New Team in Connecticut looking for tournaments

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
tiger01px2018
Kimahri

New Team in Connecticut looking for tournaments

Post by tiger01px2018 »

Hi I'm looking to be starting a new quiz bowl team this fall at Kent School in Connecticut. I will be moving to that school this fall after a year at Shanghai American School's Quizbowl team. Basically, I wonder if I could get in contact with someone also from Connecticut, whom I can learn a lot from, specifically regarding tournaments. I am looking forward to any replies.

Thanks,

Tiger
Tiger Li
Shanghai American School
Kent School, CT (future, this fall)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: New Team in Connecticut looking for tournaments

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums!

Here are some details for 2014-15 tournaments in Connecticut:

Yale's Fall Academic Tournament

Yale's BHSAT (spring)

Connecticut Invitational VI

NAQT Connecticut states at Darien
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Hi Tiger,

I'm moving to Connecticut next year too, as a grad student at Yale! The Connecticut quizbowl circuit is small but growing. Jeff already pointed you to the tournaments in Connecticut proper this year; I can't speak for any of the tournament hosts, but it's likely that most of those tournaments will return next year. There are also lots of tournaments in the Boston area and the greater NYC area, as well as some in upstate New York, that may be within range for you. A list of last year's New England tournaments is available here, and the NY/NJ tournaments are listed here. Watch the Northeast Comparisons and Discussion subforum for similar date claim threads to pop up sometime over the summer for next year.

Feel free to email me at the address in my sidebar if you have any more questions, or contact the directors of any of the tournaments linked above. Hope to see you at Yale tournaments next year!
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
tiger01px2018
Kimahri

Post by tiger01px2018 »

Wow I was not expecting replies so soon! But yes currently, I am still in China, but I am very excited to go to Connecticut this fall. Thanks for the replies!
Tiger Li
Shanghai American School
Kent School, CT (future, this fall)
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Hi Tiger,

I'm the captain of the team at Darien High School. We are certainly hosting at least one event next year, and will try to host two. We would love to see your team there! Darien is about an hour and a quarter from Kent. Let me know if you ever want to get on our email list for tournaments (though we will certainly announce on the forums as well).

Stephen Eltinge's advice is spot-on. In addition to the tournaments Jeff Hoppes mentioned you guys should definitely consider attending tournaments in New York (Scarsdale is close to you guys relative to other tournaments) and northern New Jersey (like Mountain Lakes, Livingston, Bergen County Academies, St. Joe's) as well.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi Tiger,
Thanks for playing IHBB earlier this school year in Shanghai! Back in the USA, you can play the National History Bee and Bowl. We have a number of tournaments within an easy drive of Kent each year, including CT states (Newtown), Upper Hudson (Bethlehem, NY), Lower Hudson (White Plains, NY) and our New England Championships (ConVal HS in Peterborough, NH). Check http://www.historybowl.com for listings - the website will begin listing next year's tournaments at some point next week.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad