National Championship contender spends, maybe I can get a good fraction of it to start and build up (or at least maintain) with WHYDFML. One of the mistakes we made at Oklahoma back in the 90s was that we had significant success on our own, so the admin there saw no need to fund us.

(I just realized that the Chipster was an emoticon here. :shock: Does he still put one Ohio and one baseball question in every packet?)
Matt Weiner wrote:Very few teams have coaches. A few of the former College Bowl-only programs that stuck around for the NAQT-ACUI era still do, and I am a freelance "coach" for VCU.
Damn, I had hoped that at least one of the perennial contenders would have persuaded their school to hire a full-time coach. Oh well, Plan B.

MAGNI is out for us after all, we won't be able to get all our ducks in a row that quickly. ACF Fall is likely in the same position, plus while we could have done Rolla with only one night's stay (6 hour drive), Kirkville would almost certainly require 2 nights (8.5 hour drive). Oklahoma did Gateway in 1999 as a one-nighter, and I slept all day Sunday after the post-tournament drive back to Norman (8.25 hour drive), I was also 29 then instead of 41. Given that I've played at everyone's Nationals at least twice, I doubt I can qualify as a "novice". I can try to get something together for Gateway, but I can't promise anything. Barring something coming up in January, it looks like we'll be putting in our first appearance at NAQT Sectionals.

Thank you for your information so far. I do look forward to meeting y'all in person soon.
Dan Beshear
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Neither Oklahoma nor Oklahoma State attended NAQT Sectionals in Springfield MO last year.
As the TD for that event, I can tell you that OSU was signed up but dropped out last-minute due to weather.

I have a pretty substantial contact list from last year's SCT that I can send you if you want it, with teams from AR, MO, KS, and OK. PM me if you're interested.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
ubungeeek
Kimahri

Post by ubungeeek »

alexdz wrote: As the TD for that event, I can tell you that OSU was signed up but dropped out last-minute due to weather.
Was it the real reason?

User was reminded to add a signature.
Ray Loos
U of T LL.M, 2008
What is a mobile phone signal booster.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What are you implying?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I'm not sure I believe in this so-called "weather" phenomenon.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I-44 was literally closed due to snow that day.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dbeshear
Lulu

Post by dbeshear »

Visa requirements for Romanian citizens wrote:I'm not sure I believe in this so-called "weather" phenomenon.
I do, I had to work in it.

I just didn't realize NAQT Sectionals was the weekend after The '11 Blizzard.

Stretches of northeastern Oklahoma had the most snow and the coldest temperatures since the last glaciation period.
Dan Beshear
KGeee
Wakka

Post by KGeee »

Welcome. We have been waiting for years for UCO to put together a team. The closest team to you is Langston. They scrimmage Oklahoma State regularly. There are four (semi) active teams in Oklahoma that field teams every year: Langston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Tulsa.

There are a lot of different ways to practice, but all it takes to form a team that goes to tournaments is about three to four committed people, and somebody with skills to sell it to the Admin, and it seems with the game show you were on and money won---that shouldn't be too hard. My best advice is to start scrimmaging folks. Edmond is in the center of it all, which would make it relatively easy for you to scrimmage OU, OSU, or Langston. OU practices every Thursday, Langston practices every Wednesday and Thursday. Email me and I'll send you to contacts to Langston to scrimmage, and they have Oklahoma State's.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012