New Team from Arkansas

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
connor811
Kimahri

New Team from Arkansas

Post by connor811 »

Hey y'all, I'm a sophomore at Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas. I loved competing in quiz bowl tournaments in high school (Parkview Magnet High School in Little Rock, Arkansas to be more specific) so much that, after much nagging and encouragement from Caleb Robbins and Jason Loy, decided that I would go about creating a team at Hendrix beginning this coming semester.

I don't really have any specific questions in mind (Jason and Caleb have been great about providing info on the basics), but I was wondering if anyone had tips on starting and sustaining a team at a small liberal arts college. According to the NAQT archives, we once had a team in 2006, but it seems to have died when its original creators graduated. I'd like to prevent that (or an even sooner death considering I'm planning on studying abroad next year) if at all possible.
Connor Thompson

Hendrix College '14
Parkview Magnet High School '10
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: New Team from Arkansas

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

connor811 wrote:Hey y'all, I'm a sophomore at Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas. I loved competing in quiz bowl tournaments in high school (Parkview Magnet High School in Little Rock, Arkansas to be more specific) so much that, after much nagging and encouragement from Caleb Robbins and Jason Loy, decided that I would go about creating a team at Hendrix beginning this coming semester.

I don't really have any specific questions in mind (Jason and Caleb have been great about providing info on the basics), but I was wondering if anyone had tips on starting and sustaining a team at a small liberal arts college. According to the NAQT archives, we once had a team in 2006, but it seems to have died when its original creators graduated. I'd like to prevent that (or an even sooner death considering I'm planning on studying abroad next year) if at all possible.
Well it's good to see Hendrix back on the circuit - I played against that team back in 2006 and I was actually wondering what happened to the team. I don't have any particular advice concerning sustaining a team in your particular situation, however I will say that you'll need to find a few dedicated people that want to keep things going after you're gone. This would be the case even if you weren't studying abroad because you'll leave sooner or later. Just find a few dedicated people that will want to keep things going. In your situation, I might try to find the best sponsor possible and try to get him/her to assist you - also if the sponsor knows how the organization works, he/she may be able to keep things going even after certain students depart.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired